1972 Grand Prix restoration opinions

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

1972 Grand Prix restoration opinions

nschurer nschurer
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/22/13
02:45 PM

Just finished an exterior restoration of my 72 model J. Motor has already been rebuilt. Car used to be brown with a white vinyl top. I decided to scrap that look and went with a midnight blue and no more vinyl top. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

Photo20 Zpsb6352f1b

Photo19 Zps6eb6e470

Photo17 Zpse7b77db3

Photo18 Zps1bd09ea0

Photo15 Zps90bddccc  

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
03:46 PM

I'm gonna give you two thumbs up! That is one sharp looking GP, welcome to the forum!
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
07:57 PM

Wow, beautiful GP!  Laugh  I like it. Can we see inside? Peek under the hood maybe?  
idrivejunk

70bird 70bird
Guru | Posts: 1064 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 05/23/13
03:14 AM

Hello nschurer

Beautiful color beautiful car. Great upgrade over brown!  

shawn1969gto shawn1969gto
User | Posts: 171 | Joined: 04/13
07:53 AM

I like the headlight. Cool looking ride. How do you post pictures ? Lol  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3954 | Joined: 06/09
08:07 AM

Primo man - welcome to the forum!

That's like my first car in High school, except mine was black with red pinstripes. It was a J but didn't have the hood tach.

Really great color choice - love that midnight blue and the Rallys!

That metal wheel cap always rattled on mine, but everyone could hear me coming.  

nschurer nschurer
10:10 AM

For sure. Ill get the car out tonight and take some more pics.  

nschurer nschurer
04:54 PM

Added 35% tint on all windows. Black interior is brand new, but its hard to tell from the pic. Changed the steering wheel. Converted to a 3.08 posi. The entire cabin was sound proofed with dynamat. Did a kick ass sound system with a custom radio. Fresh weather striping. The engine compartment looks real dirty from the pics but its just the way the sun is hitting it. I plan on changing that air filer to a K&N 3in xtreme flow one. The current one is killing my hp. All lights (tailights, parking lights, interior) LEDs. Headlights have LED halos and halogen bulbs.

Photo21 Zpsf0cf0567

Photo25 Zpsa931e206

Photo24 Zpscca2bf41

Photo22 Zps6360956f

Photo27 Zpsd1327e8a

Photo28 Zps92070c69  

nschurer nschurer
05:01 PM

Photo29 Zpsb144adf2  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
05:16 PM

That thing looks like candy to me, great color choice. What formula is it? I had a '75 GP that I painted a similar shade. Yours reminds me of it. I have a '72 GP parts car but it looks like you won't need anything. You can tell by my sig that I'm a GP nut, I have a purple '69 for cruisin and a black 99 for commuting. Not often that such a fresh looking GP pops up here, so I'm real glad to see it. Grand Prix has always been a car that makes the driver feel good. Hope you enjoy yours for many years to come. Holler if you need anything, and be sure to record any good burnouts you might do!

The Firebird steering wheel ... interesting. Never thought of doing that. Theres another member here who has a WS6 box and sway bar on his '69 and it turns like a Firebird!

The kick panel speaker pods- I thought the same thing. I added woofer box and amp but haven't made it to front speakers yet. Cool to see your solution, its always fun to compare GP notes.

I could look at it all day but a five minute ride would be a whole lot better! Thanks for sharing.  
idrivejunk

nschurer nschurer
06:09 PM

Glad to see you love it! The color is BMW Orient blue metallic. This gp handles amazing. Its got an upgraded suspension and heavy duty sway bars. Ill add a pic of the 2 6x9 speakers and woofer on the back deck behind the seat. Oh and I do need the plastic piece that goes behind the back license plate. Mine is cracked and starting to rot. Let me know if your has that.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
06:51 PM

Nice, yours appears to have a reddish cast in direct sun. Looks real slick, too. I have a Chevy lovin buddy who is always amazed at how such a big car can have such cat-like moves. GPs actually rock. Mine needs a rear sway bar like a hog needs slop, front is stock on that. All polyurethane control arm bushings on it though. One day I'll upgrade but for now its creaky but rides good and corners respectably. Do show the rest of your jam system.

My 72 was near a fire in the rear and the bumper assembly is gone, bummer. But- My 69 wears a fiberglass reproduction license filler panel from Ames Performance Engineering. Don't know if those are still available or even if a 72 is same. You could glass over yours or mold from it, if not. My 72 does look to have a usable gas tank and I heard that those are not being reproduced. The 69 tank is easy to find though.  
idrivejunk

nschurer nschurer
09:23 PM

The sub is a high output 10 incher. It was a custom job done by a company near me. It also has a back camera which comes in pretty handy  Grin

Photo30 Zps5652a794  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3954 | Joined: 06/09
09:55 PM

Wish I would have had a back seat camara.

My '75 had a "radial tuned suspension" plaque stuck on the dash. Me, my dad, and the Pontiac salesman went to try it out. I drove. It was a funny site because the salesman was sitting on the console between us. Not for long though because he wanted to demonstrate what a radial tuned suspension was. There was a series of orange cones that I was supposed to swerve around. This was no problem because of my skill with lessor home built dragsters.

The salesman ended up in the backseat and my dad thought the whole thing was funny because he did the same thing to people in small airplanes. A sudden 90° up will make any salesman cooperate, but messy on the seat.