1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order
Locked Thread

What happened to Bruce Fulper?

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 12/31/07
07:35 PM

Whatever happened to Bruce Fulper? His tech articles were always great real world common sense. Jim Taylor and Ray Bohacz are great too, just wondering why Bruce disappeared. I can appreciate the way he teaches you to "THINK" and not just accept the myths that have been around forever. In the mechanic business, I have often heard old lines about how things are- just because they've always been that way, only to stop and consider how foolish some "old ways" are. Come back Bruce, some people still need you.  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

BruceFulper BruceFulper
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 11/30/08
03:35 AM

Hey Barney: Thanks for asking. Unfortunately the editor has personal problems that he refuses overcome. He'll b.s. about the truth, but hey, I gave him plenty of chances to man up. He simply is afraid I'll take his job.

I wouldn't. Never wanted to. Never had an interest in having it. I was never asked by his boss to take it. But, he still believes I was after it, so he will b.s. you or anyone that asks about the situation.

His boss and I were in negotiations for me to become permanent Tech editor. His boss knew they needed me.
The editor knee jerked, bullshitted his boss, and the whole thing went in the can.

In fact you watch, this post will be flagged and I'll be banned for once again, telling the truth.

You know how to contact me if you need help. I'm only an email or phone call away.

Keep rockin' - (I am!)  Wink  

06:51 AM

Bruce, I was kinda shocked to see you respond, I almost forgot about posting the question! Too bad that politics are what they are. Maybe enough guys will see this post and respond positively. Your kind of advice is greatly needed and appreciated.
Guys, several months ago, I e-mailed Bruce with a question about certain aftermarket cranks, he had no financial gain from answering my question, yet I got a prompt, clear and concise answer that was very helpful. Bruce is a pro and a gentleman, that's my vote.
Steve  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5775 | Joined: 02/08
09:54 AM

Ya I have to agree with that he's got my vote.
Yep, Bruce is the man.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

BruceFulper BruceFulper
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 12/01/08
10:02 PM

Thanks guys.  

Banshee7 Banshee7
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/15/08
01:46 PM

Fulper,

You are the biggest disgrace to the Pontiac community! Your business website wreaks of sociopathic ideals, self-loathing back patting and pathological lies.

I wonder why HPP even stooped so low as to give you a column.

Just a humble individual and not affiliated with ANY respectable Pontiac engine builder.  

Posted: 12/15/08
04:31 PM

Ouch! Well this is an open forum, I guess we have to listen to all opinions. Just curious, did you have a bad personal experience with Bruce or his business? Or just listening to the bad press? Have you actually read the tech topics with an open mind and considered the science behind his claims? Or have you just read and re-read all the ages old misinformation that has been passed along for generations? For example, for many years everyone assumed that because all of Pontiac's factory cams were dual pattern (ie:different specs for intake and exhaust), that you have to use a dual pattern cam to make a Pontiac run right. It has since been proven that due to the design of the cylinder head ports, they actually do make more power with a correctly speced single pattern cam (proven by other well known engine builders, I might add). So what we all "knew was right", wasn't necessarily so and proper scientific testing proves it. If Bruce has dyno sheets to prove a HP loss form running a Brand X intake, who are we to argue? Do you dyno test everything you install? I don't! That's why I look for good PROVEN info where I can get it. Just my opinion, open for discussion (gladly).
Steve  

CedEllison CedEllison
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/11/09
03:48 AM

Well I guess banshee really is a banshee (wailing away)---- otherwise you would have more than 1 post and hidden details (like your real name ?!)  and something to backup your trashing of Mr. Fulper.  Why don't we put all this to rest with a something as simple as a list of Fulpers lies and chance for rebuttal ?  Or maybe a heads up motor dyno test - same block and heads - head to head on the dyno?  I am actually getting ready to buy a motor and right now it looks as though there are a lot of jealous people of Mr. Fulper --- why is that ?  There are a lot of people (actually more) that say he can talk the talk AND he backs it up......It seems he has actually WON something like a drag race or 2 ... how many other builders win NHRA or am I just confused by the exhaust I have inhaled surfing the web ????  

