Having issues with steering?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Having issues with steering?

raguza123 raguza123
Enthusiast | Posts: 537 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 04/14/14
12:16 PM

I took the bird out this weekend for a drive and I noticed it was wandering in the lane and I could turn the wheel a little bit before it would respond.
I have replaced most components on the steering, tie rod ends( inners and outters), upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings and the shafts.
Did have an alignment done, all the bearings were replaced with new races.
I jacked her up and shook the wheels and they are tight, very slight if any movement at all on both wheels. so bearings and ball joints I assume are good.
I replaced about 20 yrs back the pitman and idler arms and the drag link too.
Never adjusted the steering box? or whatelse could I check?

Hello to all been awhile, I've been working nights and moving at the same time, fun fun fun.  Grin  

My71 My71
Guru | Posts: 1261 | Joined: 02/10
04:02 PM

Hey Rag,
Since you've replaced all that steering hardware, I'd check the power steering tightness.. I had problems with my GTO decades ago (when it was still stock) similar to yours and I had to loosen the lock nut and screw the adjuster down about 2 turns and that fized it. You could also jack the front end just barely off the ground and reach in to turn your steering wheel and look to see when the wheels start moving. One side might be tight and one loose depending on the last turn your took.  
Jim,

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5165 | Joined: 12/09
04:13 PM

Hello back! If the steering box is in need of adjustment, it is heavily worn. But theres the "rag joint" still left unmentioned. Thats the coupling between the steering column and box or shaft. Low buck item that can be a booger to replace. Easy to spot excess play though, if you have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth within the play range while you look at the joint.

Also- for checking those pesky lower ball joints, more leverage is needed. Jack it up under the spring pocket / shock area in the control arm with your big floor jack. Now take the whole handle out of the jack and use it as a lever under the tire (or a board, something a few feet long). Have your assistant lift up and down on the end of that a few good times while you are looking at the lower ball joint. The coil spring holds tension on that ball joint (making things seem OK) unless you put this kind of pressure on it.  
idrivejunk

raguza123 raguza123
Enthusiast | Posts: 537 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 04/20/14
03:04 PM

thanks guys, will try all these out, in my spare time.
just changed shifts again working fridays to tuesdays 9PM to morning, heck at least I'm working, I am hunting for a new job days onlyso I can work on the bird more.