Ad Radar
High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

Need help puddle of water on the passenger side carpet?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need help puddle of water on the passenger side carpet?

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
New User | Posts: 36 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/26/13
05:48 AM

Confused i have a 66 bonneville 2 door hard top and after it rains theres a puddle of water on the passenger side carpet, i cant find where its comming from, i dont see a leak anywhere around the window, i though it would be from the heater box? water going behind it? car hasnt ran for a couple months, putting new motor in, any ideas it needs fixed. thanks  

indymanjoe indymanjoe
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 07/26/13
09:52 PM

any body rot on the firewall?you sure it isnt anti-freeze?  

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 07/27/13
06:45 AM

The bottom corner of the windshield leaks on a lot of Pontiacs.  Also where the hood, fender, and cowl meet there is a drain and over time if plugs up and rusts in that area allowing water into the cabin. Door Seals are another place to check for leaks especially on the older cars.  Water can actually go up around seals so look high and low.

One way to try and find the leak is use a flashlight from inside and see if you can spot the droplets. It is best if the lights from outside the car are low you can create your own rain with a garden hose. Corn Starch on door seals and metal surfaces also help to spot the leak.

If this has been going on a long time check for rust under the carpet.

Milt  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
Posted: 07/29/13
06:03 AM

i found one place that was leaking it was the antenna wire there was a hole the size of a dime inside the fender where the wire went through in to the car, i pluged that one with a rubber plug, theres still one more leak though... i think it might be what you said the bottom corner of the windshield, i can see the other leak alittle bit when i get under the dash but i cant see exactly where, ill try looking again. thank you

im sure its not antifreeze my car hasnt been running for a couple months cause im putting a new motor in, and before that the heater core blew, i have it blocked off, im getting ready to replace the heater core ill make sure it has a good seal around it so it wont leak.  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3965 | Joined: 06/09
08:07 AM

Pontiac 66,

I don't know if your car has hood vents under the windshield, but they are notorious for letting water flow in directly from the rain or washing. My '66 Mustang has a special plexi-glass cover for the vents because it will rust out the bottom of the dash and the floor pans quickly.

You might also check inside the hood up in the corners by the windshield. Like Milt suggested, just take a water hose and force a leak just to locate it.

This weekend I fixed a radiator leak with JB Weld - it's really effective on smaller leak spots. Let us know what you find.  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
08:44 AM

i was thinking about that to, theres a vent that goes across where the windshield wipers are at, all the water goes in there that might be where its leaking to, ill have to take it off an look, i will take a look and let you guys know what i find  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
Posted: 08/09/13
05:58 AM

i found where the leak is coming from, under neath the dash up in the corner, corner of the dash and the window its rusted alittle bit letting the water through  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
05:58 AM

i found where the leak is coming from, under neath the dash up in the corner, corner of the dash and the window its rusted alittle bit letting the water through  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3965 | Joined: 06/09
10:54 AM

Glad you found the source!

That's pretty common on the cars around that year. There's not alot you can do after you patch it, cause the water will still get in and eat at it. The plastic cover I mentioned over the vent grill might help if you can find one for your car. I'd google it.

Good luck!