Ad Radar
High Performance Pontiac
Click here to find out more!

04 to 06 gto drive train swap to 1969 GTO?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

04 to 06 gto drive train swap to 1969 GTO?

jbmacneil jbmacneil
Enthusiast | Posts: 542 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 02/01/14
08:48 PM

Hey Guys,
Just a quick question. Have any of you ever tried to do this swap?? Taking a crashed 04 to 06 gto and transplant the drive train to a 69? I just wondered just how hard one of these would be to do, and I was looking at doing one with the 6 speed (Of course) instead of the auto!! I was looking at this down the road of course, but I have seen an entire car complete but crashed of course go for anywhere from $2k to $6K and that would have the computer and all the stuff I would think you would need to do the swap!! Also, for the purists, Im working with a non numbers matching GTO. Thanks, JB  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5144 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 02/01/14
10:47 PM

I have not tried to do this swap, but google or any of these magazine websites have many examples of 64-72 A-body LS swaps should you decide to research further.

You would want the 05-06, 50 more horsepower from an extra half liter. But the total of modifications required for changing from Pontiac power may not offset the gains. Check torque numbers and compare for yourself, I don't think its a terribly cost-effective swap if the object is increased performance.

To me, the next best thing is a big block Chevy. Similar manners to a Poncho. But I am old school, and I think your late GTO swap would require some souping up to launch as effortlessly as a good old 1969-spec GTO 400. Just my opinion!  
idrivejunk

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1256 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 02/02/14
07:21 AM

There's been a lot of Ls1 swaps done .Year 1 has the kits 700 bucks for A body .This swap will cost a lot of money . I've seen a guy do 69 Ls1 Firebird swap .  https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-gto/bg994