High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

a fun one

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5138 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 07/13/13
01:28 PM

Just had a fun ride, found a '69 Camaro SS396 to play with while I was out. Saw it come up in the rearview all safety yellow with black stripes and I was hoping it had a right-footed driver. Yep, it did. Crap that was fun, we went at it for a few miles- stoplights, curves, and highway. He had me in a steady pull from like 3,000-4,000 RPM in second but his engine coughed whenever he stomped it and that didn't sound fun. The 69GP's HEI-ed 455 and EPS carb always act right, so I was glad of that. I done us proud. Like most, all he wanted to know was "What year?"

Its just really fun to get out in a hardtop when the weather is right, I wish the big three would find a way to bring them back.

Cool  Have a nice cruise today, hope you get a dollar gas flashback like I just did!  
idrivejunk

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
Posted: 07/13/13
05:12 PM

Glad you enjoyed your GP Matt, I wasn't nearly so happy with the Firebird yesterday. I took it on an hour long trip into Ottawa (our capital) to see the guy that wanted to trade for a 63 Biscayne. The trip in went fine, ran like a top, the new a/c worked fine, temp guage never wavered over 195F all the way. Stopped for gas just inside the city limits ($1.38/L for 91 octane, $50 only got me 3/4 of a tank!). Shortly after the gas stop and only a couple of hundred yards from the shop where I was to meet the guy, I got stuck sitting through 3 red lights because traffic was typical Friday afternoon busy and no advance green for the left turn lane. That's when it all started going bad! 230+F on the mechanical guage and it starts vapor locking and stalling right in the intersection with a 1-ton Ford bearing down on us! Got it fired and left about fifty miles worth of Goodyear rubber thru the intersection and then had to continue on past the shop for about 3 miles and back to get it cooled off. Took him for a drive, put both cars on the hoist to check 'em out. Nice shape for a 63! I think we might be able work a deal. Headed home and stopped at a cruise night to have a look around. Back on the road for home and the speedometer started grinding and squeeling, the needle jumping all around. Had to listen to that all the way home. Not impressed with the bird at all. First thing I did was order a new aluminum rad when I got home. Had the same issue with the old motor and the only common part is the rad, which is a Spectre 3-core. No wonder I want to be rid of this car!
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

shawn1969gto shawn1969gto
User | Posts: 171 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 07/14/13
04:56 PM

Love hearing about the GP. He must had been shocked the bigger car chewing up the chevy. Good story. I chewed up a subaru a few weeks ago . I could of got out and had a cup of coffeeby the time he caught up.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
06:15 PM

Aw now Steve, thats always been part of the Pontiac adventure, overheating! Mine would probably do same. I believe that ambient heat from heavy standstill traffic plays a part. Therefore I avoid ANY kind of traffic when I cruise, I REALLY want my 455 block to stay square. I have even made a game of how far can I drive with nobody coming up behind me. Having an actual destination makes that tough so I normally have "no particular place to go" when I reach for the rumbly one.

Shawn, what I liked most about that deal was how the Pontiac ran great and the Chevy sputtered with every mash of the gas. Anyone on the sidewalk would have heard the difference. I'm pretty sure I was out-gunned if we were at a drag strip but I kept his right foot busy enough that his carb issue or whatever must have been frustrating. We were mostly just having fun making lots of noise and showing off and of course the Pontiac looked and sounded better!

You're right about the shock value, for import tuner folks. No way did that huge car just move like that! I have a heavy woofer box right over the axle and while it might slow me down, it provides this hellacious launch. Well, by my standards hellacious, thats pretty mild.  
idrivejunk

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3945 | Joined: 06/09
07:26 PM

I do the same thing about trying to avoid traffic when I'm in my '78 Trans Am. There is a spot under a freeway that I have to stop at every day when I'm taking Cil to work and picking her up - there's no other way to get there. It's a left turn place just like Steve's perdiciment. The lights are timed so badly, and the intersection designed so badly that only a few cars can get through the light because cars crossing the intersection get stuck in front of me.

The last time I took the '78, I set through 4 lights and there went the temp. The worst part was that there was an HPD squad car behind me and I kept having to hold the RPM up to keep it running. The car is already as loud as a 747, so I already had my insurance and drivers license ready, and hoping he wouldn't notice the 3 day expired inspection sticker.

I had to let off the gas when I finally had an opening to keep from fishtailing in front of the cop. Steve, it did the same damn thing as yours, stalled out right in front of him. I threw it in neutral and fired it back up, it cooperated pretty well and the cop flew past me. I think he was way too tired of waiting at that light to mess with me.

One of those late 90's Vortek Z-28's was being a jerk on the freeway once and cutting in front of everybody. I got on a long clear stretch and saw him coming fast. Right as he got by me I hit it because my exit was coming up, and I needed to be in the right lane. The guy was giving it everything he had but Frankenstein was farting on him. You wouldn't believe the idiot pulled his Camaro down into 1st gear going 90 miles per hour.

The last thing I saw in my mirror was a smoking hood and traffic slowing down.  

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1015 | Joined: 07/11
07:49 PM

i'll say you have a pretty good launch had me playing catch up ! and i had a tool box, spare tire, 100 lbs of brake down fix it stuff along with 3/4 tank of gas!

man how i miss them days of street racing!!

steve sounds like you need to take a break from the firebird for a while. maybe work on a ford or 2 then you will be happy to wrench on the bird.  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD

barneyformula barneyformula
Addict | Posts: 3306 | Joined: 01/07
08:50 PM

Rowsley, the only vehicle I have that doesn't give me trouble is the Ford! Hope you guys had a great weekend.
Steve  
A little help... 'cause we don't all have to learn the hard way!

