1972 GP Rear Filler Panel - Rusted Out

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

1972 GP Rear Filler Panel - Rusted Out

ConsistantlyRobert ConsistantlyRobert
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/14
Posted: 04/29/14
09:55 AM

I'm trying to sort out the best way to repair the rear filler panel on a 1972 Grand Prix.  This is the panel between the trunk lid and the rear window.  Mine was equipped with a vinyl top that ended up rusting the rear glass channel to the point that it leaks into the trunk and has caused a lot of rust damage. None of the aftermarket sheet metal vendors sell a replacement for the 1972.  I purchased one for a 1970 GP, but it's not the same width.  I was hoping that it could be patched into the stock panel at the rusted areas.  Please advise...  
1972 Grand Prix

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5168 | Joined: 12/09
10:32 AM

Hi. I am qualified to advise on this but I'm on my lunch break right now. Can you post images of the area? I happen to have a 72 GP for parts or reference, its in the back yard. There are two threads here, in the body forum, where I have posted examples. Might give you some ideas. I'd link you but I'm not that good at using this phone for stuff like that. Look in the body repair forums for "learning to fab" and "fixing rust". Lots of pics. I'll swing back through after work and try to assist further if needed.  
idrivejunk

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1278 | Joined: 11/09
03:50 PM

You have to make a patch panel or get the filler off a donor car .There's a lot out there a guy down the street from me just parted a 72 GP out .I think he sent what was left to the junk yard . Look around you'll find one .