High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

'63 Grand Prix fog lights wiring

Peer81 Peer81
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 04/14
Posted: 04/22/14
01:56 AM

Hello Everybody,

I'm Peter and live in the Netherlands (Europe). I already have a '81 Corvette but recently also bought a '63 Catalina!  Cool
The Catalina has a Grand Prix grill with the mount openings for the fog lights. So I bought the OEM (very cool) fog lights so I can mount them in the grill.
But now my question. Where to I wire the fog lights to? The front high lights or something else? I googled to see if the Grand Prix has a extra button to get the fog light on and off but as far as I see it hasn't. I hope somebody here knows Smile

Greetings Peter  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
10:56 AM

welcome to the forums..
first a hint.. after posting.. if it does not load.. click the active posts link and let it reload several times..  

i can look at my wiring diagrams.. but i don't know about extra switches in an oem fashion..   you could tap into the headlight wiring from the switch to the dimmer to control an ISO relay.. in  a load dropping wiring set up.. and a second dimmer switch hidden under the carpet..  so the fog lights go off with the headlights.. but can be on during either low or high beam operation..

what.. the wire to from the headlight switch to the center terminal of the dimmer switch.. a scotch tap.. as you don't need much current.  to pin 86 on a relay..
pin 85 on the relay to a second dimmer switch center terminal..   one of the outers to ground..  so if the headlights are on.. a tap on the second dimmer switch will complete the ground to the relay coil to turn the relay on.. and power the fog lights..

hint  swapping the wiring around. you might be able to only need a SINGLE wire to a second relay up near the front of the car which would be better.  as that one could be stashed also.. its easier to stash one control wire..  and if that control wire only has NEGATIVE on it.. less chance of a short.

and do you still have the corvette??? have you seen the 2 corvette magazines here?? click my user name for links..

edit..
the wire from the headlight switch to the dimmer is ORANGE on your 63..  

Peer81 Peer81
02:49 PM

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for the active posts idea. I got an error (not loading after posting) so I tried again and again. But thanks for the heads up!
As for the fog lights. I found out they aren't fog lights but big turn lights. As a Catalina also has small turn lights lower in the bumper I don't need an extra pair of them so I'll see what I'm going to do with them.
On my Corvette I changed the headlights to work as you discribe (the OEM switch is the trigger for the relay to power the headlights direct from the battery). I'll figure out what to do with them. Smile

And yes I still have the Corvette. This is the body off topic (and other upgrades on the actioncenter forum) Smile

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/l81-vette-registry-forum/75812-original-l81-engine-pics.html

I'll also look at the 2 corvette magazines Smile

As for the Catalina. I'll keep it much more stock then the Corvette (well that is also what I said about the corvette 10 years ago..  Grin ) She will be getting a body off restauration one day but as the fuel is $$$ here in the Netherlands I'm also thinking about looking for something like a fuel injection with supercharger to mount on the pontaic engine? Just a wild idea of course Smile

Greetings Peter  

wayne712222 wayne712222
04:46 PM

start with an oxygen sensor bung..  a one or 3 wire narrow band oxygen sensor..a cheep sunpro air fuel ratio gauge..  you can upgrade to the much more expensive wide back later..

this will allow you to monitor the air fuel ratio. depending on which carb you have..there might be things to do to it..

i normally say to also hook up a vacuum gauge next to it.. and just install the 2 gauges on an upside down bracket. and some carpet on the flange so its a temporary install.. powered by a lighter power cord..

i put a whole bunch of stuff about idle feed restrictions. and how to set the carbs to get better fuel economy by running the throttle at idle.. just barely exposing the idle transition slot..   if you are after MPG>.  there are a few carbs to think about.. but you want to make sure that you have the ability to change the idle feed restrictions... do you speak weber carbs.. or solex carbs??

idle is controlled by the idle mixture screw.. feeds thru the round idle passage below the closed throttle plate.

idle transition feeds from the slot just barely exposed by the closed idle plate.. farther open exposes more to vacuum and more fuel is pulled in.. this is a hard calibrated circuit.. idle air bleeds.. idle feed restrictions..  but at 800 to 2000 RPMS. the engine runs either a percentage of idle transition flow..

hint.. and it would take double relays..  hook the upper set up  and the lower set up.. so you could switch the relays on or off.. to feed one or the  other.  might take 3 relays.. as you would need to switch the parking lights also.  

Peer81 Peer81
Posted: 04/23/14
02:40 AM

It's a 389 automatic with 2bbl carb (Rochester I think). A friend has a OEM GTO intake laying around and as my 81 vette has a 4bbl Q-jet I think I'm going to change it to a 4BBL with the GTO intake (he also has a HEI ignition for this engine laying around so we will install that also). I had my Q-jet from my vette apart many times so picking an older one from ebay and rebuilding it is not a problem.
Did the 4BBL cars also have the Rochester Q-jet carbs or something else?

MPG isn't a real problem as it isn't a daily driver but I want is to run as good as it gets. For me torque is more important but with $8 to $10 a gallon, driving it 200 miles isn't funny if it's consuming fuel like an alcoholic.

I already have the Fast module with dual wide band sensors so I only need to weld two bugs in the exhaust (one left and one right) to monitor the A/F ratio (good tip to look at it!)

I also see on ebay some had the rally gauges set (I have the ac vent in the middle of the dash with deleted clock) are the water temp and oil pressure gauges also separately for sale? I found a normal oem grand prix gauge set with volt, clock and fuel so if I switch the outer gauges I'll have the same as a rally set. Smile

Greetings Peter  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 04/23/14
11:04 AM

just curious.. it's the 63 vintage 389.. . i have always wondered.. will the later intakes fit?? the 63s came with either a single 2G 2 barrel or 3 of them in the grand prix..

perhaps some of the other forum members will know if the later intakes will bolt onto a 63 389.. i don't know the answer. yes.. there are things i don't know...

any 4 barrels prior to 66 would have been either a rochester 4JET.. not a quadrajet  or a carter WCFB model..

there are several articles spread around the magazines on the rochester 2 bbl and they are decent carbs..  and there are different versions.

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/ctrp_1101_rochester_2g_carburetors/viewall.html

as for the dash change?? that's up to you..

i usually say.. mount the air fuel ratio and a gauge to monitor the manifold vacuum on a 2 gauge bracket that's upside down and a scrap of carpet so it can sit on the dash without scratching.. powered by  a lighter plug.. will allow only one wire from the oxygen sensor as long as there is a good braided ground between the engine and firewall..  and a vacuum hose.. to be needed for the temp gauge install..

this makes it a temporary install.. as its only really needed for tuning ..  once you have the carb jetted..  it really is not needed.. 18mm plugs can be installed in the bungs..

again.. this is just an idea.. its your car.. and there are no rules here or anywhere on these types of mods..