NO Brake Lights

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

NO Brake Lights

MiamiPat MiamiPat
New User | Posts: 38 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 03/20/14
05:01 AM

Looking for a little technical advice on my 67 Pontiac Grand Prix.
No tilt column and we do have cornering lights.
I replaced the turn signal switch with a RED Boyne switch  (purchased from Lectric Limited, Inc.).
Now I have no brake lights. (Brake lights worked prior to replacing switch)
Bulbs are good
Good ground
Brake light switch is good
When I put power to the brake light wire the light lights up
Good Continuity
Running lights work
Turn signals work
…..still NO brake lights.

When I called Lectric Limited I explained to them what I did and they said because I didn't have a tilt column that was the wrong switch...and because I installed it, the warrantee is voided.
The Delco/Remy switch is white and it doesn't have the three wires for the cornering lights.

I've had no luck in finding a turn signal switch with cornering lights for a non-tilt column.
(Anyone have a tilt column for sale?)

Any suggestions?  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
10:08 AM

try this..

probe the white wire into the turn signal connector.. thats from the brake light switch.. push the brake pedal.. and that should have power then..

if the turn signal switch is centered.. you will find power when the brake pedal on the wires going to the left and right brake light..    yellow and dark green.

67Pontiacfullsizeturnsignalconnector Zpsb2fb214a

shee mar sells the SM211 or SM229 for ... does not say tilt or non tilt..  and i have not seen my 1973 delco switch catalog in several years. i think it grew legs one day..

was there any trouble installing the switch?? did it fit down properly.. not all distorted??? and just tightened into place with the screws..
it has to fit flat before the screws are tightened..

http://forums.highperformancepontiac.com/70/9201142/interior-restoration/turn-signal-cancel-cam67-grand-prix-w-corner-light/  

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1265 | Joined: 11/09
05:03 PM

When I put power to the brake light wire the light lights up ? Were are you putting the power at ? At the brake light switch ?  Or in the trunk ? The brake light wire is white going to the turn signal switch then it uses the turn signal wiring , yellow left , green right .  Wires002 Zpsc90bb684  

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1016 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 03/21/14
10:05 PM

did they say what the difference was beween the tilt and nontilt switch? i would think it would just have longer wires. if they were different there should be more than one wiring diagram.

i wonder if the white wire is in a different location on the conector or not fully engaged!  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD