66 Grand Prix Resto

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

66 Grand Prix Resto

DiogenesofSinope DiogenesofSinope
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/29/13
02:31 PM

I'm starting a restoration project on a 66 Grand Prix.  The car is in pretty rough shape so this will pretty much be a frame up resto...

I'm looking around for reputable parts sources.  Does anyone have places to avoid, or good places with quality parts / service to frequent?

Thanks in advance!  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5172 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 07/29/13
07:23 PM

Welcome. Not a whole bunch of places have parts for fullsize Pontiacs, and not many of the members here drive them but I think they are beautiful. My experience with Ames Performance was fine. OPGI has a catalog out but I haven't used them. Frank's is a Pontiac-heavy salvage resource. I have not used them but they sometimes can be a source for things that are not reproduced.

http://www.opgi.com/grand-prix/

http://www.amesperf.com/html/download.html

http://www.frankspontiacparts.com/usedparts1/fullsizepontiacparts.htm  
idrivejunk

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 07/31/13
05:50 PM

Welcome to the site - have you done a full restoration before and are you doing all the work yourself? Tell us a little more about your experience and plans for the car.  

DiogenesofSinope DiogenesofSinope
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 08/01/13
09:56 AM

I've tinkered quite a bit, but never have done a complete restoration before, but I'm looking forward to getting some grease on my hands!

The car is a family heirloom, so I'm trying to restore it as close to original as possible.  I'm planning to stretch the process over a some time so hopefully that will stretch the budget out as well...  

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
Posted: 08/01/13
01:51 PM

If you don't mind some unsolicited advice I have a couple of suggestions before you begin.  Restoration projects take on a life of their own and they grow in complexity and work over time.

The first thing I suggest is to take lots and lots of photos of everything you can.  Make a note book and write down everything: when you removed the part and its bolts, where you removed the part from, and where you have stored the part (i.e Right Front Brake Assembly, Shelf 1, box 12, photos rBrake 1 through 6).  Label box/bag, everything, and log it in your book with notes on about the photos you took.

Second, full restorations can easily take decades and rather than take it down to the frame right away do easily completable projects first. For example, get the motor perfect, then the rest of the drive train, or fix a dented fender, etc. More projects are abandoned than completed and mostly because the project got out of control, parts were lost, and you forgot how to reassemble the things you took off 10 years ago.

I would also recommend that you read the sticky notes - especially those about restoration, fabricating parts, and projects in general.

Now that I have said the above I want to wish you the very best in your restoration project. Don't forget to keep us in the loop and that we are good free help.  Welcome to the Pontiac family.

Milt