Ad Radar
High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

What is the BEST soda/sand blaster on the market?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

What is the BEST soda/sand blaster on the market?

jbmacneil jbmacneil
Enthusiast | Posts: 542 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 10/21/11
05:44 PM

Hey Guys, any suggestions on what would be the best available soda blaster on the market?? Affordable of course, like the $299 BadBoy soda blaster that you can also use as a sand blaster without any conversion kit.  Just thought I would bounce it off you, because there are some areas on our cars that you just cant get the paint off of without a soda blaster or maybe a good drill and wire wheel.  But I am getting tired of the wire wheel shards stuck in my legs Grin Any help is appreciated!! JB  

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
06:57 PM

Speaking from experience I can tell you not to buy the Harbor Freight unit.  They cost about $100 and 30 minutes after I started using it the bottom valve had a hole in it.  Now to be fair any part in contact with the sand will eventually ware out but the hardened steel or ceramic valves last a lot longer. But come on 30 minutes!

I can also tell you that if you put sand in it once you will get sand out forever and ever. So I would have to recommend dedicated pressure units. Convertible seems like a good idea but it is not as partial as it appears. You didn't say what you are trying to accomplish with the blasting but I assume you want to remove paint with the soda and rust with the media.  The soda is not too bad to clean up since it dissolves in water but blasting media is an awful mess and it gets into absolutely everything everywhere.  And I can almost grantee you will find some of it dribbling out from somewhere when you paint no matter how diligent you are about cleaning up the mess.  

Also you will need a huge volume of air. I have an 80 gallon two stage compressor and it runs almost constantly while I am blasting.  If the blaster says you need 10 CFM your compressor needs 15 CFM at the end of the hose or you will work it to death. Don't let your compressor over heat! And your air MUST be dry!

If you are just trying to remove a little rust or recondition small parts get, or make, a blasting cabinet. Also,check out the post "Article 3 - Rust and Restoration".  Electrolysis works extremely well and it is cheap. its drawback is that it is a line of sight operation.  I use electrolysis a lot so if you have questions about it - ask.

If you do blast make absolutely sure you have a very good respirator and full hood, gloves and ear plugs. A blaster can destroy you life in a careless instant - protect yourself

Hint: I have a leather hood with a laxan window.  Before I blast I tape a sacrificial plastic sheet over the laxan. when that gets all hazy i can just tape on a new one and I can see again.

www.sodablasting.com and there is one called www.tptools.com/ I hope this helps a little.  Don't forget be safe!

Milt  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
07:11 PM

I have done little sandblasting, only in a cabinet. No soda blasting at all. Nothing to add except to say nothing compares to blasting for rust and coating removal. I imagine this is indeed an item where you get what you pay for.  
idrivejunk

jbmacneil jbmacneil
07:29 PM

Thanks guys!! JB  

killerponcho69 killerponcho69
User | Posts: 67 | Joined: 10/11
08:57 PM

JB I got a soda blaster and it worked good. I had to do some trial and error and error and so on. Smile I bought mine on craigslist. It is an Eastwood unit. It's a smaller unit but workes well. The only thing I need to do is buy a large compressor. Good luck, Ken.  
From out of the white cloud, the 455 powered S/E Poncho walked all that challenged this Killer Poncho!!! killerponcho69

Thank you, Ken.

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 10/22/11
05:40 AM

Here is  another site for sand blasting stuff and they have an information section sandblaster-parts.com  

mb68bird mb68bird
Enthusiast | Posts: 468 | Joined: 06/10
11:25 AM

When all is said and done its cheaper to pay someone else to do it. If you figure out the cost of the equipment and the electricity to run the compressor and your time and the mess.In this economy there are guys that will do it for $50 depending on what it is and how big of a job.  

jbmacneil jbmacneil
01:09 PM

Thats a good point Bird!! I am the type however that even if it costs more in the long run, I like to do it myself, even if it requires learning Grin JB  

jbmacneil jbmacneil
01:12 PM

Hey Ken, how many gallons of soda will yours hold, because Iam seriously looking at the Eastwood models as I have bought other stuff from them and have been very happy with the product as well as the service.  I am soon to have a 60 gallon, 5 horsepower, IR compressor that I think should work just fine, what do you think Ken?? Also, is your soda blaster a dedidcated one?? (You dont run anything other than soda through it).  JB  

killerponcho69 killerponcho69
User | Posts: 67 | Joined: 10/11
08:27 PM

Icon Quotejbmacneil:
Hey Ken, how many gallons of soda will yours hold, because Iam seriously looking at the Eastwood models as I have bought other stuff from them and have been very happy with the product as well as the service.  I am soon to have a 60 gallon, 5 horsepower, IR compressor that I think should work just fine, what do you think Ken?? Also, is your soda blaster a dedidcated one?? (You dont run anything other than soda through it).  JB

JB the unit i have is the small one. I think it will hold a #50 bag of material. I usually put half of that in. I believe it may work better then full...but I could be crazy??? Any way, if you will be doing larger items I would go with the bigger unit. I picked mine up really cheap (70 bucks craigslist). If I would have had the money I would have bought the big hopper. Eastwood is a great name and an awesome product and expensive. That being said, I would check out Harbor Freight. Most of their stuff is poop, but realiscally, it's a hopper and a couple generic valves. The water seperator is crap so get a quality replacement. I ran a disposable inline moisture filter before my water seperator. You want to keep ALL moisture out of the hopper. The valves do clog sometimes but once you figure out the mixture (product to air pressure) then it's not so bad. If you haven't already, checkout Eastwood's video on soda blasting. The object is to get the stream of product comming out of the gun to be mostly transparent. The only problem I found is with the gun Eastwood and HF give you. It is very difficult to see where you are aiming. I found a gun on Northern Tool that has a cone that stickes out in the direction you are shooting. There are 2 "deadman" blasting guns on NT...155519 and S1565. As for your air supply that will be very good. I have been using a 33 gal 5hp craftsman compressor. I works but I do need a bigger air supply. Good luck and I hope I am of some help to you. Ken.  
From out of the white cloud, the 455 powered S/E Poncho walked all that challenged this Killer Poncho!!! killerponcho69

Thank you, Ken.

jbmacneil jbmacneil
11:06 PM

Hey Ken, youve definetly helped me, and no, youre not crazy, I have been told by my friend that does alot of sand blasting, that whether sand or soda, that if you do not fill the hopper all the way, it allows for better air displacement in the tank or some other "crazy" crap Grin   I know that harbor freight has a 40 pound and a smaller version soda blaster, they actually look pretty cool in a light blue color.  I saw a video on youtube of a young man that was using one and he was very happy with it, and didnt have anywhere near as powerful of a compressor as I will ( in a couple days) and it was working great.  I dont know about now as its been a few days, and like my other friends have said, most harbor freight stuff breaks within the first few hours.  I will probably pop for the eastwood single tank version. I will let you guys know.  JB