High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

painting door hinges

akpd akpd
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 01/30/14
06:42 PM

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of rebuilding my door hinges & have disassembled & media blasted them. After reassembly I'm giving them a coat of epoxy primmer to keep them from rusting until the jambs etc, are painted. The question is will there be a problem with the top coat of paint bonding to the epoxy (hinges only)after sitting for months without scuffing.

Should I put a coat of 2k primmer over the epoxy until top coat?

Than you in advance.  
Restoring 68 Bird (coupe)

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5165 | Joined: 12/09
07:02 PM

Epoxy must be sanded if it has cured.

You could put an extra coat of epoxy on them (maybe 3 instead of two) and plan to sand before paint. That is, scuff. Epoxy sometimes doesn't agree with sandpaper (doesn't feather well) so its best to just scuff with a red pad and apply sealer before color. But if you scuff, it will stick no matter how old. As long as it hasn't sat outside and faded.

If I were you, since the hinges are blasted and you'll have to sand or scuff either way, I would go ahead and put down two coats of your 2K primer after two coats of flash-dried epoxy. The extra fill will make them look nicer and they will be easily sanded once paint day gets close.  
idrivejunk

akpd akpd
08:22 PM

Ya that's what I'm thinking too...epoxy, 2k, topcoat later.

Thanks Smile  

akpd akpd
08:26 PM

You know I've been thinking... I'm going to seal them up in a vac-bag, prime & paint them later.  Wink  

akpd akpd
08:27 PM

You know I've been thinking... I'm going to seal them up in a vac-bag, prime & paint them later.  Wink  

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1016 | Joined: 07/11
09:38 PM

never thought of that. let us know how it works.  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD