Ad Radar
High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

Value of first Firebird ever made? HELP!

High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Value of first Firebird ever made? HELP!

swfirebird swfirebird
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 11/25/11
07:32 PM

For almost 20 years now, we have owned a 1967 Pontiac Firebird that is the first ever to be built.  And have all documentation proving so.  Approximately 15 years ago, we acquired the second 67' Firebird to ever be built(including documentation).  They are both numbers matching cars, with basically all their parts, but do need full restorations.

I know so much more information is needed, but just looking for any info on value or who to get in touch with about value of these cars.

Any response is appreciated!

Thanks,
Shaun  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5777 | Joined: 02/08
07:35 PM

Welcome to HPP  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3949 | Joined: 06/09
07:58 PM

Welcome to the forum.

When you say the first and second ever built I think the first question all of us would have is how are you sure of this through the documentation. Finding the "1st Firebird ever built" is a valuable find on it's own, but getting ahold of the "2nd one ever built" seems a pretty big stretch.

I'm sure the whole forum would be willing to help you research the vin numbers and determine a ballpark value, but I've got to tell you that is a questionable claim. Could you give us a few more details on the cars and where they came from?  

swfirebird swfirebird
08:32 PM

I know it sounds like a stretch, but it's the truth.  The first one was purchased from a GM executive in the Southeast Michigan area around 1982.  And the owner second one had been in touch with the owner of the first before we even bought the car.  He was located in Arizona and when he eventually decided to sell his car, he contacted us first with the option to buy.  

I will definitely get pictures up of the firewall tags and the 00001 and 00002 VIN numbers.  

The 00001 car is a 326 2 barrel convertible. 2 speed auto. Red w/ red interior. Cruise control. Fold down rear seat.

The 00002 car is a 326 H.O. Hardtop. 4 speed. Silver w/black top and interior. Power locks and windows. Hood tach. Fold down rear seat.

I do remember that on the firewall tags of both cars there is "SHOW"  

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 11/26/11
05:55 AM

The car sold for around $3000 new, and my book, which is a few years old tells me it could be worth as much as $40K or as low as $5K.  The unknowns are how much are cars 1 & 2 worth to a collector and what condition they are in. For a pristine original car a collector might go 5 times book value and ones that are very rare, your cars, it may be 10 to 15 times book value, or much more (some rare cars can go for 7 figure prices).  

If the cars are a pile of rust they could cost 100k or more, each, to do a perfect 100 point restoration on the cars; and you would not want anything less than perfect on these cars. Even if they are in pretty good condition they could cost $20 to $30K to restore back to factory perfect condition. You should know that opinions as to the value or your cars will vary widely, on this site, but the bottom line is: can you find someone, with money, willing to pay for the privilege of having cars 1 & 2.   I think I would hire a couple of professional appraisers to help establish the value if I were in your shoes (and we all wish we were in your shoes).  The big auction houses could also help. Also check out what Firebirds are bringing at auction and Hemming's may help some too.

I, for one, would like to see some photos of the cars that show the condition...BTW welcome to the best site on the Internet.  

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
06:44 AM

I second everything Milt has said. I would love to see the cars, regardless of their condition, simply open a Photobucket account and paste the link to the pics in your post. The 326HO car is of special interest to me because my Dad bought one brand new in red with white interior and automatic trans. He claimed it was the first one delivered in Ontario (Canada), but there is no way of validating that claim. He sold the car to his sister two years later and they lost track of it when she sold it, rumor has it that it went "out west".
Do you have documentation from PHS (Pontiac Historical Services)? They provide this info for under $100 per car, so it is money well spent and should be the first step for anyone with a collectible Pontiac.
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

Brazil Brazil
07:14 AM

Shaun,
Good morning. If you have any trouble with Photobucket you can also download "Imageshack" for free. It has a copy/paste link specifically for forums that sizes the pics automatically.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5144 | Joined: 12/09
07:50 AM

I don't have any info on value nor do I have any idea who to contact about such a thing. But with the info given plus a little search and research, I say you would be real lucky to find someone willing to give fifty thousand for the pair, as is. And yeah pics would help to nail that down. I figure the rarity of the pair doubles the price, at least for ballpark guessing. Personally I would value them more unrestored if they run and drive. If they were perfectly restored, I think they would easily be worth over hundred grand for the pair but you would be upside-down moneywise then. If I owned them as is, I might insure the pair for up to $40K in case of theft.  
idrivejunk

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
User | Posts: 77 | Joined: 11/11
11:15 AM

dont know where to start,... whats the odds?  the 1st AND 2nd?  was it the same salesman?  hope youll understand my questionable responce.  i mean,...it just sounds too good to be true.  

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
12:43 PM

You have no real reason to doubt the validity of this claim. It is highly unlikely you will win the lottery but people win it all the time.  If I was going to buy one of the cars I would have to be skeptical until I checked it out and certain before I handed over the cash - but when one of our family tells us they have a couple of rare birds then I am inclined to believe them and I am ecstatic for them. I would also really like to see them, touch them, and drive them if they are drivable.

Now if you have proof you are being spoofed then that is another matter entirely...BTW, having Number one and two makes the package even more collectible.  

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1256 | Joined: 11/09
01:18 PM

First  or last who cares ! It's only worth as much as someone willing to pay ! I wouldn't pay anymore than what it's worth as a number matching Firebird !  

Brazil Brazil
01:25 PM

Yes Shaun, As Mr. Milt says, please don't think we are discounting the validity. It's just a bit of a shock to a community of Pontiac freaks that someone out there claims to have the first two Firebirds. If indeed this is the case, then you are in a good place to help steer you in the right direction....anythings possible.
I would think those collectors items would be considerably more valuable than standard numbers matching cars, but seeing is believing.  

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1256 | Joined: 11/09
03:41 PM

Just because your vin ends in 00001 doesn't mean you have the first firebird ever built there were 3 plants making them and each plant started with 00001 .You might have the first one from one of the plants ? What's the whole vin number ?  

swfirebird swfirebird
04:31 PM

You're right there were 3 plants for FIRST GEN Firebirds, but Lordstown, OH was the only plant that made 1967 birds... The first year.  I will be getting car and VIN pictures up Monday, as I'm out of town for the holiday.  

swfirebird swfirebird
Posted: 11/28/11
02:56 PM

Well, I didn't have time to get pics around today, but I did get the entire VIN and body tag info of both cars.  Build dates for both are 2nd week of December 1966.

#223677U100001

12B
ST 67-22667  LOR  SHOW1 BODY
TR 258-A      R2     PAINT
 L2MSR 4F

and

#223377U100002

12B
ST 67-22637   LOR  SHOW4 BODY
TR 259-B      P2    PAINT
 XL2XGS 4F  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last