Rear end identification help!

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Rear end identification help!

bs.phillips bs.phillips
New User | Posts: 23 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 03/07/11
10:37 AM

I am about to go look at a 10 bolt "posi" from a 69 Gran Sport to put under my LeMans...Anyone know where I can look up the Buick casting/part/serial numbers so I know what I am looking at?? Are the numbers/codes the same or similar for Buick/Olds/Pont?

I figure if there is a guy with the answers in his head out there somewhere...He will  be here, on these forums, sooner or later! =)  
"The Green Monster"

My71 My71
Guru | Posts: 1261 | Joined: 02/10
12:28 PM

the only thing I could find on Buick rear ends is at the following;
http://www.buickperformance.com/axles.htm  
Jim,

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2567 | Joined: 12/09
01:30 PM

Icon Quotebs.phillips:
I am about to go look at a 10 bolt "posi" from a 69 Gran Sport to put under my LeMans...Anyone know where I can look up the Buick casting/part/serial numbers so I know what I am looking at?? Are the numbers/codes the same or similar for Buick/Olds/Pont?

I figure if there is a guy with the answers in his head out there somewhere...He will  be here, on these forums, sooner or later! =)

The GM Corporation 10 bolt 8.5 inch with square bottom.,. This is the preferred rear end.

10Bolt85inch

10Boltrearends

The 7.5 inch with "claws" and less preferred.

10Bolt75inch

(Edited, pic added}

Grin  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

bs.phillips bs.phillips
03:20 PM

Well, I bought it. Paid more than I wanted to, but less than I woulda iffin I had built  my 8.2 or another 8.5. I believe this is an 8.5. Maybe I can ya'll can figure it out.

I did score a '70 rear bumper that needs to be rechromed, but it has no dents...for 100 bucks...sweet!!!

I can't seem to post the pics i took...But the numbers are 123/5 and 67890. The latter being a date code. Both numbers are on the left side rear of the cast iron "pumpkin." It is neither of the above pics. It has the "notches" on both sides of the 10 bolt cover. I will post a pic iffin I ever figure it out. Crazy  
"The Green Monster"

My71 My71
03:55 PM

bs,
if it has the "notches" then it's most likely an 8.2 corporate rear end which is the least preferred..  
Jim,

My71 My71
04:00 PM

Does it look like this?
Jim,

bs.phillips bs.phillips
05:19 PM

yep...but dirtier!  
"The Green Monster"

My71 My71
Posted: 03/08/11
04:31 AM

That's the Pontiac/Olds/Buick cover for the 10 bolt 8.2 corporate rear end.. really the weakest rear end GM made.  
Jim,

Torqued400 Torqued400
Addict | Posts: 2479 | Joined: 10/08
06:30 AM

Which one is this guys Grin
Moon Car005  
"We build Excitement"

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5162 | Joined: 12/09
07:17 AM

Man, TQ'd thats one of them dang stamped housing, "hog head" rearends from like 55-65, right? Is that yours?  
idrivejunk

Torqued400 Torqued400
Addict | Posts: 2479 | Joined: 10/08
10:42 AM

9" Ford. When I bought that 27 Chevy the man had a used Currie posi lying on the floor that he was going to put in the 27, well we made the deal cause I pointed at the 9" and told him I'd give him such and such for the whole shebang and the deal happened. Ended up about 1200. and another 1100. to have GM mounts welded in. With Wilwood disc and somewhere between a 3.50 and 3.90 gear I'm a happy camper and still cheaper than buying a Currie off the showroom floor. The cool thing about it is it's 1" forward from the stock mount (you can't tell) but it's like an Altred car from the 70s, better traction ? no wheelhop. Anyhoo sold the 27 and had the 9" left over.-T  
"We build Excitement"

idrivejunk idrivejunk
04:41 PM

LOL- I get them and 9"ers confused - no ring of bolts on the backside. Sounds like you wheeled a decent deal on your setup, man. Smile Thumbs up!  
idrivejunk

bs.phillips bs.phillips
Posted: 03/09/11
03:52 PM

yep. it's the 8.2 allright. i pulled the cover and it seems to be the bolt in axles...not the "c" clip ones. The rear is outta '69 gran sport. seems that Buick beefed up the 8.2 in '68-'69 for the GS 350 & 400 those years. from what I am readin on the Buick sites...seems the 8.2s with the bolt in axles have 8.5 internals. I have not pulled it apart far enough yet to count the axle shaft splines...had surgery on my right hand yesterday so i am limping...sort of...I tell ya'll one thing...

Iffin' you wanna torture a gearhead? Give him a new part then immediately hobble his dominant hand!!! My girlfriend is making me stay at her place 'cuz she doesn't want me to do anything stupid. In her words "...if I let you stay here (my house) you'll just take pain pills 'til you can't feel anything and do it (tear down and/or install the new rearend) anyway." "...I'll have to be taking you somewhere, so it might as well be my house (as opposed to the hospital...again)!"  
"The Green Monster"

bs.phillips bs.phillips
04:08 PM

BTW, IDJ...I am Soooo glad u got to keep the GP. Sorry 'bout the Olds though... I was seriously considering calling and talking to u about the GP...I was gonna make u an offer to buy the thing, swap out the 455 and rear for my 400...then offer it back to you at a DEEEEP discount, or make it my daily driver. But, once again life got in the way and I had to get my hand cut up...I work for the Gub'ment but my health insurance isn't THAT good. Co-pays & deductibles ate up any extra cash for the Green Monster!!!  
"The Green Monster"

idrivejunk idrivejunk
05:56 PM

Thanks! I reckon I'm glad things worked out like they did- I got rid of the primered rides and kept the shiny Pontiacs! The 455 was found by pure blessed fate, and I was about to build a huge mistake of a 400. Still trying to unload the scraps from that. You ever try to get rid of a 500557 block? I don't think I could even find someone to haul it off if I offered them ten bucks, and its even clean! Sucks on the hand getting cut. Musta been serious. Maybe you can use HER right hand instead!
Grin Wink Blush  

B-O-P trans and axle guts sure can deviate from the "norm". I worked with a cat who was an Olds service tech since '73, and he told me about some of those things where certain cars got better internals. I do miss the days of scouring boneyards for sought after factory upgrade goodies. Glad the axle purchase wasn't a total bust.  
idrivejunk