CedEllison CedEllison
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/11/09
03:51 AM

PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee
I have never laughed so hard thinking of the analogies to motors and racing here .... sort of like finding this web page - click on the first link and go further
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=french+military+victories&aq=0&oq=french+milit&aqi=g4g%3As1g5&fp=Xmf0jJ9P_V0
might also be analogous to "wanger racing victories"  

HPP_EDITOR HPP_EDITOR
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 07/14/09
03:15 PM

Barney,

Bruce's response alone should provide plenty of evidence as to why he is not affiliated with HPP anymore. He says the word "truth" a lot to hide from the fact that he is not telling it. There was never any worry about anyone taking anyone else's job. That's the B.S. I simply did not like the way Bruce handled himself in many situations with readers, customers, and anyone else. He was constantly argumentative and came across like a kid in a schoolyard throwing stones at everyone else to get attention. I got tired of it and so did many other editors in this industry. Bruce will tell you we're all afraid for our jobs because of his great talent. That's the biggest lie he has told yet. Being an engine builder does not qualify you be a magazine editor.

This thread will not became a pissing match with Bruce because this is the crap that he lives for, a perpetual argument in an effort to prove he is right when he already knows he is wrong.

This is the one and only response I will make regarding this situation. If this thread turns into a pissing match that revolves around those who like and dislike Bruce or if Bruce himself continues to make snide inaccurate comments, the thread will be pulled.

This thread has been here since 2007 and it took Bruce a year to answer. In that answer he said the thread would probably soon be pulled. Again a typical schoolyard challenge and again he was wrong.

Regarding this "man up" crap, Bruce and I have had plenty of heated face to face discussions in the past. The fact that he would use terminology like that to infer that anyone is afraid of him is simply ridiculous, child-like, and untrue.

Barney,
Please don't misunderstand my intent with this response. I'm not attacking you in any way. Your question was a valid one. Bruce replied with his interpretation of his truth. I responded with what actually did happen. Bruce has unnecessarily made too many enemies in the Pontiac hobby through his actions and attitude, so I no longer felt he was good for HPP.

Tom DeMauro
Editor HPP  

inthewoods inthewoods
User | Posts: 90 | Joined: 05/09
05:01 PM

Well said and sad but true-A lot of hard working,decent people hace been turned off by Bruce's twisted use of an excellent forum-I guess he was a fan of the movies-
Like has nothing to do with mechanical aptitude or ability,experience etc.
We all are here to help and discuss problms,issues with our chosen brand of cars.
Being an engine builder qualifies you to be an ENGINE BUILDER.

Thank you for your talent,sharing and mag that is worh reading and saving.
Pontiacs since 1964--  

06:06 PM

In response to HPP_EDITOR, (I assume we are talking to Tom DeMauro?)
Thanks for your side of the story, as Mom always said "there are two sides to every tale". Obviously there is a lot of bad blood and hard feelings between the magazine staff and Bruce so I won't push the issue. As I stated above, my personal experience with Bruce was a good one and I value his opinions on engine building, 'nuff said. Beyond this issue, Thanks, Tom for a great magazine and your continuing work for the Pontiac hobby as a whole. The hobby is big enough for all of us, hopefully we can all be big enough to accept each other's opinion.
Steve (aka barneyformula)  

HPP_EDITOR HPP_EDITOR
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 11/07
Posted: 07/15/09
05:30 AM

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that you enjoy the magazine.

Tom DeMauro  

lynch409 lynch409
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/06/10
04:56 PM

hey yall,
just a word, I.E. Bruce Fulper. In 1999 I took my motor out of my 1964 rag top and took it over to bruce.I found bruce by making phone calls and finally contacted him. Bruce's shop happened to be only about two miles away from my office.During the build I had the opportunity to stop by reguarly to check on the 389's progress. It didn't take me long to figure that bruce was a real car man and lived the pontiac. I also noticed back during that time that Bruce spent a lot of time defending himself. I later challanged Bruce in his responses. It became apparent to me that any real car guy with grease in his fingernails liked Bruce. It also became apparent that soap smelling pansied didn't like Bruce. With all this background Bruce has indeed become compasinate. Ever been in a garage in the evening talking car.If there is no compasion there is no car buff.  

captainpontiac captainpontiac
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/26/10
06:51 PM

I own one of Bruce's motors, should of built it myself. Nice taillight warranty. Nice fake dyno sheet. I know this since when I turned motor, I realized the water neck gasket was not secured. if Dyno'd, should of thrown water all over, it did when I turned the key. Made it exactly 1 mile beofre roller rockers fell off, Told me he would send someone to fix it as long as I paid for airfare and hotel. In my opinion, He should write for marvel comics, because he's a joke.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last