High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order
Locked Thread Sticky Thread

gear drives.

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5779 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 12/11/13
08:27 AM

Gear drives can be a nice addition to a high performance engine.

They ensure that the cam position you select will stay right where you put it.

No "stretch" will occur like you have a with a timing chain. ( no matter who manufactured it.)

The drop on gear drives like the Pete Jackson are simple to install too.

If you need to move the cam you will need an offset wood-ruff key.

There is however, one thing I want newbies to understand. I'm talking to those guys that want that "noisy" or "blower sounding"

gear drives. In order to make noise, you must have friction. If you haven't learned this yet,

YOU WANT LESS FRICTION IN YOUR ENGINE!!!!!

So,

if you want the most you can get from your engine, DON'T add friction.

Think how you can lessen friction.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8

4zpeed 4zpeed
Enthusiast | Posts: 369 | Joined: 04/13
06:50 PM

Hey Pman,
Glad you posted this, its always nice to encounter fresh ideas, not that this would be fresh to most but it certainly is to me. Guess you can consider me one of the noobs as I don't have a lot of experience engine building,... er a..., make that any experience engine building. Don't get me wrong, I've seen my share of timing chains but never encountered a gear drive. Although it doesn't totally look foreign it does appear odd.

Seems this configuration would add a lot of mass as well as friction to the drive train, and beyond the obvious advantage of no slack or stretch in a chain I fail to see where this would be advantageous as surely over time one would expect to see wear and play in the gears.

Also I did see them listed as noisier and quieter and don't really understand the infatuation with the blower sound. Anything emulating something noisy usually equates to friction and wear in my mind unless we are talking intake or exhaust noise. On the other hand tires screaming for mercy of course is an admirable sort of friction, wear and noise I can relate to.

I was wondering if you might elaborate a bit further on them or if someone has or is using one maybe they could offer more information as to the advantages and disadvantages of using one.

Thanks,
Wink  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2567 | Joined: 12/09
07:45 PM

The small idler gears between crank and cam, are hobbed and the number of teeth are subsequently too few, to properly mesh with the larger cam/crank counterparts.
The main thing I hated was they were so loud that I felt like all eyes were on me, even sitting at a traffic light, and I didn't really like that constant attention from cops. At idle they don't sound like a blower at idle, they sound like a blower at full boost.
The noise will sound like a tranny pump heading South.,. and any other potential problem noises will also be masked out.
The big boys use them because some run 1000 pound spring pressure to close valves.,. this load could crack a roller in the chain.
Plus they are pure track rigs with open headers and also the engines are torn down at regular intervals.
ALL their engines set up static and once they fire, it's gung ho all the way.
For the street, a quality double roller gear/chain set-up works best.
I find gear sets way too annoying.,. I thought it would be so great, but they are mind numbing after a while. And you cant tell what else is going on with your engine because they are so loud.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

4zpeed 4zpeed
Enthusiast | Posts: 369 | Joined: 04/13
09:02 PM

Hey Tuff!

Just as I suspected, those are big boy toys, thanks for the enlightening insight on that. Although they certainly have their place, it wouldn't be under my hood. I like the ability to hear potential issues before they grow out of hand. Taking into consideration what you've shared with me a double roller setup will easily suffice for my needs.

It is some what amusing to read of your experience and exploits with the obnoxious nature of these things, after all when I seen them listed as noisier and quieter it leaves just plain quiet out of the description and normal out of the equation. I'm with you, I don't need the sound of a F 4 Phantom seeping out from under the hood. I can imagine trying to play it off at a red light with the cops in the next lane, perhaps whistling would help?

Wink  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

Pontiacman8 Pontiacman8
Moderator | Posts: 5779 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 12/12/13
06:53 AM

Some say they also cause added and unwanted vibrations or harmonics in the valve train as well.

I agree with that.  
Engine builder,self taught auto body guy.
Horsepower sells engines and torque wins races

Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8
Pontiacman8