Transmission front pump seal replacement

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Transmission front pump seal replacement

tom67bird tom67bird
User | Posts: 72 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 07/15/10
10:31 PM

Hey Poncho friends,has anyone replaced the front transmission pump seal, with the trans in the car? Shop is too expensive,I'll do it. Is it doable? Thanks!  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 07/16/10
05:25 AM

You will have to separate the engine and transmission.  
idrivejunk

Dave327 Dave327
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 04/10
09:17 AM

Is there room to put a couple of long bolts through the bellhousing and slide it back far enough to get the converter out of the way without having to remove the transmission? I've only done it with the transmission out of the car. I hope it goes well.  

tom67bird tom67bird
10:03 AM

Thanks! I was thinking long threaded rods. Cool. Its my 98 s10 pickup. Put too much fluid in it , floored it to pass a very slow lady and covered her in white smoke ha!  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 08/09
10:38 AM

there is not enough  room in any application to slide an automatic transmission back and change the torque converter seal...

you have to disconnect the same amount of stuff to do it..  rent a transmission jack..  borrow one..

buy one..     price around..  some shops will do them for less. but you are going to get what you pay for..

which model transmission????   what application..

to drop the automatic transmission.. you only have to bring the transmission back an inch and a half and lower it..      to get the converter off the input shaft.. you will have to pull the converter  about 10 to 12 inches forward to clear everything..

when putting it back in.. there are 2 sets of splines to get it seated on .. and the flats on the converter hub have to fit into the inner gear of the front pump...   if you force it in..  you will destroy the front pump...

if the torque converter slips forward while you are lifting the transmission..  it has to be spun and verified that it is properly and fully installed..

you also have to check the hub on the converter.. make sure it is not worn where the seal rubs and where the front pump bushing rides on it..

post the transmission model...  the car model...  

Opontee Opontee
Guru | Posts: 1422 | Joined: 07/09
11:09 AM

If you put a straight edge across the front of the tranny, the convertor should be approx 3/4 of an inch back behind the front of the tranny.

Looks to be a 98 S10. Probably has the 4..3 v-6!?  
OponteeOpontee
Anna Mae quit. Opontee

tom67bird tom67bird
12:33 PM

Thanks guys, it's 4L60E in a 98 chev s-10 pickup, 2 wheel drive, 4-3 v6  

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
01:23 PM

No way to do it in the truck. Been there and done it, you will have a tough enough time getting the bell housing bolts out let alone moving the trans back.  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!