front end

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

front end

sy82nj sy82nj
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 11/08
Posted: 01/12/14
07:48 PM

is this kit worth buying and everything need to rebuild the front end suspension beside shocks?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Ball-Joint-Tie-Rod-End-Malibu-El-Camino-Monte-Carlo-Cutlass-/370984676968?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1976%7CMake%3APontiac%7CModel%3AGrand+Prix%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A5.7L&hash=item566068ee68&vxp=mtr  
76 grand prix model j 350
77 grand prix model j 301

Poncho462 Poncho462
User | Posts: 103 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 01/13/14
09:51 PM

This kit will tighten up your steering and the ball joints will tighten up the motion of the upright, if you need those things, and most high mileage cars of this age do.  

What it will not do is take care of worn out rubber inner A arm bushings on the frame end, another common problem which is pretty much visible when you look at them.   They can be bought separately in stock type rubber, or urethane for a stiffer ride, or Delrin, which are very stiff, intended for a very dedicated performance car.  

If the inner arm bushings have already been replaced, this kit does look to tighten up everything else if the steering box itself is good.  Hard to say much more without info on how you plan to use the car.

Have you compared the price to a similar Moog kit?  At the very bottom of the page, they indicate their part numbers are the same as the Moog numbers, but they might be off-shore knock offs.  If the price for Moog is close, I think I'd rather go with them.  Should be lots of choices for comparison.  Summit sells Moog parts.  I looked at the Moog Site, and they do NOT display an all "Made in USA" claim anywhere, but they do have a reputation to uphold.  I wouldn't skimp on steering parts, or brakes.

Good luck...If you have slop in the steering now, replacing these parts will cure a lot of it if they're worn, that's for sure.  
"Wherever you go, there you are."..Buckaroo Banzai, 1984