Ad Radar
High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

fuel sending unit still not working. help.

High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

fuel sending unit still not working. help.

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
New User | Posts: 36 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 01/15/14
06:18 AM

couple weeks ago i stopped to get gas, it was almost full an 3 days later the gauge was still on the same line, im driving a 66 bonneville not a prius lol so i thought the float stuck, so i ordered a new sending unit and i put it in yesterday, i put in a new gas gauge to, i turned the car on and the gauge still wasnt reading anything? i made sure the wire for sending unit was hooked up, it was grounded, the gauge was wired right, i ran a wire from the battery to the back of the gauge just to make sure the gauge worked an it did, so i dont know what could have gone wrong from putting gas in my tank to now it still not working with new parts?! any ideas? help.

Confused  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 466 | Joined: 11/13
06:58 AM

Sounds like a job for wayne.

try grounding the body of the sender to a good ground.

is the sender a chinese one?

is the gauge chinese?

where did you get it?

how full is the tank?

how nany ohms does the sender read?  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
07:49 AM

i scraped off a spot next to the tank for the ground an screwed it to the frame,

i bought the sending unit from summit racing, the gauge i have the factory gauge, and a after market one i bought i tried both an got nothing,

the tank should be alittle more than 1/4 tank

ohms i have no idea? how would i find that out? sorry its my first time doing this lol  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
07:54 AM

it takes a volt meter with an ohm setting.

if your sender has 2 wires, 1 for ground and 1 for the sender, ground the sender with a jumper, get in the car and turn the key on. it should quickly go to full. turn the key off before it reaches full.

you can also have someone in the car turn the key on and off for you while you ground it.  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
07:56 AM

it takes a volt meter with an ohm setting.

if your sender has 2 wires, 1 for ground and 1 for the sender, ground the sender with a jumper, get in the car and turn the key on. it should quickly go to full. turn the key off before it reaches full.

you can also have someone in the car turn the key on and off for you while you ground it.

it may stay on full with the key off. if it does it is designed to do this. it should go back down when yoy reconnect it and turn the key on. it msy not need the key to operate. they have two types of systems.  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
10:05 AM

i found the gauge i bought the brand is dorman, says the ohms is
240 Ohm Empty/33 Ohm Full,  says the type is analog

yes the sender does have 2 wires, one ground an one going to the sender,  

i will try that when i get home today, thank you  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
Posted: 01/20/14
06:46 AM

put a new fuel sending unit in, grounded it, i bought a new gauge, made new connections, grounded the gauge, i ran a new sending wire from the sending unit to the back of the gauge, turned the key an still nothing,

i unplugged the sending wire from the sending unit, took a test light grounded it an stuck it in to the sending wire connector an the gauge went full, all my other gauges an gauge lights work, its a new sending unit, cant figure it out an its starting to be a pain in the butt dropping the tank everytime to get to the wire lol  

shyrgfuh70 shyrgfuh70
User | Posts: 93 | Joined: 12/13
07:35 AM

you can

remove the sender

connect the ohm meter.

move the sender arm from 0 to full.

write down the readings, if it does not move it is bad, if it does move, your gauge is not matched to your sender.

if your gauge is from opg it is likely correct.

there might be a tiny hole in the back to adjust the ohms, you might get it to match the sender.

did you save the old parts?

I HATE electrical.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
10:39 AM

with sending unit UNPLUGGED .. the gauge should go one direction..

ground the wire thats unplugged from the sending unit and the gauge should go the other direction...

this tests the gauge and the wiring.. not the sender..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

testing the sender...  set digital meter to 200 OHM scale or 2K ohm scale..

SW - SW gauges - 240-33 Ohms
   VDO - VDO gauges - 10-180 Ohms
   GME - GM up to 1964 - 0-30 Ohms
   GML - GM 1965 and up - 0-90 Ohms
   ORG - Early Ford & Mopar - 73-10 Ohms

The first number of the (Ohms) represents empty and the following is for full.

if you have installed a sending unit for the stewart warner gauge.. it won't work the factory pontiac gauge very well at all..

you will need to not just test from the connector terminal on the sending unit to the flange on the sending unit. but also to the tank.. and also to the body...
there is almost always some kind of ground connection on the tank.

so... at the tank.. since you tested it with a test light.. the gauge and wiring are probably OK.. its the sending unit.. or the connection between the sending unit and the tank.. or between the tank and the body...

what.. yep.. electrons flow from negative to positive..

the car body is charged with negative electrons.. if you have the battery cables hooked up properly..  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
12:28 PM

i will try that, i couldnt find the right sending unit that fit for my car,they gave me a sending unit for a 67 impala.. diffrent car but fit better the one for my 66 bonneville,  that one says the ohms are 0-90,  i have 2 gauges one is sunpro an the other is dorman, both say ohms are 240/33, is that my problem? i need a gauge for 0-90 ohms?  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
03:09 PM

Spectra Premium/Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Part Number: FG88B
Notes: Fuel sender, strainer and float (Pump not included); 3/8" outlet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spectra Premium/Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Part Number: FG88A
Notes: Fuel sender, strainer and float (Pump not included); 5/16" outlet

many stores sell spectra premium... AZ is one and tanks to pans is another.  

shyrgfuh70 shyrgfuh70
08:43 PM

i will try that, i couldnt find the right sending unit that fit for my car,they gave me a sending unit for a 67 impala.. diffrent car but fit better the one for my 66 bonneville,  that one says the ohms are 0-90,  i have 2 gauges one is sunpro an the other is dorman, both say ohms are 240/33, is that my problem? i need a gauge for 0-90 ohms?"  

Yes, this at least one of the probs if not the only one. I explained this in my previous post.  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
Posted: 01/21/14
07:17 AM

i tried that one already it was way smaller than the one that came out of my tank an my fuel line doesnt go straight up it goes towards the front of the car,  

66Pontiac1 66Pontiac1
07:18 AM

i bought a gauge yesterday that is 0-90 ohms the same as what the sending unit is  

shyrgfuh70 shyrgfuh70
07:50 AM

here's the correct sending unit. they also sell the gauge.

http://www.opgi.com/bonneville/GBC2304/  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last