Clutch chatter or shudder in car??

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Clutch chatter or shudder in car??

jbmacneil jbmacneil
Enthusiast | Posts: 542 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 11/28/10
08:37 PM

Hey Guys, got the 1970 GTO home today, but noticed that the clutch has more of a shudder in the car than a chatter. I dont remember, are these clutches adjustable? It does not engage until the clutch pedal is almost all the way out, and it does the shudder more so in reverse than first.  I will get some photos posted up here in the next few days!! Cant wait to show my friends on this site my newest purchase!!! Thanks for the help Folks.  JB  

gto66 gto66
Enthusiast | Posts: 488 | Joined: 11/08
09:55 PM

Yes you should have a threaded rod on the outside of thr tranny on the throwout fork that will let you adjust the throw of the clutch.
As per Motors repair manual
1. Remove anti-rattle spring
2.loosen swivel jam nut
3.With cluch pedal against stop and lash removed at clutc, adjust for lash by rotating fork adjusting rod into swivel or push rod 3 1/2 turns and tighten lock nut
4. Install return spring and check free pedal travel; should be about 1 inch.

I am sure everyone will want to see pics.

Bob  

jbmacneil jbmacneil
10:32 PM

Thanks soo much Bob!! I will post some photos soon!! Thanks again my friend.  JB  

Torqued400 Torqued400
Addict | Posts: 2479 | Joined: 10/08
Posted: 11/29/10
06:36 AM

Congrats JB, enjoy your new goat. That chatter may be a worn out clutch and or pressure plate/ throw out bearing. Could just be adjustment, but I know me and 4 speeds (Like to dog um) Shocked That's why I have an automatic but I dog it too Grin It's to easy to do with a Pontiac. -T   PS: Get some good back tires. Wink  
"We build Excitement"

mb68bird mb68bird
Enthusiast | Posts: 468 | Joined: 06/10
08:26 AM

Depends on what type of clutch is in the car also. Long style, diaphram....etc  

My71 My71
Guru | Posts: 1254 | Joined: 02/10
08:59 AM

After you adjust the clutch, if the shaking is still there, chances are the flywheel/clutch disk has been burnt. (this I know from experience LOL)If the flywheel and/or pressure plate is heat cracked then it/they will especially need turning if not out right replacement.

Congrats on the new vehicle JB.. Enjoy!!!  
Jim,

jbmacneil jbmacneil
11:27 AM

Thank you my friends! I will be doing alot with the car today.  Going to the dreaded dmv first.  Changing the oil and so on.  Will get those pics posted tonight!! Take care all and have a great Christmas!! Will be here before we know it!!!  JB  

Torqued400 Torqued400
Addict | Posts: 2479 | Joined: 10/08
02:04 PM

Yeah, I need a new timming light Santa  Grin  
"We build Excitement"

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
02:40 PM

Can't wait for a peek at it! I would go ahead and plan to replace the clutch, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and transmission mount, for peace of mind. And a properly adjusted clutch rod makes a lot of difference!

Have fun! Cool  
idrivejunk

65pmdgto1 65pmdgto1
Enthusiast | Posts: 506 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 11/30/10
09:54 PM

Before you dive into a clutch job don't forget to check the motor mounts also. Junk already mentioned the trans mount, also loose cross member even rear control arm bushings can act like a clutch problem. Let's see this Goat.  

jbmacneil jbmacneil
Posted: 12/02/10
12:26 PM

WOW, Thanks 65PMD!!! I didnt even think to look at those items.  See, thats why this site is so awesome!! People like you.  I will let you know what I find, I finally have some time today to go out to my heaven on earth, (Garage) Grin and have some therapy!!! I have been taking care of my Rotty who has had a bad left rear leg, and he needed nursing back to health. Lots of prayers answered, and thank you Lord, cause he is doing great!! JB