High Performance Pontiac
Prev |  1 |  2
Item Posts    Sort Order

Iron Duke or Iron anchor?

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1250 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/10/11
07:40 PM

The 82 Camaro with the 2.5 iron duke was one of the 50 worst cars of all time !

There was a time when 90 horsepower was a lot, and that time was 1932. Fifty years later, it was bupkis, especially under the hood of Chevy's beloved Mustang-fighter, the Camaro. As the base engine for the redesigned 1982 Camaro (and Pontiac Firebird), the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder "Iron Duke" was the smallest, least powerful, most un-Camaro-like engine that could be and, like the California Corvette, it was connected to a low-tech three-speed slushbox. So equipped, the Iron Duke Camaro had 0-60 mph acceleration of around 20 seconds, which left Camaro owners to drum their fingers while school buses rocketed past in a blur of yellow.  

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 11/10/11
08:04 PM

Jack, I drove a few of those Duke powered Firebirds back in the day, you know, test drives from dealer lots and road tests as an apprentice mechanic. Truly one of the automotive world's gutless wonders! My 80 Camaro Berlinetta with the 267-2bbl/auto/2.56 gears wasn't much better. I regularly got beat by loaded dump trucks light to light! Sad! It is amazing how small cube engines have finally come of age and are now making way more power than our beloved V8's did back in the 70's and 80's. My brother has a supercharged Cobalt SS with the stage 2 upgrade that makes 240hp! remember when the 225hp 5.0L 'Stangs were big news?
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1250 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 11/12/11
06:51 AM

I never seen many iron duke firebirds most of them had the 2.8 v6 engine and that was a dog ! It's amazing what they can do with a 4 cyl engine now !  Shocked I wonder how much HP you could get out of a iron duke now ? But it sounds like a waste of money !  Confused Iron Duke 4cyl 90 HP ,v8 267 115 HP ,v6 2.8 112 HP . They were all dogs ! Only 25 HP more from a 4 cyl to a v8 ?  Tongue  

RumRunner1 RumRunner1
Enthusiast | Posts: 580 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 11/22/11
11:33 AM

Yes Gentlemen, the tempest 4 was really half a 389,seen a few up close.. cool engine in its own right. the 2.5 fiero engine was the duke. this "pontiac" design engine found its way in many a gm body, marine, and jeep frame rails, I suppose from the web sites I posted, the fiero Indy 4 was the bad boy on the block (so to speak) and the S-10 chevys recieved the stronger castings the indy fiero got that one too.. but your run of the mill fiero and other puddle jumpers got the less desirable casting. nonetheless, they can be built with factory stuff and push the envelope to 200+ horsepower. the sites include tips and stuff if anyones interested. I forsee spending $$$ on the porting and carburation/ignition/machining.(the usual suspects).. as much as it seems a waste of greenbacks this would be a novel approach for a open wheel hotrod weighing in at a svelt 1,800 lbs and sidraft carbs.. I fully agree they aint the best choice for strip duty or red light showdowns, but. a cool idea in the rat rod world where the small chevy is the dominant choice. even the flathead ford enthusiasts pay boookoo bucks just to have what? 200hp!! this is a fun debate, I see all the points..remember, there aint no way i would drop a sbc or a sbf in my Pontiac. i would love the bragging rights and leave people wih their jaws open sayin cool 4 banger dude "what is It???  
Widetrack,Superduty,Ram-Air.The chief will never die!

Darkitec Darkitec
User | Posts: 124 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 11/25/11
08:44 AM

That story so reminds me of the little Isuzu pickup I had about 15 years ago.   The 4 cylinder ran pretty well with no load, used to drive it back and forth between Arizona and Kansas during the holidays. The truck only weighed in around 2800 lbs. so the 95 horses could get it up to 70/75 MPH with out much trouble. But with any kind of load or strong headwind I was lucky to keep it going 45/50MPH  especially going up the mountains in New Mexico.   I was getting passed by semi's like I was sitting still.
The moment the semi's got in just the right spot and blocked the wind I would suddenly be able to get back to 65MPH, but once they left that sweet spot it was like driving into a brick wall. Completely opposite of the throw you back into the seat feeling a powerful V8 gives you.  Can anyone say steering wheel taste test?

God that was a fun little truck.  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3945 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 11/25/11
06:39 PM

Sounds like me in my turquoise 1965 VW Beetle shoving the 3 foot tall shifter in first gear trying to get on the freeway. If I was lucky I could hit 40 before everyone honked. It was fun too - not sure why.  

RumRunner1 RumRunner1
Enthusiast | Posts: 580 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 11/29/11
10:11 AM

you know fellas", the more I see the "tempest 4"(half a 389) in that picture that was posted on page 1. the more I like the idea of finding one of those critters!! seems like the only way to go for nostalgia IMO.. the duke, even though a cool sounding name, seems like a lost cause for a peppy hot rod. even the aesthetics aren't that appealing to the eye. Now that robin's egg blue tempest 4 has some swagger! I say we call it the "cast Iron Clint" as in Mr. Eastwood!! what"dya think lol!  
Widetrack,Superduty,Ram-Air.The chief will never die!

Prev |  1 |  2