High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

1969 Firebird trunk dropdowns

Casper77 Casper77
User | Posts: 61 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/15/14
10:08 AM

Anyone know where to get a decent set of lower trunk dropdowns and outer patch panels? For the outers all I can find is for a Camaro and they don't have the bird for the marker light.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5138 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 01/15/14
09:41 PM

I don't. But I say the manufacturers probably don't offer them with the cutout because it fairly easy to re-create. You could probably work around that, or splice halfway down the hole to make it easier. I don't know who makes the most accurate drop-offs but rest assured none of them will be magnificent reproductions. I am used to fabricating patches for that panel, theres a long way I'd rather go than to chop out the whole piece.  
idrivejunk

Casper77 Casper77
Posted: 01/16/14
11:09 AM

I'm with you on only cutting what's necessary but I have very limited shop equipment and the parts are cheap. I'm not a body man either. I ordered the dropdown from summit but they keep sending me the wrong side and the part is total garbage. Fed up with them.  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2567 | Joined: 12/09
05:35 PM

Below is a link with lots of pics of a Camaro dropdown repair that might be of help.

http://www.apiem.com/camaro/RearValanceTrunkDrop062705.asp

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

idrivejunk idrivejunk
06:44 PM

Tuff, those look like good pics, I didn't have anything F-body to show him. Squeakin by on an iphone at the moment but ...

Casper if you would like to see some typical drop off replacements or mostly patching, I have recent examples from a Mach1, a 280ZX, and an el Camino that I can show you. I'll need to upload what you want to see, if so. I have a rust repair thread here, kind of ongoing. I agree most replacement parts leave much to be desired. But if you can snag a half decent part then handle the welder, the rest is just finesse with cutting and grinding. You can do it! Got a welder?  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
06:54 PM

Oh and I bet Summit will take care of you, all my experience has been good but I never bought body parts from them. Be patient, they have lots of customers. What you have might be all they can get, so unless its damaged its probably a WYSIWYG situation. Theres always a way to simplify. Why don't you show me what you're dealing with and maybe we can help with advice.  
idrivejunk

Casper77 Casper77
11:11 PM

Yea I've got a mig & torches. This is what I'm dealing with.

100 2325 Zps837f051d

Here's the passenger side.

100 2322 Zpsee04d6f7

Not as bad but still bad.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 01/17/14
06:20 AM

Hey that don't look too bad! I mean- it does look bad but your car is fairly "not bad". Consider yourself lucky that it isn't rotten all around the wheel opening. Looks like that left drain plug clogged and I bet there was a sloshy sound for years until it rusted thru and could drain. The right side is cake, if thats the only spot. Heck that side might even not need the replacement panel.

Sometimes the drops rot bad while the quarters dont. Sometimes its the other way around. But if the drops look like I imagine, yeah you'll probably need a new piece for the left. Whether you buy or make is up to you.

The left qtr behind the wheel- I would cut horizontally about where the center line of the bumper sits, just below that emblem. One way I find out how far the rust goes before I start grinding is to work it over with an ice pick. Just go ver the surrounding areas pushing on the metal with the point, to see how far out the thin spots go. I think you'll end up way below that body line. My repair methods use butt welding on all skin seams like that.

Later today I'll see about digging up examples of damage and solution that are similar to this scenario. So I can post pics either here or on the rust thread. Maybe they would make you more confident in your ability to work with the bunk parts that are to be expected. Just some cutoff wheels, hammers, and pliers are needed for making the crap fit.  
idrivejunk

4zpeed 4zpeed
Enthusiast | Posts: 367 | Joined: 04/13
09:34 AM

If that's the worst of your corrosion issues you get no pity here lol, I can't tell the extent of the rot but from what I can see the lip around the wheel opening looks solid and for me that's a huge plus. You can more than likely fabricate or just use a section of the replacement panel you purchase for the left side.

I realize the aftermarket panel is piss poor and probably doesn't look as if all the edges would match and that's why as IDJ was saying just use a section, the least you can get by with to make the repair. You can do it man.

Grin  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

idrivejunk idrivejunk
07:06 PM

Here are some examples of how-to, Casper. 69 pics in a slideshow, no words. Not Pontiacs but I'll try to post the same thing from the el camino job elsewhere later, but pretty much all cars are made the same in this area. Inner and outer wheelhouses, trunk floor and drop-off, rear end panels and last but not least the quarter skin all come together and rot one another just the same. Notice how even the partial factory-stamped stuff I used was WAY off. I tried to keep this group of pics to just trunk drop area. Theres even a pic of all the tools you need, just click on the link below.

idrivejunk fixes rust behind the wheels  
idrivejunk

Casper77 Casper77
08:52 PM

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
Here are some examples of how-to, Casper. 69 pics in a slideshow, no words. Not Pontiacs but I'll try to post the same thing from the el camino job elsewhere later, but pretty much all cars are made the same in this area. Inner and outer wheelhouses, trunk floor and drop-off, rear end panels and last but not least the quarter skin all come together and rot one another just the same. Notice how even the partial factory-stamped stuff I used was WAY off. I tried to keep this group of pics to just trunk drop area. Theres even a pic of all the tools you need, just click on the link below.

idrivejunk fixes rust behind the wheels

Thanks man, nice work. My first trick on the 69 was just to get it driveable, that was quite a bit of work in itself. I figure with it running I can nip at it a little at a time and still enjoy cruising it when I need my fix. I've seen to many guys (including myself) rip a car apart and end up dumping it for loss of interest or just being to overwhelmed. It can add up quick.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 01/18/14
08:32 AM

Amen to that. It kills me to have a car that don't run, and I can't understand the tear-it-down-and-leave-it mentality at all. You keep on doing like you are and don't start before you're ready, on bodywork. I just wanted to show you a few different ways to do surgery like that, it can be tough to decide where to cut.  
idrivejunk

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/19/14
01:03 AM

since many panels other than the outer skin are shared between firebirds, camaros, actually novas, omegas, venturas, apollos depending on the year...

i thought i would hang this firewall here...

http://www.camaroperformers.com/camaro-tech/paint-and-body/1312-how-to-replace-a-classic-camaro-firewall/

enjoy.

and what a way to convert from a factory AC car to a factory heater only car..

getting rid of the BIG HOLE ...  

Casper77 Casper77
Posted: 02/17/14
08:40 AM

I finally got sick of looking at the rust.

Attachment  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 02/17/14
05:20 PM

Looks like the sickness carried you halfway there, sweet. So you must have got the drop-off to look like you want? I have a bondo crack or two and a bunch of hail dents I'm getting tired of looking at myself. Way to git r did, man. Cool  
idrivejunk

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last