Transmission Kickdown switch

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Transmission Kickdown switch

bellyache bellyache
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 02/14/14
08:26 PM

as I was changing firewall pad I noticed the switch had been altered in that there had been a bunch of tape and rubber added to one side of the switch it is bolted on the bracked ok but I am not sure what a 66 should look like with a 2 speed at
I am not sure but could look at it if upside down just not sure why all the stuff taped on there it has 2 orange wires to it which is stock so I think it was messed up so it was altered, any part numbers out there or pics of one
Thanks  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 02/15/14
01:47 PM

GM Chevy Buick Olds Pontiac Corvette Automatic Kickdown Switch GM# 1242101
they used these on corvette C3s

Th400kickdownswitchonpedal Zpse53ba2cd

i should mention.. that the gas pedal does not touch the push bar on the switch until the pedal has opened the carb about half way..

i would imagine that any tape or wrapping might be to insulate for sound.. or to stop the wires from getting bound up in the switch or pedal movements..

got pictures??? use photobucket.. its free. .  

bellyache bellyache
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 08/13
05:15 PM

I will try the photo bucket but the picture looks likes the one I have except of the stuff taped to the pin that the gas peddle hits it acts likes its hanging up as I slide it back and fourth. It seems that from pictures Ive seen that pin should be in middle of the switch and it isn't on mine  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
10:13 PM

it should be free to slide..

if somebody wrapped stuff around the pin.. they either tried to lower the kick down from 3rd to 2nd throttle percentage/angle..

why not unbolt it .. its only a single bolt and a single connector..  take some photos.. or even a video..

there are a few ON ebay..

depending on the amount of power your engine makes..  i know a lot of people including me.. who don't have those hooked up .. i manually shift down.. but thats just the way i am..

i don't even have the kick down disconnected on my ford van with a C6..  its important on most 4 speed overdrive automatics.. and a few 3 speed automatics..

the kick down switch is not moved until the car is around half throttle.. ..

if they added material to it.. they might not have understood why and how it works..