68 Firebird Motor Upgrade

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

68 Firebird Motor Upgrade

icestorm1998 icestorm1998
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/27/09
04:44 PM

I'm hoping someone in this forum can direct me in the right direction.  I'm going to start restoration on 68 firebird I bought 20 years ago.  My problem is that it's got a straight 6 gm motor with a 3 speed xmission.  Obviously it's not original.  How hard would it be to put a 350 crate motor in it?  Can I use the existing motor mounts, xmission, driveshaft and differential?  Or would it be better just to rebuild the existing 6 cylinder.  I'm not planning on turning and burning in this vehicle.  I'm going to have enough to do on the body without having to figure out motor mount locations and all the other stuff I'll need.  I'm not sure if I have the technical expertise for this kind of extensive work... not too confident in my abilities but I can make due.  

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.  

Thank You  

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 06/27/09
09:24 PM

Several questions come to mind. Is it originally a OHC-6 car, possibly one of the 4bbl Sprint OHC-6 models? If so you could easily locate a correct replacement engine and have a unique sample of Pontiac's "ahead of their time" engine. I suspect that someone may have blown the original engine and replaced it with a common Chevy six using the Chevy bellhousing since the motor mounts (I believe) are the same. Does the car have power steering or A/C? If not, swapping a traditional Pontiac V8 is as simple as replacing the motor mounts (not that PS and A/C are difficult). Is the trans a manual or auto? Depending on what you are doing with it and what engine/trans you use, the driveshaft and differential will likely be fine if in good shape. Try to resist the temptation to install a 350 crate (assuming you mean Chevy), you will be hard pressed to find much support around here for that swap!
By the way, interesting choice of user name, I remember that event well. Many people in our area were without power for 5-6 weeks (eastern Ontario) and the International truck dealer I work for was swamped with utility and tree service trucks for about 2 1/2 months during the cleanup. Those guys broke everything! Motors, transmissions, clutches, differentials, driveshafts....
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!