High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

A litte refreshing

chieftorque chieftorque
User | Posts: 101 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 03/09/14
02:35 PM

So this weekend i got acsess to where my car is stored for the winter.
I got some new items that has arrived.

Some may remeber The home made ramair aircleaner that came with the car, a good idea, but rough looking.

Before
What if i could turn it into something that looks like it originally belonged to the car?

After Front
After Side

I also got some great looking valvecovers from BOP engeneering, and their breather.
my stock covers did not fit anylonger due to the new rockerarms; polylocks hit the top of the cover, i was running 4 layers of cork and rubber gaskets just to clear, obviously this made the car look like it had rabies , frothing from both covers if stepped on the gas hard and long enough.
But ofcourse the brake booster interferd in my plans, so i had to take a hammer to the brand new covers.
Booster

I also got livewires igniton cables, these where supposed to be precut to length for a 73 firebird, wire nr.1 was waaay long, and wire 8 was waaay to short.  
There is no replacement for displacement

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1278 | Joined: 11/09
Posted: 03/09/14
06:46 PM

It looks good ! I would get rid of those blue wire connectors going to the wiper motor they don't work very good at all . Soldering works better .  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5172 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 03/10/14
05:06 PM

Jack, if you fix that wire I'll paint the alternator pulley  Wink

Chief, that does look pretty cool. Darn new plug wires can never all be right! You could probably improve on the looks of that custom air cleaner lid if you just give it some love with some pliers and a hammer. Then some grinding and even a little bondo would go a long way. Maybe if you had a large diameter piece of pipe to support those hole edges while you straighten them ... Anyway, regular open element breather would look good on there, too.

Sucks you had to clearance the new valve cover but you did a clean job of it. My old low rise M/Ts fit over Harland Sharp roller rockers with just the thick Fel-Pro gaskets. But just barely!  
idrivejunk

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1278 | Joined: 11/09
05:22 PM

I do wiring every day and if I used that type of connector on a trailer it would come back to be fixed again in two days .  The plug wires look nice .I used MSD 8.5 red wires  on my GTO . Custom fit they give you a tool and you fit one end .  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
07:38 PM

just curious.. if the distributor is installed with the rotor in the proper position to use the factory pattern for the spark plug wires.. it really does make a difference..

in my 73 tune up guide.. it shows the #1 wire at the right rear position

rear of the engine..

____8____1_____

4_____________2

3_____________7

____6____5____

front of engine

this is the proper way...

Untitled10 Zps54c5d782  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 03/12/14
04:31 PM

in looking at your spark plug wire locations in the cap.. you are going to need to set the damper to TDC with the rotor pointing at about 2 o clock standing infront of the car..  if you slowly rotate the motor the crank in normal direction of rotation.. until the tips of the pickup coil and the tips of the reluctor line up perfectly..  thats where the base timing is..  stop there..

now. you can remove the distributor.. turn the shaft slightly counter clockwise.. reinstall the distributor.. see if the rotor lines up at the 1 o clock position instead of the 2 or 2:30 position.  you will also have to deal with getting the oil pump shaft engaged. by turning it slightly left with a big long screw driver..

since you positioned the crank and have not moved it..  you can turn the housing once its seated.. and align the tips of the reluctor and the pick up coil again.. and then lock it down.. this will put the timing back within a degree or two of where you had it..

if the rotor is now pointing toward the 1 o clock position.. you can reset the wire locations and it will all fit..

look at your picture..

After Side

compare it to this diagram..

Untitled10 Zps54c5d782  

chieftorque chieftorque
Posted: 03/14/14
05:21 PM

Thank you Wayne, i think i need to do that because the vacuum canister is pointing towards the firewall, and the 12V and tach therminal tab is almost hiting the throttle linkage bracket on the manifold.
Also with the car warmed up, initial timing shows 50 degrees! and thats almost impossible even at idle. i am pretty certain my balancer has slipped, i bougth a new one powerbond SFI, i think i need to install it first and check timing again, before i attempt to pull and reseat the distributor.
I think i will have some time tomorrow to head over to where the car is stored, hope to get it on jackstands so i can start pulling the harmonic balancer, but i need a new jack. Got a sissor style jack for a rock bottom price, turns out the jack handle got bendt out of shape even before the car got of the ground, guess i get what i pay for Smile  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 03/15/14
05:41 AM

or one of the light weight ones..

Image 11503

this is from sat march 15 2014.

