High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

harmonic balancer bolt reverse or regular thread?

High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

harmonic balancer bolt reverse or regular thread?

71455formula 71455formula
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/11
Posted: 04/15/11
06:18 PM

Forgive me for asking, but I was wondering if the harmonic balancer bolt on my 71 455 is regular or reverse thread? It is very tight, I don't want to strip it. Also is the head of the bolt 15/16?  

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1225 | Joined: 11/09
06:56 PM

It's regular thread I'm not sure of the head size . I think mine was 7/8 use whatever size socket that fits .  

65pmdgto1 65pmdgto1
Enthusiast | Posts: 504 | Joined: 12/07
07:15 PM

They are 15/16".  

gto66 gto66
Enthusiast | Posts: 489 | Joined: 11/08
07:50 PM

correct gtojack &65

Bob  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 08/09
08:48 PM

this is a great investment.

usually under 25 bucks...   there are 18 1/2 inch versions and 24 inch versions...  and versions with rubber grips..

the idea is look close at the head...  its on both sides of the handle..  much stronger in my opinion.. but longer when in close quarters...

the trick to getting the really tight crank bolts loose...  except on hondas... is to insert the breaker bar in such a way... its laying on the frame..... up under the frame... laying at an angle against the ground.  use the starter to spin the crank just enough to break the bolt loose....

and before you thing about the nice version with the rubber grip.. it makes it harder to slip a pipe over the handle to really twist off the various bolts that are unforgiving..

ONE THING..... DO NOT EVER USE THIS TO TIGHTEN LUG NUTS WITH...  use a short version .. a cross handle... A TORQUE wrench (click type...)... why....

this happens to your wheel studs...  these bolts were identical...

Stretchedbolt2  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5771 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 04/16/11
06:53 AM

Yep 15/16 is the socket size you will need.
Standard thread.
When reinstalling the bolt torque it to 160FTLBS.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5000 | Joined: 12/09
07:25 AM

I've had to just stand on the end of a breaker bar and bounce a little, but I like the starter trick. An impact works, too. I do know that if you don't put all of that 160 LBS torque on the reinstall, the snout of your balancer will eventually break.  
idrivejunk

waynep7122 waynep7122
09:47 AM

IDJ i like the idea of standing on the end of the breaker bar...  oh thats right you have never seen me..  i did watch a really nice monte carlo back into a parking spot the other day.. when some weird noise happened.. the owner got out and walked the other way... i noticed that the crank bolt and washer had fallen out..  i tried to tell the owner that he had lost something..   but he said.. its not mine..   i picked it up and tossed it into my pile of stuff in my car..  i wonder when he will loose the damper..  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
11:03 AM

Yes wayne its a good opportunity for bloodletting! Grin

Hey if I ever get that far west, I'm definitely gonna holler at y'all. (As if. Frown)

My luck that crank bolt would have fell out while he was on an overpass and I was on the underpass and I woulda caught a bad-lucky bounce. I was on Power Tour once and watched a bolt fall off an oncoming bobtail. Total face shot but all I got was a divot in the windshield, it was like a 5/16 bolt. WHACK! Then the oil drop runs up the glass ...  
idrivejunk

waynep7122 waynep7122
11:31 AM

running over things....  i was getting on the freeway out here a LONG time ago.. hit a giant pothole with the front wheel of my GTO... i heard a tinkling sound then click click click...  i pulled off and my L60-15 was flat...  the pot hole had knocked the front end hard enough that it knocked out the alignment shims..  then the back tire ran over them...  letting out the air and deflating my EGO..  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
12:26 PM

Aw bunk, tough break. I've seen a guy use a combination wrench instead of shims because it wouldn't fall out, ha ha!  
idrivejunk

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3891 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 04/17/11
06:30 AM

My 5'7" 130 lb. body doesn't have a lot of torque, but I use the "stand on the breaker bar" method - it just takes me a little longer. I chose this method after having a friend hit the starter to break loose that bolt and he held the key on a second too long. The bar went flying past my head and I found it a half hour later in a neighbors backyard two houses down.

A sawed off chain link fence post, or the handle of my floor jack is usually my breaker bar "extension."

Wayne, where did you find the fancy one in your picture?  

waynep7122 waynep7122
07:34 AM

az.....  open the image in a new window... you will see the part number in the URL...

Great Neck 1/2 in. drive socket 24 in. breaker bar with snap Part Number: 38002
Duralast 1/2 in. drive 18 1/2 in. chrome vanadium steel breaker bar Part Number: 72-123

the great neck version is what i have several of..  

harbor freight has similar versions..
1/2" Drive 25" Breaker Bar Item #67933
1/2" Drive 18" Breaker Bar Item #67932

there are also ratchet type versions..  and quick release????  i just like the versions with the big round head that fits over the single ring shaped bar end...

the ratchet type may not survive my attempts to remove fasteners..  

one thing.. i use them to loosen the bolts and lug nuts.. then use something smaller to finish the job.. the length and weight make them hard to spin like a smaller tool... but .. you will never ever strain your back using one of these...  unless you do so...  picking it up... they are NOT light..  

i actually have a 3/4 inch proto version around someplace for the really tight bolts.. like old VW rear axle nuts..   until i found one of these.. i used the 3/4 inch version daily.. with a 3/4 to half reducer...

if you are tearing down motors...  or doing a late model head job...   you will really need this...  i have found the head bolts in so tight that it took 2 of us pulling on the 24 inch version to get them loose..

when putting the last 1/2 turn on TTY head bolts...  you can get a easy quarter turn on the head bolt.. then rotate the socket a quarter turn on the breaker bar...  then pull another quarter turn...  makes life easy...

people have reverted to all kinds of ways to stop the cranks from turning when loosening the crank bolts..

Tercel Crank Pulley Tool Close

this is one of the tools to hold the honda accord cranks while the nut is loosened and tightened...

Htup 0804 04 Z%2Bremoving Honda Engine Crank Pulley Nut  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3891 | Joined: 06/09
11:00 AM

Wayne, I did the "homerun breaker bar pitch"  back in the days when a tape recorder transport motor was the most torque I was dealing with....didn't take me long to learn!   It's around the same time I learned not to reach for a dropped bolt under a running wire brush on a Craftsman stand grinder when you have long hair.

Shocked  

instg8ter instg8ter
Guru | Posts: 971 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 04/18/11
05:22 AM

OUCH Braz....sounds like a hard lesson....use to have to worry about that back in the days when my hair was down to the middle of my back, these days (Kojack) i just need to watch the draw cord of my Hoodies  
http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g372/instg8ter/1966%20Tempest/

"learning as i go, and going as i learn"

Brian

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last