High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Extremely low oil pressure! HELP

69GTOby 69GTOby
Guru | Posts: 1114 | Joined: 02/09
Posted: 10/13/09
07:56 PM

I changed the t-stat from a 160 to a 180 because the higher temp yields a more complete and effective air/fuel burn.  I was driving home from school on the highway, the engine ran at 170* and had 40 psi oil pressure at 70 mph @ 2,900 rpms.  As soon as I exited the highway and stopped at a red light the oil pressure gauge dropped to about 5 psi.  Engine temp was about 175*.  Ohhh ***  
1969 GTO resto in progress. '76 350+.060, #13 heads, 9.2:1 CR, Lunati cam, Edelbrock Performer, 750 Holley, HEI, Ram Air manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust. TH400 trans w/shift kit and 2400 stall.  235/60/15 front, 275/60/15 rear on Rally II 15X7s.  GM 12 bolt posi with 3.73's.

Opontee Opontee
Guru | Posts: 1422 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 10/14/09
12:37 PM

Fram oil filter?
Low oil level?
Oil pump came loose?
Bad sending unit?
Clogged oil pump screen?

Most of these have happened to me.  
OponteeOpontee
Anna Mae quit. Opontee

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
01:09 PM

First thing first, check the pressure with another guage. If still no pressure, pull the distributor and check the pump drive, try to spin the pump with a primer tool in a drill if possible to check for pressure. If still no psi, pull the pan and start looking in the bottom.
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

69GTOby 69GTOby
Guru | Posts: 1114 | Joined: 02/09
05:13 PM

I knew I had a small oil leak so I went looking under the car today.  You know the piece that the oil filter screws on to?  It was leaking where that attaches to the block.  There was oil cooked on the trans, block and oil pan in that area.  And the area was wet with oil.  

I replaced the gasket and drove the car around.  Oil pressure never went below 15 psi at idle.  When I revved the engine to 4,800 a couple times the oil pressure went to about 50 psi.  Still not great...  

I am using a new mechanical gauge.  I am using a Fram oil filter...  Whats wrong with Fram?  
1969 GTO resto in progress. '76 350+.060, #13 heads, 9.2:1 CR, Lunati cam, Edelbrock Performer, 750 Holley, HEI, Ram Air manifolds, 2 1/2" exhaust. TH400 trans w/shift kit and 2400 stall.  235/60/15 front, 275/60/15 rear on Rally II 15X7s.  GM 12 bolt posi with 3.73's.

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5777 | Joined: 02/08
05:41 PM

There is nothing wrong with fram oil filters.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

dab_70.goat dab_70.goat
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 10/17/09
10:19 PM

SOMETIMES A N INTAKE manifold leak will cause a drop in oil pressure( when you stop at ared light, lower rpms etc..) Check the simple things first. I one time put synthetic oil in my vette after running Castrol 20w-50 for yrs. and my oil pressure dropped like hell and I had a small leak in which i never had. I drained that out and put my old oil in , my pressure returned and my leak disappeared. Remember, check the simple stuff first. Don't be afraid to jump in there and attack the problem. Listen to these guys on this site. You will gain alot of knowledge and they are very eager to help. Most of us have had some freaky mystery that was baffling. Just to find out it was something simple. Good luck Bro, Dave  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/17/09
11:22 PM

i have an important question...

how much oil did it take to bring the level back up to the full mark on the dip stick after the drive and then the oil filter adaptor gasket install... and if you put a new filter on it..

if you changed the oil... how much came out..  

it is easy to damage rod, main and cam bearings.. when you run it low on oil... at speed..

don' t be afraid to post.. we have all done it at least once...  

mildchild mildchild
New User | Posts: 41 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 10/18/09
01:39 PM

i had the internals come apart in one that i used. ruined my engine in my subaru. had to buy a new turbo, crank, rods, everything except block. had to do alot of cleaning on it to. sent the filter to fram and told them what happend and they said it was due to too high oil pressure. 85psi+ was their definition. and that never happened. so i was s.o.l. i will never use another fram again. napa gold is just a few dollars more.  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3949 | Joined: 06/09
06:15 PM

The fram oil filter literally came apart internally? I've used them since 1978 -
I didn't know that could even happen! You mean the inside of the filter got sucked up into the engine?  

David46 David46
User | Posts: 82 | Joined: 01/08
07:13 PM

The fram oil filter is not the same as it was a few years ago. The management at the company is completely new and along with the new management, came a new design for the filter (which is a piss poor design). I use to trust fram until i saw one cut in half along with a few other brands and frams barely allow any oil to pass. I'm going to say it's the fram oil filter cause i've heard nothing but bad stories about them  

mildchild mildchild
New User | Posts: 41 | Joined: 12/08
08:12 PM

it didnt get sucked into it. it got a hole in it. the wire mesh fell apart or something and started cycling thru. it stopped filtering though. basically a snowball effect. a little metal turned into alot of metal. i had no idea til i drained the oil for a routine oil change. my turbo went out a couple weeks before hand but i thought from just normal wear. it had prolly 100+ thousand on it. but when the oil came out i started piecing everything together.  

Brazil Brazil
Posted: 10/19/09
04:46 AM

Wow! That's a trip - I just put a Fram on my new 400 rebuild yesterday, now I'm looking at it with an eyebrow lifted. I started to get a Perolator but it was so much smaller I thought the part number was a mistake and went with the Fram. Which brand do y'all trust now? How 'bout the Mobil or STP?  

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
05:18 AM

Guys, while I too used Fram for years, I started hearing horror stories about 5 years ago and started using Wix at the suggestion of a good friend (and my personal "parts counter guru"!). I've had no problems with Wix (Firebird and race car)or the Fleetguard filters I use on my family cars either. I have no scientific eveidence to back this up, so this is all heresay, but it never hurts to listen to what others have had problems with.
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

Brazil Brazil
06:49 AM

I've never heard of Wix, is that a Canadian brand?  

Brazil Brazil
06:57 AM

PS. Steve, I'm putting in my new floor pans this week. I couldn't believe what I found after removing the old carpet and pads, including my wedding ring that I thought I had lost forever, which was lurking a half inch from a big rust hole!
Brazil  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last