High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Door Panels for 1972 Grand Prix

Daniel1972 Daniel1972
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/16/12
08:02 PM

I am in need of replacement door panels for my 1972 Grand Prix.  I have not been able to find anyone to recover them.  Anyone have any ideas.  I need white but will consider anything that I can dye to match. dmwilburn@live.com  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5138 | Joined: 12/09
08:40 PM

I have a 72 GP parts car, will get some pics of what I've got. Probably tomorrow evening. The design of the padded area makes them tough to work with, I guess. I think they were vacuum-formed like the dash. Anything else you need while I'm taking pics?  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
08:59 PM

Hey I found some pics I took earlier on. This is whats on/in the car. Interested? You may have to use the scroll bar below the pics, to drag them over so you can see the whole pic. I left them large to show details.

IMG 3969

IMG 3937

IMG 3982  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 10/19/12
12:42 PM

Icon QuoteDaniel1972:
I am in need of replacement door panels for my 1972 Grand Prix.  I have not been able to find anyone to recover them.  Anyone have any ideas.  I need white but will consider anything that I can dye to match. dmwilburn@live.com

NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS  
idrivejunk

Daniel1972 Daniel1972
Posted: 10/22/12
08:25 PM

They are the wrong color but they actually don't look that bad.  These panel were made out of low grade plastic and cardboard.  Are they in good enough shape to ship and rebuild.  Can you e-mail me at dmwilburn57@live.com  

Daniel1972 Daniel1972
08:34 PM

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you.  I have been working crazy hours.  Other than the door panels, I could use the automatic choke spring, linkage and stove cover.  For the most part my car is in pretty good shape but it seems like I am always looking for something for it.  I guess the old cruse control will be next.
dmwilburn57@live.com  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
08:51 PM

Icon QuoteDaniel1972:
They are the wrong color but they actually don't look that bad.  These panel were made out of low grade plastic and cardboard.  Are they in good enough shape to ship and rebuild.  Can you e-mail me at dmwilburn57@live.com

I haven't had them off the car to see the backside, but the car has always had all the glass in it so chances are they have not been rained on and could be rebuilt.

Shipping will be high no matter where you are, but I can package them adequately for the ride.

I tried to email you but that address didn't work for me, it bounced back.  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
08:53 PM

Icon QuoteDaniel1972:
Sorry for taking so long to get back with you.  I have been working crazy hours.  Other than the door panels, I could use the automatic choke spring, linkage and stove cover.  For the most part my car is in pretty good shape but it seems like I am always looking for something for it.  I guess the old cruse control will be next.
dmwilburn57@live.com

I'm keeping the carb and intake for myself. I bought this car for parts to put on my '69 but '72 door panels are different.  
idrivejunk

Daniel1972 Daniel1972
Posted: 10/23/12
08:53 PM

dmwilburn57@live.com should work.  A TV box from walmart would probably work to ship them although it would be big.  Put both of them in the box back to back and they should ride okay.  I am not sure what the shipping cost would be but I will try to get an estimate tomorrow.  If you can't get the e-mail to work, you can call me at 901 487 4059. Let me know what you are asking for them and I can determine what the total cost should be.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 10/24/12
05:38 PM

OK. I'll try again on the email for bigger pics. Please be patient, I'll take them off and get a box going (have box but need to re-size it around the panels because space costs as bad as weight, in shipping). I'm thinking around a hundred for the pair plus shipping, depends on how they look from the backside. I will get back to you probably this weekend, OK?

By the way- look at the 72 GP door panel restoration "Just Dashes" did, at the address below. Wow-

http://justdashes.blogspot.com/2012/10/1972-pontiac-grand-prix-door-panel.html  
idrivejunk

Daniel1972 Daniel1972
06:04 PM

It they are in good enough shape I an considering sending them to Just Dashes.  I did not want to take the panels off my car for that long.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
06:12 PM

Yeah my dash pad needs to be sent there too. They sure do nice work. I will try to get them off and have a good look Friday afternoon then call or email.

Matt  
idrivejunk

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 391 | Joined: 04/12
07:50 PM

just curious..

i wonder if shops that do vacuum forming might be able to recover it...  like just dashes out in van nuys ca..

one trick i learned...

keep a spray can or two of thompsons water seal around... you can spray it on the back side of cardboard and fiberboard door panels to prevent water damage..

my dad use to sell a lot of that stuff.. he always kept some craft paper towels he had prepped half with..  does that stuff work... just run this paper towel under the faucet..

i have wanted to find a roll of the blue plastic film that contractors use to protect windows when apply stucco... to make new door inner liners...  preventing moisture and rain from getting to the back side of the door panel..  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 10/25/12
04:45 AM

Yes Wayne, they can and they did. We were just talking about that, they have a nice pair shown at the link in my previous post. Weather liners are very important, I usually end up making them out of whatever is waterproof and handy.  
idrivejunk

Daniel1972 Daniel1972
Posted: 10/25/12
07:08 PM

If for some reason you can't get to my e-mail, send me your address and I will send you one.  I want to send the folks at Just Dash some pictures.  If they think the panels are in good enough shape, I may get you to send them directly to Just Dash.

dmwilburn57@live.com  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last