pontiac 326.

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

pontiac 326.

nisent nisent
New User | Posts: 27 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 07/27/09
09:17 PM

hi im looking at possibly buying a 67 lemans it has the original 326 im had my cousin look at it (the car is in pa 325 miles away.)so icant look at it myself what i was wondering the motor hasnt been run since 1990 it turns over but probably should be rebuilt. is the motor worth rebuilding i mean can it be built to be a good strong street engine and have enough torque to be fun on the street or should i look for a 389 or a 400.my 79 ta has the 400 and that has plenty and thanks to pontiac 8 mans help it s fun all the way around now with the 3.23 gears.any advice about the 326 would be helpful i know nothing about that engine.
if it cant be made to be a nice street motor ill rebuid it otherwise ill save it and put in something that will,any advice would be helpful,thanks nisent.  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5777 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 07/28/09
07:03 AM

Yes the 326 can be made to be a great performer and has plenty of potential.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

nisent nisent
08:17 AM

hey thats good because i was hoping to keep the original engine but not have a dog.once you get used to alot of power its hard to settle for less.oh how are they as far the torque i know hp will be there but roughly what kind of torque  would i be able to get.i want it to still run on pump gas but still have nice torque.icant imagine it will be the same as a 400 but somewhere near there would be nice.any advice will help.thanks nisent.  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
09:11 AM

Do you know the casting numbers on the heads.  

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
09:12 AM

They are capable of making a respectable amount of torque.  

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

nisent nisent
09:46 AM

hi no i dont know the casting numbers the car is 325 miles away and my cousin loked at it for me i asked him to check for them he didnt because he was mostly there to make sure the body was as the guy said. the car wont be here for about a month he bought it but hes not able to bring it up till then.thats good to know that the engine will work one thing when iget the car home id like to know where to get a rebuild for it and ill ask for sure what should be done as far as the heads cam.thanks alot youve been very helpful,nisent  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
10:16 AM

I would try www.northernautoparts.com for the rebuild kit.
the only thing is depending on the heads that is on it you may have to have the chambers opened up to achieve a 9.5:1CR and no higher to run pump gas because some of the 326's had 10.5:1CR.
Your welcome any thing else just ask.  

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8