Break in and oil

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Break in and oil

Inactive72 Inactive72
User | Posts: 173 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 07/24/13
08:58 PM

The guy that rebuilt my 350 said I cant run "over the counter oil" has to be straight racing oil. Because I have roller tip rockers. Is this just a sales trick to buy their $15.00 a quart "Joe Gibbs" racing oil?

Also said break in ... Wants it to fire straight up, run at 2000 rpm for 30 mins and pop throttle every 30-40 seconds.

Said he used "chrome" rings  
72 lux. Lemans/custom 350 & 51 chieftain 8

70bird 70bird
Guru | Posts: 1064 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 07/24/13
11:03 PM

Hello

Do you have a flat tappet cam or roller cam?

"The guy that rebuilt my 350 said I cant run "over the counter oil" has to be straight racing oil. Because I have roller tip rockers."

I would ask him again, you might have misunderstood what he was saying. If in fact that is what he said I personally would find another builder.

xxxxx

Joe Gibbs BR oil is an xlnt product and I prefer to use it over others however I have broken a zillion engines on VR1 20/50 and straight 30 with little to no additional ZDDP additive as it already has a good amount in it.  

Your engine is a huge investment so to me spending a few extra bucks for the Joe Gibbs is cheap insurance and additional peace of mind.

I know your cam is a mid size flat tappet but not knowing what your valve spring pressure is I'd just stick to the Joe Gibbs stuff.

If you plan to switch to synthetic I would not do it for 500 miles. Some would do it sooner, some later. It doesn't hurt anything to wait IMO.  

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5770 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 07/25/13
05:36 AM

I have used Valvoline VR-1 straight 30 for break in for years and never a problem.

I hope for your sake he didn't use chrome rings and used moly rings instead.

Chrome rings will not seat well if at all.

You need oil with higher levels of ZDDP not because you have roller tip rockers, But because you have a flat tappet camshaft.

I have a thread posted on camshaft break in, I will post the link for you.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5770 | Joined: 02/08
05:43 AM

http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/9055510/drivetrain-upgrade/camshaft-break-in/

http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/9335992/drivetrain-restoration/piston-ring-coatings-and-uses/  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

mb68bird mb68bird
Enthusiast | Posts: 468 | Joined: 06/10
08:24 AM

I would question that engine builder on everything and anything.
Highly doubt they are crome rings, im sure just a regular moly face ring.