Need Help Identifying and Completing 400

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need Help Identifying and Completing 400

nos3stg nos3stg
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/21/13
03:43 PM

I just recently bought a 1968 Pontiac Firebird Convertable. The car originally came with a 2 barrel 350 and TH350. I would like to stick with what was availibe for that year so I just purchased a rebuilt 400. Here is what I know about the motor so far. It was just refreshed by a machine shop. They replaced the timing chain, gears and cam bearings from what I was told. I took off the valley cover and took pictures of the cam and lifters. They look brand new to me and the cam has some numbers on it (see below)

Casting #500557
Engine Code- WY
Block Year- 1975
Heads- 6X with 8 stamp D208 GM2 and 939 stamped on the front
Cam- Unknown has 710 and under that a 9 (see photo)

So here's what questions I have.

1.Can someone help me identify the cam/type with the pictures I took. If so what Carborator would you recommend?

2.The motor came with an Elderbrock Proformer intake marked Pontiac. Someone cut the front off by the goose neck and installed the goose neck backwards. Why would they ruin an intake like that? Does the intake look like it's even the right one for this motor? Can I still use it or should I just buy a new one?

3.If you can identify the cam what automatic transmission would your recommend and what size/stall converter.

4.What kind of headers and size should I use with these 6x heads?

5.Will an HEI Distributor have enough clearance without messing with the firewall?

I'm looking I get around 350 HP out of this engine.

EDIT: Pics added.,. tuffnuff Smile

400 3
400 2
400 10
400 12
400 11