High Performance Pontiac
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

73 Firebird re-skin

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5139 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 05/02/14
09:31 PM

Since I finally got my hands on part of this job, I feel like I can post a peek. This is a project going on at my work, a big one. A plain 73 Firebird getting just about all new panels. If any of you 2nd gen Firebird enthusiasts want to see what lies beneath the outer sheetmetal on your car, this is for you ...

Comments and questions are welcome right here.

Rather than downsize the pics for the forum, I have left them fullsize and will direct you there with this link:

click here for Firebird slideshow  
idrivejunk

C_U_L8ER. C_U_L8ER.
User | Posts: 111 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/02/14
10:46 PM

That is awesome!  Reminds me of my car - literally only thing that will be original on it is the roof.  I probably should have started with a better car, but one step at a time I got deeper and deeper into it.  Certainly no going back now.  My phone got destroyed along with all of my pics except one.  I'll try to figure out how to post it later.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 05/03/14
12:12 AM

wow... looks like its coming together nicely..

i can explain why there is rust above the vinyl top lower trim ..

when the vinyl top installers cut off the excess material that hangs out below the trim with a razor blade... and they sometimes just slice right thru the paint and primer.. exposing bare steel right were there is always moisture   from dew and car washes..  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 05/03/14
06:11 AM

Its just held together with a few screws right now. All I'm doing is some bondo. The vinyl top looked to be the original installation.

CU, this was an attempt to "start with a better car"! They paid double what it was worth thinking it would all be as nice as the floors are. Not so, as you can see.

I learned something- the quarter skin at the top goes under the inner roof. So that joint is three layers. Meaning it should not be eliminated with a butt joint like I have wondered about.  
idrivejunk

C_U_L8ER. C_U_L8ER.
Posted: 05/04/14
12:17 AM

I sure wouldn't have expected all that rust under the vinyl especially with the floors in good condition, but I guess you never really know what you've got until you start taking them apart.  Are they going back to vinyl?  With all that work into the roof it would be a shame to cover it up.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 05/06/14
05:46 PM

No vinyl thank goodness! Its going to be a 72 Trans Am clone on the exterior. The plan was to remove the entire floor from tail to firewall but we will probably not do that, and just modify whats there to fit around a full frame as needed.

Yeah those floors sure were misleading, weren't they? You're right about not being able to tell until you start the work. Well, the whole stock front clip with eng / trans (but no nose) will be up for sale which might help partially offset the suprise rust.  
idrivejunk

C_U_L8ER. C_U_L8ER.
Posted: 05/07/14
03:07 AM

A 72 Trans clone will be sweet!  I've always been partial to blue T/As just because they are less common, but I love white as well.  For a full resto, you really need to be prepared to spend money and lots of it.  Not a journey to undertake on a tight budget.  So far, I have a pair "350" hood emblems I'm willing to sell - lol.  Too bad scrap metal doesn't sell at the same price as gold.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 05/07/14
05:05 AM

Not sure but I would guess yes the colors will be blue and white or vise versa. I'd hate to think if scrap were any more valuable, the thieves are already so bad.  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 06/09/14
05:38 PM

The frame came in. Its 55" wide, measured across the middle. The inner rockers of the car are 50" apart, if that gives you some idea about the degree of difficulty on installation. This one crate cost more than a lifetime of cars for me.

IMG 53741 Zps23953c6a

IMG 53751 Zpsc5cfe8fd

IMG 53771 Zps81a855df  
idrivejunk

C_U_L8ER. C_U_L8ER.
Posted: 06/10/14
01:43 PM

Wow!  Sweet!  This is going to be quite a resto.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 06/10/14
05:33 PM

She's gonna be a lot more hot rod than resto  Cool  

I just like leaning over the crate. You get the wood smell and the monster bare metal visual. MMM I got to touch it, too!  
idrivejunk

C_U_L8ER. C_U_L8ER.
Posted: 06/11/14
01:49 PM

Lol!  Opening a crate like that is an awesome experience!!  

4zpeed 4zpeed
Enthusiast | Posts: 367 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 06/11/14
03:36 PM

I'd like to experience that once, dag nab it Mat I was ok till you touched it, now I'm all jealous an stuff. Mad    
Unfortunately the rest of us are unable to cop a feel, hopefully you'll provide us an occasional peep show, er um, slide show.
Agreed, more hotrod than resto, perhaps roderation or rest o rod is a good term, either way it's a Poncho man and very cool.

Grin  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 06/18/14
06:38 PM

OK I finally came down from the carpenter's high.  Grin

This is where we go from re-skin to re-bones. But all that new body sheetmetal is still just on there with screws. I didn't get a shot of the gutted shell (its gory) but hey if anybody nearby needs an OE full length rust free floor, holler. Left pics large because lazy.

The frame actually forms the inner rocker on this setup. It fits inside the rocker skin. The body drops straight down onto it though. Believe it or not, there was much discussion over whether the body should be removable or not. With this chassis, it is not intended to be. I say perfect! It shall be a unibody of sorts. Badass. The frame is shown here ready for epoxy primer, its black and dry by now.

More cutting to go, and lots of fabrication work. But right now Keith just cut a big enough hole under the 'bird for it to drop down over this chassis and roughed in the position. Does not weigh much with no floor and the shell is fairly sturdy. The floor from firewall to trunk came out all in one piece thanks to selective use of a reciprocating saw.

IMG 53941 Zps54056313

IMG 53851 Zpsafd3ed3b

IMG 53861 Zps7ba77fab

IMG 53871 Zps09f63d33

IMG 53881 Zps40356fb7

IMG 53911 Zps092d2e22  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 06/28/14
06:26 PM

Ah- plywood 24"s, yo.

We got a big new bead roller with cool dies so our man has been hard at it roughing in the new flooring, and of course mocking all things up with the suspension and a salvage engine in place. All I know is if I so much as look at the big MIG welder crossways in the next few weeks, I'll get growled at. If I was to reach for it, I might draw back a stump! I got my own project to fret over, but here a couple teasers:

IMG 54071 Zps18ba64c9

IMG 54051 Zps523c0527  
idrivejunk

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last