Kickdown switch for TH350

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Kickdown switch for TH350

raguza123 raguza123
Enthusiast | Posts: 540 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 02/16/14
12:58 PM

I was wondering if it was possible to use a electric kickdown for a TH350 or is just for TH400 and Powerglide?  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5168 | Joined: 12/09
01:12 PM

Hi, Ragu. I haven't heard of anything like that, it would get pretty complicated setting something electric up to do it. Stick to the cable, they work beautifully when set right.  
idrivejunk

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
03:17 PM

TH350 stuff..

on some models.. usually early 70s.. there is an electrical connector on the drivers side if i recall.. its used to signal a smog device that the car is in second or third so it will retard the timing.  so thats not a kick down..

on late 70s models TH350. a similar electrical connector is used.. but the transmission is actually a TH350C... C is for a lock up clutch in the torque converter..   ported vacuum operated electrical switch off the carb.... has a switch in the brake pedal also.. won't engage until the pressure switch inside the transmission is building pressure for 3rd gear..

the KICK down on all TH350s is a cable device..  there is nothing from stopping you from creating something like a door lock actuator to pull on the cable with the electrical signal you provide.. even using a fast acting electric door popper..  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5168 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 02/17/14
05:35 PM

I had the same thought, Wayne. But I figured personally I would rather switch to a TH400 if the cable got on my nerves or harshed the look under the hood. Actually, I believe I have seen or had one car (maybe the 72 Cutlass?) that routed the kickdown cable thru the firewall, to the accelerator pedal rather than the throttle linkage. That kept the unsightly cable away from the carb area. Adjustment was done sliding the stop at the gas pedal end of the cable, so the pedal rod was just longer and had two cable holes instead of one. Now a guy might fab up something like that fairly simple, if he had a shorter cable. Maybe I need to look in my Olds manual and see if theres a pic of that setup. Scrounging some stock parts like that would be easier if available. And thats if he has a Chevy-like setup on the TH350 now.  
idrivejunk

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1016 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 02/18/14
09:31 PM

rags bird will have the old motor mount broke hung wide open throtle linkage going to the carb.

matt i always wondered what the other hole in the gas peddle lever was for.  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD

raguza123 raguza123
Enthusiast | Posts: 540 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 02/26/14
12:00 AM

I was curious if there was ever one made, the cable is on a universal bracket, looks like junk there, lol