Repair or replace sub frame?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Repair or replace sub frame?

flaminchiten flaminchiten
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 12/11/13
09:37 PM

The sub frame on my 67 firebird restoration project has some holes and rust in it. Would I be better off getting it fixed or just replacing it? If replacement which is the best one? I see some replacement ones that claim factory look with some extra bracing for better structure support for strength.

Any thoughts are welcome, thank you.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 161 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 12/11/13
10:29 PM

all depends on how thick your wallet is..

you would not believe it.. second generation sub frames came out first.. looked around and there were no first generation subframes available.. i called up to chris alstons shop.. ask why not first generation subframes.. they said. not enough call for them.. i said something in reply like if you build it they will sell..

the connection to the rear subchassis was my idea also.. slips inside the rear frame rails and bolts up into the spring perch pocket..

got pictures??? of the rusted out area... is it in a .. well i was going to say.. non structural area.. but.. where would that be on that subframe..

one thing.. before you buy a USED on from a classified...

program into your cell phone the VIN CHECK site.. so you can punch the vin numbers that are on all subframes so you can make sure its not from a stolen car..

use photobucket.. to upload photos and paste links here..  the images will show up.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 4987 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/12/13
11:20 AM

Just about anything metal can be fixed. If the subframe has no other damage, I certainly would not be opposed to a welded repair or two. But without seeing the rusted areas I can't make a suggestion on what would be the wise choice. I do suggest thoroughly checking the rest of the subframe for cracks and for proper dimensions. Pay special attention to suspension mounting points when doing so, and its likely that the thorough inspection will help you decide whether replacement is needed. Also keep in mind your intended usage, for example a patched frame may not be a good idea for serious drag or track racing.  
idrivejunk