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 07/15/13
04:56 AM

I've about got my Ford deal whooped at work, time to go at that again. I'm in no rush, I think the Datsun is next-again. Either that or another Ford. Back to the grindstone and the daily driver. Glad I don't flip hamburgers for a living instead!  
idrivejunk

Brazil Brazil
10:04 AM

Ron,

As much as I love's me Firebirdies, and I'm no traitor, I have to go along with Barn on the Ford thing. At least the older ones.

I've had Grand Prix's and Trans Am's all my drivable life, and have got pretty good at fixing them. We picked up our little old '66 Mustang in 2009. Anything that goes wrong with it seems to be so obvious - it's like it's telling me and pointing at it. I usually have any boo boo fixed in half an hour. Plus if I run out of gas I can push it to the gas station with one hand. It's a very agreeable little car - must have had a happy childhood!

Cool  

03:00 PM

Mustang.. really.  Ok wrong site. They were considered pony cars in 66 because they were so slow lol . BTW my other oldie is a 1971 Triple black lincoln mark III  with a 460 ci motor can with 365hp and 500lbs of torque. 2nd favorite by far lol  

Brazil Brazil
07:23 PM

Shawn,

If you look back over the history and many threads and posts on this HPP forum, you will be surprised to find mention of many other makes of cars. In fact, somone just mentioned a 71 Lincoln Mark III.

Most of us have an appreciation of a variety of makes and models.

Yes, this forum focuses on early high performance Pontiacs, and when questions and discussion come up, our whole gang is on it. They are our first love. Most of us contribute to other sites as well, including the Mustang sites.

Idrivejunk, who started this thread, is currently restoring a vintage Mustang along with GTO's and a variety of other classic cars. He works at a shop that specializes in bringing old cars and trucks up to showroom specs and beyond. In fact we all cross referance other manufacturers constantly with the blessing of the moderators - especially when we are just talking off topic as friends just for fun. Anyone who has been a member of the forum for any length of time understands the concept of "classic cars" and respects that we sometimes talk about our personal experiences with our cars, and have for several years now, including the moderators who oversee other forums as well.

And as a side note, my lightweight tweaked out little '66 289 Mustang will equal any Trans Am I ever had in a quarter, and I've had nine, and three Grand Prix's. (two 400's and a 455). To call my Pony "slow" is kinda laughable, you would have to meet her - sorry.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
08:30 PM

I actually researched Mark VIIIs when I was looking at Rivieras. The old ones are cool, wasn't that a III in "The Car" (1977)? Of course I liked the little red car in "The Duel" also. Heck I shouldn't pick on Chevys either, I think I've had more of them than Pontiacs over the years. But when theres a Camaro in the mirror what-cha gonna do?

I did move the Mach1 around today, mainly just to scare yard bunnies and get a sniff of open headers and stick cam. That guy added almost a whole turn of the driveshaft to his rearend ratio so you know that is going to be a fun one!  Wink  
idrivejunk

Brazil Brazil
Posted: 07/16/13
05:06 AM

Mornin' Matt.

Love those big ole Riverias, Cil's parents had one when she was little. There's a guy in my neighborhood with a really nice lucian blue one. It's got so many coats of clear on it that it looks like an ocean. That long rear window always looked cool.

Speaking of "The Duel," that's one of my fav Dennis Weaver movies. It's amazing how much intensity can build up with just a man in a car and a big truck following him!  

02:57 PM

One of my favorite comparisons of a Mustang and GTO is in the book: The Big little GTO book. The book reports of Car and Driver  magazine. "In pure visceral automotive terms, I remember only that the first Mustang I drove caused me to cut my finger on an exposed sheet metal edge in the trunk,  while my first ride in a GTO left me feeling like I lost my virginity, going into combat, and tasting my first draft beer all in about 7 seconds. I remember the GTO slammed out of the hole like it was fired from a catapult,  that the tach  needle slung itself across the dial like a windshield wiper, that the nose from the 3-2 throat carburetors on the heavy old 389 cubic inch Pontiac v-8 sounds like some awful doomsday Hoover God sucking up sinners. Controversially I seem to only recall that the Mustang was red or maybe orange ... it's hard to say"  Quarter mile time for the 1966 mustang 16.5 seconds. Not exactly fast... actully I'll stick with my first stament "slow" anyone know a stock 66 gto times? What work is done under the hood?  I'm almost finished wiith my 469ci build. But the current 400 runs quite well. Look at me stirring the pot.  Wink really just having fun. But not a realistic comparison. As if  I were to compare a GTO to a 66 mustang. Muscle car vs..?  Just a car. We better race the Lincoln and the Mustang first..haha  

Brazil Brazil
03:38 PM

No argument here Shawn.

I've spent many years behind the wheel of Pontiac monsters. The adreneline rush of sitting at a light shaking the whole block with a 455HO and a four speed ready to launch is why this forum exists. And when the front end pops off the ground and sends you back into the seat it's the same feeling of the Beechcrafts I spent a great part of my life lifting off the ground and flying above it all.

Neverless, my wife's '66 Mustang does a solid low 13 sec. quarter - hardly slow.
Cool  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last