Addict | Posts: 3956 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 07/15/10
04:27 PM

Yeah, me too.  

1969_CustomS 1969_CustomS
New User | Posts: 43 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 07/15/10
07:42 PM

Guys, your being admirably modest.  I don’t think anybody would really criticize someone who would share their set-up.  It's really a great way to make improvements and I am very interested in learning anything I can about how these cars respond to tweaking. My bragging neighbor has a Mustang GT and I really want to show him a few things  about Pontiacs!  Do share, if you feel comfortable.  Maybe I will kick it off by starting a new thread with my set-up.  Thanks again for the input.

Lou  
1969 Custom S

Posted: 07/16/10
05:07 PM

Looks like my detailed post of my set-up info is pretty lonely in that new topic.  Went over like a Babe Ruth in the swimming pool. Ahhhh.

Update:  Adjustments higher than the factory 8 cyl water setting did not go well.  In a very very short test ot the 9 and 10 cyl settings, there was light pinging and a loss of power.  I get the best power at the 7 cyl setting. Today while running an errand, some guy in a very new shiney black F150 with some fancy rims and some fancy mods tried to whoop up on me, but gave up after first gear.  I think most of his defeat came from Ole Cussy's roar.  Musta soiled himself or something. Wink  
1969 Custom S

Brazil Brazil
05:50 PM

Awwww, did old Cussy make the poor dude mess himself?  well, his fault - **** happens. Grin  

Brazil Brazil
06:02 PM

69 CS,
On a serious note, a friend across the street from me has been reading your posts and put together his own water injection setup just out of curiosity. It's just a weird Frankenstein kind of thing, but it definitely improved the performance on his truck.  

06:50 PM

Brazil, that pretty cool!  He should post results if he can.  The Edel kit I have is working pretty good, and I cant complain for 60 bucks.

Have a nice relaxing weekend guys!  I am going camping.  
1969 Custom S

dimitrim dimitrim
User | Posts: 76 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 07/20/10
11:07 AM

I used water injection in my '68 400.  I was pumping straight water through, with the largest water orffice and it still detonated. I did not try using a methonal mix.  

Good luck,
Dimitri  

Posted: 07/23/10
12:23 PM

Update:

I put the Holley 670 back on for power test and it's fun to drive but guzzles the sauce as expected.  I changed the jetting for power and a rock solid A/F ratio all though the curve with no dips and no loading up. A/F rides at about 12.5 to 13.5 ratio in city and highway driving.  The water injection was reset to the 8 Cyl from 7 and likes it there the best.  

New jetting to make this work:

front: 72
rear: 74
Power valve- 8.5
pump cam- orange
pump shooter- 31
silver vacuum spring (for now)
4 hole one inch spacer
12 degrees of initial, all in by 2600 RPM
91 octane California blend

Absolutely no detonation-  especially with the low quality fuel out here in California and it also varies greatly from station to station. I like the water injection with out a doubt. Wink  
1969 Custom S

Posted: 07/23/10
12:35 PM

FYI, This was my previous set-up before I went for the power tune on the same carb:

Main jets:  70
Secondary Jets: 68
Pump squirter- 35 cc
Power valve- 8.5
Pump cam- Blue
Secondary Vacuum Spring- Purple
Open one inch spacer

This ran nicely, but I noticed a slight low RPM cruise lean condition that lasted for a few seconds.  Corrected it by jetting up to 72 and lowering the squirter to 31. The water kicks on at about 1000 rpm and I can hear the water pump whine when I gas it up hard.  
1969 Custom S

Posted: 07/24/10
11:31 AM

OK, I am settling on this new combo with the water injection set up:

Holley 670 Street Avenger (older carb, bought used on Craigslist, likely about 4-5 years- I recently rebuilt)

Main jets: 70
Secondary Jets: 72
Pump squirter- 31 cc
Power valve- 7.5
Pump cam- Orange
Secondary Vacuum Spring- lightest yellow
Four hole- one inch spacer
K&N extreme Air filter
11 Degrees of initial
600 RPM idle @ 12.5 A/F and 13.5 at highway

Running good with a noticeable kick in power at 3000 RPM.  Right after the re-jet/ power valve swap this morning I went to get gas and a guy pulled up in his shiney and spanky modded Mustang GT and we had a little run.  He didn’t run away, but just walked away from me.  Although I knew he might, it pissed me off anyway- lol.  At that moment, I decided to get my gears that I have been wanting, so off with 2:56 one legger and into a 3:32 limited slip.  I will be looking for captain Mustang again to make amends. Wink

Also- wondering if anyone else has this carb and cares to share a set-up?  
1969 Custom S

Posted: 02/11/11
11:37 AM

I posted some pictures of the water injection.  So far so good.  Went through about 3 gallons of distilled water since the install last summer.  No detonation.  I swapped the Edelbrock carb back on last month and leaned it out 3 stages on the primary and advanced thoe total timing to 36 Deg at 2300 RPM. No loss in power from leaning the carb and no stumbles. A/F ratio is 12-16 depending on my right foot. Mostly running about 15 at cruise. She runs great.  I just had the rear gears done, so I cant wait to see how this combo pulls after the break in.  
1969 Custom S

Mike.wk1 Mike.wk1
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/06/11
06:36 PM

I have a varajection unit as well that I want to install. I got it used and it didn't come with instructions. Would I be able to get a copy of your set. Thanks!
Mike  

QZone QZone
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/12
Posted: 02/02/12
10:12 PM

I just came across this thread. Man, does this bring back memories! Back in the '70s when they took the lead out of the Hi Test gas, my '69 GTO used to ping like crazy on the "new" unleaded premium gasoline. I built a water injection system out of a windshield washer pump and a couple of jets from old VW Solex carbs, and activated it as required with a switch on the dash. It worked like a charm to kill the ping, but hitting the switch every time you wanted to pass something got old in a hurry. I bought one of the Edelbrock Vara-jection kits to replace my home-made system but sold the car before I got it installed. Come to think of it, the Varajection kit is downstairs somewhere still in it's original box.
Thanks for the memories! I haven't thought about that water injection system for decades. It sure worked sweet, and you've never seen such clean spark plugs - the water seemed to strip off all the carbon build-up.  

Prev |  1 |  2