Window roller handle removal w/ towel?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Window roller handle removal w/ towel?

GC420 GC420
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 07/30/11
05:32 PM

I have a Haynes manual that says I can remove the window roller handle by wedging a towel between the door panel and the handle itself. DEFINITELY NOT WORKING! Looking behind the handle it looks like their is a cotter pin holding it in place but I can't seem to fit any kind of tool in there.

HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE WINDOW HANDLE TO REPLACE? Broke the handle rolling down the window which I know is common but I've never replaced one and this Haynes manual is CRAP.....

What do I need to do fellas Confused ?  
"It's too close for missles Goose I'm switching to guns!"

Greg

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3298 | Joined: 01/07
07:05 PM

Go to just about any parts store and ask for the tool to remove GM window cranks. It is a flat "fork" that slips between the panel and the handle, you just align it with the knob end of the handle and slip it in to push the horseshoe clip out and pull the handle off. They are pretty inexpensive, usually under $10.
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 4987 | Joined: 12/09
07:41 PM

I have made a tool from a coathanger, just a small hook, and used that in a pinch before. Pardon my crude drawing but it shows the wire clip in red and a hook in green, and thats what the handle looks like from the backside. When using the proper tool (second pic), you come in under the crank end and it pushes the clip loose. Beware, the damn thing will go flying and you may never find it. So be ready for that, don't unclip it over a grassy area.

Handleclip

IMG 2767  
idrivejunk

GC420 GC420
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 06/11
Posted: 08/01/11
11:15 PM

I knew that towel business was no good! Thanks again guys.  
"It's too close for missles Goose I'm switching to guns!"

Greg

waynep7122 waynep7122
Enthusiast | Posts: 672 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/02/11
07:39 AM

i have thrown a shop rag in dozens of times on this subject...

dragging the hem of the rag through the gap to grab the wire ends and yank the clip out of place...

it does work... it's usually faster than searching for the proper tool...  i have a lot of drawers in my tool boxes and it does not always get tossed back into the proper drawer.. but thats my fault..  

Torqued400 Torqued400
Addict | Posts: 2479 | Joined: 10/08
08:43 AM

The towel is probably so you don't lose the wire clip. I have used screwdrivers to take them out before and those clips go flyin. -T  
"We build Excitement"

big-g-67gto big-g-67gto
Guru | Posts: 905 | Joined: 07/10
08:47 AM

IDJ, could not have done better with an ech a scetch...... Cool
i thought ever one had a door handle tool.....

Grin  
I got that Tin Indian GRIN!!

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2534 | Joined: 12/09
11:44 AM

I've used table forks before, with the teeth spread apart.,. works in a pinch.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3887 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 08/05/11
07:21 AM

I've had that tool in my "random stuff" box for years and never knew what it was for until now.  Crazy  

akatsilometes akatsilometes
User | Posts: 52 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 08/05/11
08:24 PM

Yup, get the Jesus clip remover.  I know you guys know why it is called a Jesus clip!