High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

1966 Lemans Cooling - Want to gain lower water and oil temperatures.

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

1966 Lemans Cooling - Want to gain lower water and oil temperatures.

Poncho_74 Poncho_74
User | Posts: 61 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 01/17/14
03:29 AM

There is an other thing I would like to get your opinion...

When I bought the car the old 1975 400cui engine was in, after checking the numbers I found out the car was a 6 sprint, so it has only the 15" cooler and not the 17" one...

I already changed to a big tube 2 core aluminum cooler.

Because everything is out now I think about installing an additional oil cooler but I am not sure what would have the bigger cooling effect, to add an engine oil coiler or to add a transmission oil cooler. If the answer is transmission oil cooler, then in addition to the cooler on the lower radiator or instead of it?

What I want is to cool the temperatures in general, because the radiator was chosen for a sprint six and now it has a 467 cui V8.

I just asked myself what will have more cooling effect to whole system (oil and water) and in my radiator the transmission cooler is crosswise on the bottom of the radiator, so the heat from the transmission oil cooling part goes up and heat the water cooling part additional. the 1969 radiator for instance has the transmission oil cooling part on the side of the radiator from bottom to the top of it, so the up going heat has no additional effect to the water. So my thought was, may be it is better to connect a separate transmission oil cooler, at least in the same size it has now and block the transmission oil cool on the stock radiator...

Or is this all nonsense, and I would gain much more temperature reduction installing an engine oil cooler...

I hope its clear what I mean?

Thank you  

Read more: http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/9606924/the-general-discussion/vacuum-line-routing/#ixzz2qeNbwMuq

Read more: http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/9606924/the-general-discussion/vacuum-line-routing/#ixzz2qeN6dxF6  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 450 | Joined: 11/13
03:54 AM

how hot does it get?

what thermostat is in there?

what is your outdoor temp?

ideally you need a wide high effecirency radiator. trying to cool it any other way is a band aid and not a cure.  

My71 My71
Guru | Posts: 1246 | Joined: 02/10
04:05 AM

Shy has some good questions that would help us give you good recommendations.

Keeping your coolant temp under control will inherently keep your engine oil cooler. Engine oil coolers typically are installed when a motor will see extreme service, such as hauling/towing loads over long distances. Installing an oil cooler for a motor that does not see extreme service may not do any good depending on viscosity of the oil and time of year. If you have the correct radiator/cooling fan/thermostat set up then the addition of a trans cooler wouldn't make that much of a difference in your motor's operating temp.  
Jim,

Poncho_74 Poncho_74
04:16 PM

Hi, and thank you for trying to help. Ok there are the details.

At the moment I am waiting for my new engine...its a 467 stroker, so maybe there will be no problem with overheating anyway, I ordered it with a flowkooler alu water pump and it is not a high-performance build, it will have 9.2 - 9.4 : 1 static compression and close to 8:1 dynamic compression. It will also have the stock fan with new fan clutch, complete fan-shroud, and 180 deg thermostat.

So my experiences with overheating come from the engine which I already took out, disassembled and sold...

This was a 1975 block, with 1969 RAIII heads and o41 Camshaft, so compression was close to 10:1 to much for pump gas anyway, what i didn't knew at this time... It had a stock water pump, but already a full shroud, and the big tube aluminum radiator.

There have been 2 different problems.
First was, coming from highway to the city wasn't a problem till I don't had to stop to often, with every highway or stop and go traffic the temperature grew from 180°F up to 230°F and when I stopped some water came from the overflew hose of the radiator...but oil temperature was always the same around 200°

The other thing was, cruising on the highway, at around 2.800 rpm...water temperature fix at 180°F no matter which outside temperature...when I floored the pedal the water temp didn't move, but the oil temperature raised immediately. The highest temperature I had on the gauge was 350°F! Just for a few minutes but still got scared after recognizing  it.

That are the reasons I thought to install an additional cooler during assembling after the engine is in...and then I thought about, which one, engine- or transmission-cooler, would gain more temperature decrease on the system...

I hope you have all informations now.

May be there will not be any cooling problem with the new engine, but i want to be prepared...  

Poncho_74 Poncho_74
04:33 PM

Hi, and thank you for trying to help. Ok there are the details.

At the moment I am waiting for my new engine...its a 467 stroker, so maybe there will be no problem with overheating anyway, I ordered it with a flowkooler alu water pump and it is not a high-performance build, it will have 9.2 - 9.4 : 1 static compression and close to 8:1 dynamic compression. It will also have the stock fan with new fan clutch, complete fan-shroud, and 180 deg thermostat.

So my experiences with overheating come from the engine which I already took out, disassembled and sold...

This was a 1975 block, with 1969 RAIII heads and o41 Camshaft, so compression was close to 10:1 to much for pump gas anyway, what i didn't knew at this time... It had a stock water pump, but already a full shroud, and the big tube aluminum radiator.

There have been 2 different problems.
First was, coming from highway to the city wasn't a problem till I don't had to stop to often, with every highway or stop and go traffic the temperature grew from 180°F up to 230°F and when I stopped some water came from the overflew hose of the radiator...but oil temperature was always the same around 200°

The other thing was, cruising on the highway, at around 2.800 rpm...water temperature fix at 180°F no matter which outside temperature...when I floored the pedal the water temp didn't move, but the oil temperature raised immediately. The highest temperature I had on the gauge was 350°F! Just for a few minutes but still got scared after recognizing  it.

That are the reasons I thought to install an additional cooler during assembling after the engine is in...and then I thought about, which one, engine- or transmission-cooler, would gain more temperature decrease on the system...

I hope you have all informations now.

May be there will not be any cooling problem with the new engine, but i want to be prepared...  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 450 | Joined: 11/13
07:52 PM

hi

ok thats strange, i would have the cyls on the new engine sonic checked for thickness so you know what you have. its cheap to do.

i would install the wider rad irregardless.

it sounds like your prob used to be insufficient air flow at idle this is typically due to a bad fan clutch or 5 blade fan instead of 6 or 7 or the wrong diameter fan not fitting the shroud or the fan not penetrating the shroud opening.

ok, the prob is, even though your car ran cool at higher speeds, its known that the narrow rad you have is still Too small.

i can assure you that if you use all the same parts, your temp at idle would have been lower with the other engine if your rad was bigger.

What brand is the radiator, ie, NORTHWIND, GRIFFEN, CHAMPION ETC.  

chrisaustria chrisaustria
User | Posts: 187 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/18/14
12:49 AM

I think there are special oil pans that help cooling the TH400, what do you think about that?
Maybe you should wait until the new engine is running in your car and you checked the gauges again to see what happens. The transmission oil should be cooled. I was told our engines in most cases including yours and mine don't need an engine oil cooler. I was about to buy one, but everybody I trust told me it's a waste of money.

I also think you had some timing issues with your old engine. Bad ignition timing can cause overheating as well. You probably won't need to change much with the new engine... I wouldn't worry now..