Ad Radar
High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

Cold weather storage and rodent deterrents?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Cold weather storage and rodent deterrents?

gtony gtony
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 12/07/13
06:47 PM

Hello!
 What do you cold weather guys do for winter storage? I start my cars up once or twice a week and if there is no snow, I'll take them round the block.  I read somewhere I shouldn't do that but it has worked for me.
I am in a constant battle with mice and red squirrels too. Any tricks besides traps, mothballs, dryer sheets?
Should have an update on my 400 engine rebuild soon!
Tony  
58 years old painter, body man. Blues guitar.

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 483 | Joined: 11/13
06:51 PM

hi i see you are new, welcome.

"I am in a constant battle with mice and red squirrels too. Any tricks besides traps, mothballs, dryer sheets?"

rats = cat

squirrels = paintball gun or tater cannon.

NO WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED  

65pmdgto1 65pmdgto1
Enthusiast | Posts: 506 | Joined: 12/07
07:54 PM

Hey Blues Man maybe if you played for them critters they would leave the neighborhood........HA HA welcome to the club. Believe it or not I bought those plug in high pitch noise makers years ago and they did the trick. No more mice nothing. I was in Costco a few weeks ago and they have something similar. They have a pack of 4 that are like a night light just plugs straight into the outlet. They were less than $20, might be worth a try... A pro exterminator told me the biggest thing is to eliminate the food source and they will move on...The 400 I bought was stored indoors and the exhaust manifolds were packed full of goat heads. The darn mice feed on them come winter. This guy rented indoor storage to other Pontiac guys but after seeing that I wouldn't store a car at his place.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
08:05 PM

if it stays parked...  1/4" or 3/8" hardware cloth.. to surround the car.. keep them from getting under it..  this works better if it lays tight against your car cover..

Portbin

a friend and i talked about this a long time ago..

from korean stores they sell little boxes with squeeze tubes with hot mustard concentrate..  that stuff wiped on big willies rottweiler houses and the vehicles stopped them from chewing them up ..  

gtony gtony
Posted: 12/08/13
07:28 AM

I think I need the pied piper! It's funny there's no food source, I think they are there to nest. I had one section all insulated with the pink fiberglass and within a year it was all ripped down! I'll try the noise makers. Thanks.  

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
09:00 AM

Hey gtony:  Welcome to the forum!

Although this is not funny it does present a few opportunities for a little bit of humor, doesn't it?

Rodents cans cause thousands of dollars of damage, seemingly overnight and I feel your pain.  One or some, of the critters even ate a hole in our 96 Bonneville's plastic intake.  Another managed to jump 7 inches to the exhaust pipe and built a nest in there - Might Mouse got a spring awaking when I started the 400 CI motor but I had to cut a hole in the muffler to get out all the mouse scat.

I don't know if you are storing inside or out or if you have an aversion to sending them to the happy hunting ground but I put down copious quantities of Decon (some on the engine too) and add a few mouse traps around  as insurance.  That will control all but the ardent of mice and I add nylon net bags filled with mothball to discourage cats and other critters.

Giant rodents, aka squirrels, are another matter.  Wood frame barriers are just something for them to play with and gnaw on. I have even seen them pull up stapled down hardware cloth off things to get in. The only really effective way I've been able to keep them out is to shoot them (and maybe risk damage to the car).  The other way is with an electric fence.  Poison will work some of the time but it is indiscriminate.

I had a 48 Chevy Pickup once that they liked (forgive me but I was young then – btw it was outside). So I drove it onto some 60" wide hardware cloth so only about a foot was left under the truck and I bent the remainder up along the side of the truck.  Then I tied a few ears of corn on the sides to attract them.  Finally I hooked and high line International Electric Fencer to the hardware cloth.  Those fencers are powerful enough to sit a Bull on its butt and it really discourages any rodent, 2 or 4 legged, from molesting the truck or trying for the corn more than two or three times – they are persistent though.

Now, about driving your car a short distances - it is not good for it. If you are going to drive it you need to drive it long enough to get it, and keep it hot, for no less than 45 minutes to an hour to prevent condensation in the crankcase and exhaust.  You may be interested in this Post

http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/9588528/the-general-discussion/storing-your-ride/

Keep as posted on the battle against Rory Rodent

Milt  

65pmdgto1 65pmdgto1
Enthusiast | Posts: 506 | Joined: 12/07
09:33 AM

Yep if these little guys are that big of a problem I would try everything I could think of. It may be worth our money to have a pro come by and look it over. You know there is more to every job or profession than meets the eye. And there may be something unique to your location that needs something not obvious to us or you. Those outdoor traps you see around food processing plants and grain storage elevators work really good maybe you need some of those around the property to widdle down the population of these nuisance critters.
My niece and her family moved out in the country with horses and the normal hobby farm animals. The first day or two they noticed strange stuff going on and the chickens weren't laying. They called a pro out and in an hour he killed 21 rats and set out some traps. He didn't want to leave anything that would hurt any of the animals or kids. That was a year ago and there has been no problem since. Now they have so many eggs they give them away to friends and family.
I would do about what it takes to get rid of these pests. They can cause some real health problems for you and your family.
Good Luck  

gtony gtony
09:50 AM

I live out in the country all right. Deer, gray and red squirrels, wild turkeys, raccoons, skunks, you name it! No rats though!
I built a four car garage but it is unheated. Concrete floor 22' X 44". More like a carport really. I have a heavy duty tarp to enclose the front. Someday I would like to insulate it and add garage doors.
I had mice get into the bellhousing of my 78 vett through the rubber clutch fork seal. Made a nest and pissed and pooped all over the clutch fork. I went to start it one day and no pedal. The piss rusted one side of the clutch fork clip and it broke off!
Thanks for the suggestions, I will use them all!!
Tony  

george1776 george1776
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 12/13
01:06 PM

I don't know what would help with the squirrels but I use Irish spring soap bars. I read somewhere that if you have fresh bars in your car the mice stay out. I now do this and no mice. Just remember to put the soap bars on a paper plate or something because they will stain the carpet. And they have to be changed out when the get to dried out. The added benefit is you car does not smell old and musty. I get the 12 pack from sams club and put 2 per car.
Hope this helps.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
02:55 PM

All you're missing is one link in the food chain. Cover up the cars and let a cat use them as it's observation post. Their scent might be the lesser evil because they don't chew and nest, just kill and crash out. Has to be a mean hungry one though, can't be no Garfield type!  
idrivejunk

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1016 | Joined: 07/11
09:29 PM

try tennis balls soaked in vinegar for the squirrels. not shur if it will work in the cold. maybe set them under the car! i think any thing with a strong oder weather it be soap ,moth balls or vinegar will drive them away.

come to think of it i have not had a mouse problem sence i got my neighbor a brendel coon hound witch we share. the dog will chase anything that will run! i seen her out in a freshly brush hoged field the other day catching mice!  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD