New guy from PA

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

New guy from PA

GMW-68Bird GMW-68Bird
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/21/13
06:37 PM

Hey guys I just joined the forum. My name is Greg and I'm from Doylestown PA. I've had several nice Pontiacs.
The first car I ever owned was the 67 GTO I purchased in high school in 1986. It had a 400, 4 speed, and a 3:90 rear. Like a dope I used to street race it and ran it hard...but I hardly lost.
I sold the 67 to buy a 70 GTO convertible which was a 400, 4 speed, 3:55 rear car. I sold that in 1989 when I enlisted in the Marines. After 6 years in the Marines I came home and actually got into Chevy's for a while. I had a really nice 67 Chevelle with a worked 350, 4 speed, and a 3:73 rear but my heart was always with Pontiacs.
I sold the Chevelle and scored a really nice 71 Lemans Sport convertible. It was originally a 350 T-350 car but I hate automatics so I converted it to a 455, 4 speed, 3:23 rear car. I loved it and drove the snot out of it but ended up selling it when my wife became pregnant with our first. Just before the birth of our 2nd child, I scored a really nice 70 Lemans Sport which was a 400, 4 speed, 3:55 rear car and I had a blast in it but sold it to help purchase a bigger house due to my growing family.
Now I have my family, my home, and it was time to find a new classic car. I've always LOVED the 68 Ram Air II Firebirds but know that they are out of my reach so I scored a beautiful 68 Firebird 6 cyl Sprint car. The 6 cyl didn't last long. I just spent the last 2 years converting the car to a nice 68 400 with #16 heads, an 068 cam, a M-20 4 speed, and a 3:55 rear.
I love the car and I'm looking forward to talking Pontiacs with the forum.

Here's my Bird....

68Firebird027

68Firebird026

68Firebird024  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5000 | Joined: 12/09
06:55 PM

That looks very nice. What a time machine! Welcome to HPP, you're in the right place. Matt from AR here.
Can you say what paint formula that is? What broke on the OHC6?  
idrivejunk

GMW-68Bird GMW-68Bird
07:07 PM

It's Verdoro Green. The way it sits is exactly the way it came from the factory. With Verdoro Green paint and a white vinyl top.

Nothing broke the OHC6, when I got the car it had been in a body shop for years getting new 1/4's and floors installed. Since the motor was already out, I decided to replace it with a 400, 4 speed combo. The OHC6 is sitting on a stand in my shed. I also re-did the whole suspension. The car has a brand new power disc brake conversion with new front coils and rear leafs. I installed a 1-1/4" sway bar and all polyurethane bushings.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Enthusiast | Posts: 349 | Joined: 09/11
07:16 PM

That is a very pretty Firebird. Thats a real nice color combination. I always like the way a car sits. Ot it's stance. Your's has both...lol... A nice stance and the way it sits. I'll bet its fun to drive also. The wheels actually look like the older Mag wheels as we called them in the '60's. I had a 1964.5 Mustang K-Code that had mag wheels on it. The real purpose of them was not only for it's looks, but because they were very light in weight. Good Luck with your ride and your family and Semper-Fi. Ooh-Rah...

Bob

PS   I remember travelling through Clarion in western PA. Years ago, and they used cinders (coal dust) instead of sand during the winter. My company car was a Carmine Metallic, after driving 300 miles of Route 80 it was black .The factory was using (Matt help)was it (clear chip guard) along the bottom so it didn't chip the paint.
Thanks
Bob  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5000 | Joined: 12/09
07:33 PM

Cool, I was just curious about the 6. My first car was a '66 Tempest Sprint6 and the sound is unforgettable. Not a bad thing to have in the shed, anyhow. Theres a guy on the Car Craft forum fiddling slowly with a bargain basement chevy crank and turbo buildup on one. I figured it was Verdoro Green, just wondered if you knew which brand of mix is on there because a guy on the chevyhiperf' forum was kicking around stock green colors for his '68 Camaro. Just wanted to make sure which I was looking at. I'm a bodyman and I dig yours for the genuine retro vibe. Noticed the discs, was it by chance a CCP kit? Do your bushings squeak at all? I put Energy Supension poly bushings on my '69 GP in 2000 and they have been noisy the whole time. Granted, yours is leaf sprung so mine has more bushings but I think I'll do rubber next time. I reckon they have greasable polys now, though. I learned that if you leak power steering fluid on those poly bushings, they split in half pretty soon after! Just makin Pontiac talk, man. I wish I could go for a ride in all the member's cars.

Yep, Bob that spray on rock guard stuff works the same on new or old cars. We use it a lot!  
idrivejunk

GMW-68Bird GMW-68Bird
08:07 PM

I would have to look back at my receipts to find out the brand of mix. I don't know off the top of my head.

Yes my bushings squeak and it drives me crazy but I'm not about to tear into my front end. They do make greasable polys now but mine aren't and it sucks. It's better in the warmer weather but I still wish I had gone a different route.

The rims are 15" American Racing Torque Thrusts. I do have the original 14" rims but they look too small in the wheel wells. I prefer the 15" rims with 245/60's in the rear. It gives it a better stance and fills out the wheel wells nicely.  

Opontee Opontee
Guru | Posts: 1422 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 02/13/13
10:55 AM

I wish my 68 was that clean. My sister-in-laws step uncle (try not to get confused) used to have either a 67 or 68 OHC Sprint with a 3 spd. Sat in his garage for years. Saw him one day and asked about it, he had sold it a couple of years before. His was blue if I remember right. Oh yea, I cussed him out big time because I wanted that car. I would have put a 5 or 6 spd in it and left the OHC6.  
OponteeOpontee
Anna Mae quit. Opontee

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
02:49 PM

I always loved that green - welcome to the form.

Milt  

My71 My71
Guru | Posts: 1232 | Joined: 02/10
02:55 PM

Welcome to the forum Greg! Great lookin bird!!
Semper Fi......  
Jim,

66beaumont 66beaumont
User | Posts: 138 | Joined: 03/12
06:10 PM

Welcome Greg.Beautiful bird,really diggin' the wheels.I had a 67 sprint back around 1980,white with black bench interior,3spd manual on the floor and factory hood tach and rally  wheels  
alley find 69goat #'s match 400ys,th400,3:55,249000 miles / 66 beaumont,454,tko500,3:73 auburn ls

merittone merittone
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 02/13
11:36 PM

hello gmw68bird

Superb car, your body and paint guys are clearly masters. love the color combo. i'd be afraid to park it and get it scratched. Any under hood photos?

There is a topic on the first or second page of the site titled "HIGH SCHOOL CARS". In case you haven't seen it, it's fun to read. It's open for all to post there and your story and photos would be a great addition that i'm sure many other viewers would enjoy.

Most of the people that posted above appeared to enjoy posting their own car photos and stories so I thought you might like to know about it too!  

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 982 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 02/15/13
11:17 PM

sweet! i'm a big fan of green. i also had a 67 white with gold interior, bench seat, auto on the colum. welcome to the forum.

i'm working on restoring a 68 now, poor car needed a lot of work! had a guy call last night looking for a hood latch for his 68.  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3304 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 02/16/13
05:57 AM

Nice ride and welcome to the forum!
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3892 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 02/16/13
09:31 AM

Yes, welcome to the forum Greg - really beautiful bird and fun history!
Braz