1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®
Item #68053

Only: $119.99
Sale: $89.99

Maximum Lift Height (in.) 14-3/4 in.
Minimum height (in.) 3-3/8 in.
Product Weight 26.8 lbs.

i have the single pump piston of this aluminum jack.. have used and abused it for several years..  still going..  will yours last?????

don't forget jack stands..  you don't get under cars with just a hydraulic jack under it..  

chieftorque chieftorque
Posted: 03/15/14
01:10 PM

Next paycheck i will be getting this:
15 818 L
- Capasity: 2,5 tonn
- Dimentions 640 x 342 x 174 mm
- Lift heigth:  85–455 mm  Grund clerance on front crossmember is rigth at 85 mm  Cool
- Weigth: 35 kg
- Lift cup size : 110 mm (already got som 110 mm rubber pads.

With current exchange rate it comes to: 171.06 USD

This paycheck i got a 160 ft-lbs torque wrench, and a balancer install tool with all possible threadsizes
19 1318 L

Today i pulled the battery and put it on trickle charge (no sign of power, not interior ligths even)  tried a 450 AMP (300 amp crankingpower) booster pack.
This booster starts my audi, no problem. But on the firebird it barley managed 1/2 a turn lol.  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 496 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 03/16/14
03:16 PM

your battery ids sulfated and will not take a charge. if you bought it new then take it back fotr credit. if it is the battery that came in it it is junk. many new batteries die after 6 months of non use.

there is a date of mfg, melted into the battery somewhere.  

chieftorque chieftorque
Posted: 03/16/14
03:30 PM

Yep the battery came with the car, have not changed it, its a Deka 70 with front screw in poles.
I tried to charge it, pulled it out of the car and put it on a shelf and hooked it up to a cheap trickle charger, came back today, and the charger was dead, no ligths on whatsoever. checked the fusible link on the plus side and it was not blown.
Going to fork out for a new optima battery or other AGM battery, as there was quite a lot of corrotion on the battery strap down, and battery bottom plate.  

chieftorque chieftorque
Posted: 03/23/14
12:31 PM

Ok, got a new exide maxxima 900 batteri dropped in the car, and with the assistence of a friend we dove into changeing the harmonic balancer that i Tougth
had slipped. turns out it did more than just slip:

Harmonic Balancer
Harmonic Balancer2
Harmonic Balancer3

And a litte handymans thinking (in case you are wondering: thats not me)
my friend has a solution to everything mechanical, even when torqueing (is that the correct spelling?) the harmonic balancer without blocking of the flexplate.

Harmonic Balancer Bracket

and done: a 155 ft-lb torque (my torque wrench only goes to 210 NM) so i am 5 ft-lb off.

New Harmonic Balancer

I was really concerned about the crank keyway, i did fingerprobe the crank, and i could not wiggle the key, it was firm and still had edges. The new SFI powerbond balancer lined up, and had to pressed home.

We fired the car up, hooked up a timingligth and it was rigth at 12 degrees

We also pried out the old timingcover seal, and tapped in a new one from BOP engeneering, you can see the marks of the old seal on the broken harmonic balancer, and there was a ton of gunked up oil on the pulley and surronding area on block and timing tab.

i am now getting real close to having the car ready for spring, just need more shims on the valvecover bolts or cutting 1/2" off all 8 bolts since the bottom out befor torqueing the valevecover gasket, ask me how i know? well lets just say there was quite a smoke show og the manifolds after 5 minutes of running.  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 496 | Joined: 11/13
01:07 PM

hello

lol, yeah somebody abused that, i have never seen a broken damper, glad you found the prob and kept us updated.

buy a battery quick disconnect unit or unhook your battery if not driven for 3 days or more in case you have a drain on the system or if you have a factory clock etc.

never use a quick charge on your new battery.

hey, this might even fix your belt squeek better than that grease you sprayed all over your alternator, lol.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5172 | Joined: 12/09
01:27 PM

I had a balancer do that in 1990, on a 400. Mine grenaded though, and I decided to pull it for an overhaul right then. I had changed the timing chain and like you, my torque wrench did not go to 160 ft-lbs. That is the result of improper torquing or a bolt or woodruff key problem. You got lucky, and you should kiss that car square on the mouth because it was very good to you. At the very least, re-torque that balancer bolt after a few heat cycles. A new bolt, washer, and key would have been my choice if at all possible, along with paying close attention to the threads in the crank snout. Hope you get past all the little things and have an enjoyable driving season with few issues!  
idrivejunk

chieftorque chieftorque
01:40 PM

idrivejunk:

Yeah, i do feel i need to do the car that justice, since it did hold on to that balancer through my peelouts.
But i have never reved it more than 4500 rpm in my ownership.
I need to borrow a larger scale torque wrench, and that as soon as it is driven out of storage (guess it will hold 10 miles with low rpm to the closest shop.)

*** i did order a new key from BOP engeneering along with the balancer, tingcover gaskets and valvecovers, but i can for the life of me not find the key in the shippingbox, i turned it inside out but no key..  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last