High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order
Sticky Thread

Turn Indicators Dash

JoePentium JoePentium
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 05/18/14
01:08 PM

Well,.... I guess I will check in after a year away in protest, and I am still not giving in a cubic inch.
Spaced Booked & NitTwitters can all go take a long walk off of a short pier as far as I am concerned.
Now that that is off of my chest, hi Milt, Brazil, Pontiac8, and the rest of you.
Finally got the front replacement nose,bumper, and lower valance back on.

Found a replacement rubber strip for the rear bumper in OMG how far is this Denton,Tx.
$350 for the entire bumper just to pull the strip off and tossed the rest.
I pulled the old printed circuit from the dash and replaced it with a unit from Kosiski's auto parts in Omaha,Neb. so I could cure a haywire electrical system.
Yep, turn on the headlights and every gauge went all left or right.
I will have to replace the heater core later so I bypassed it and continued with the electrical trouble shooting. I soldered all of the cut wires on the new printed circuit to the existing wires from my dash and connected them with .093 Molex connectors. now I could install the module with the tach, get all of the gauges working and then still be able to disconnect and repair/replace the heater core and new dash as soon as I get a job. oh yeah, I have been out of work since Jan.

Now down to the mud the blood and the beer, [bold]Both of my turn indicators work fine but when the headlights are on both indicators stay dimly lit.
Any suggestions?

I posted new pics of the car in readers rides.  
"If programmers were architects, a single woodpecker could wreck civilization."

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
04:34 PM

Both of my turn indicators work fine but when the headlights are on both indicators stay dimly lit.

ground the front turn signal sockets better...   or.. just for a test..

Bulb External Ground Wire Zps3bf5f3bd

why... because if the front turn signal sockets are not properly grounded.. you will get feedback thru from the parking light circuit thru the turn signal filaments to the turn signal indicators that will make the indicators glow...

i worry that you have also lost the grounds all together.. so the side marker lights are not grounded thru the turn signal filaments and are then feeding back to the turn signal indicators..

and before you can say WHAT.. look at how the side marker bulbs are wired in many models..

Stoptaillightdiagramsmodified Zpsed1dcfab

Cvnford Zpsb47b319f
sometimes you feel like a man alone in a rowboat.. sometimes.. you just need a bigger rowboat..  or a bigger boat.

edit... what a resemblance.. to the ship hull above..

Gmturnsignalcolors2 Zps1f1261aa

i don't recall the year you are working on..

66 67 GTO Dashboard GROUNDING Zps27423a33

72 Chevelle Cluster Ground Connections

68 72Grandprixindicatordashboard Zps17a8d10d

69 72 Grandprixwith Gauges Zps122209bb

69 72Variousgaugecluster Pontiac Zpsc9f59f5c

68 72Novacluster Zps1038a8ac  

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3954 | Joined: 06/09
06:05 PM

Welcome back JP - see all the fun you been missing out on!

Wayne, this would make for a good sticky. A common issue that we all run into with old cars, and this will come in quite handy ... do they make that boat in a mid-size?  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2567 | Joined: 12/09
08:39 PM

A sticky it is.,. consider it done,

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

wayne712222 wayne712222
10:52 PM

Icon QuoteBrazil:
Welcome back JP - see all the fun you been missing out on!

Wayne, this would make for a good sticky. A common issue that we all run into with old cars, and this will come in quite handy ... do they make that boat in a mid-size?

brazil yes... they make that boat in mid size... since you/we are paying for it anyway they ordered the extra large version. think 7/11 big gulp 44 ouncer . this is the wrong forum to mention that ships name.. but you have one of those in your driveway also.  that is the realization of the speech that mentioned.. talk softly and carry a big stick.  that is actually the big stick..   and you should see the kinds of things they can throw off it.  it's actually a throwback to the middle ages.. it has catapults on it.. antique weapons..  

JoePentium JoePentium
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 05/19/14
08:43 AM

The dash printed circuit is from a 76' Grand Prix.
I just got the dash printed circuit with the plastic frame as one piece and they left about 3-4 inches of wire still attached.
Unfortunately they cut the fiber optic leads, is there a way to splice these?  
"If programmers were architects, a single woodpecker could wreck civilization."

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
04:30 PM

"Unfortunately they cut the fiber optic leads, is there a way to splice these?"

Don't know, never tried. But-

I remember the ashtray light on my 75 GP was fiber optic. Freaked me out. Like a clear oh, maybe 1/8 or 3/16" diameter solid cable. Is that what you have? I never got into the cluster on that car, just the console.  

What does the "stump" look like at the cluster end where it was cut?

Guessing at a repair method:

Clean straight cuts on both ends, then super glue or clear epoxy then shrink wrap.

Or, if as I recall its not stranded like computer stuff and might be something that will melt together. Its been a long time ago but I think it was solid clear plastic, not fiberglass. If fiberglass, maybe a drop or two of resin?

First I would probably try just butting the ends with tiny vacuum hose over it. Might transmit light somewhat even with a small break, worth a try.

On your indicators trouble, yep you need better ground somewhere. OR, you are missing the seals inside the instruments that form light compartments behind each lens. They are sometimes foam and crumble to dust, but you can make your own.

Good to hear from you, I was disappointed. I still dig GAs. Keep on ...  Cool  
idrivejunk

wayne712222 wayne712222
05:52 PM

splicing fiberoptics..  not easy... must be cut and ground on a very find diamond grinding wheel to a perfectly square end..  and then the ends placed together in perfect alignment..  usually small diameter copper /brass tubing with some hot glue used to hold the fiberoptic strand covers in the splicing tube..

face to face...  touching..   no adhesive between them ..