Garage inspired parts finish

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Garage inspired parts finish

JoePentium JoePentium
User | Posts: 174 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 05/24/14
09:00 AM

Hey Guys, I was sitting in the garage as I have been for the last 4 months waiting on a recruiter/job to call. This sucks, give me the days when you could walk up to a place and see if they were hiring.
Anyway, I had the turn signal cover that went on the steering column with me trying to figure a way to fill in cracks, build up missing areas and re finish.
My next door neighbor (Frank) came over and was talking to me and said let me try some epoxy putty to fill in the missing areas. Well it worked well but there was still surface discrepancies ( wow 4 syllables and it still before noon)
I used some good old Bondo to cover the bad surfaces and let it cure.
I then used some satin black rattle can ( this stuff can make an engine bay or or under carriage look great!) to cover it. It looked better but still....
Then I spotted a can of rubberized undercoat, hmmmm..........
I sprayed the cover at a distance and hey! this covered all of the surface problems.
This could be used on valve covers and then followed with some satin black on top or maybe re do the steering column with a textured finish heck maybe even make an old dash come back to life.
I also re finished the inside of my turn indicators with a product called Spazstik.
It is available at R/C or some hobby shops. It is one of the best spray can chrome systems I have seen. It is a two part system as you spray the gloss black part first and then the chrome part second. After it dries it looks kinda dusty but you are instructed to take a soft cloth and lightly buff the finish. Well it will do great for restoring the interior reflective surfaces of tail lights short of sending them off to be re chromed. Anyway I thought I would pass it along especially if you are on a really tight budget.  
"If programmers were architects, a single woodpecker could wreck civilization."

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5144 | Joined: 12/09
09:10 AM

Yeah job hunting is the worst. I found the key words to be "lowered expectations".

Rubberized undercoating contains no UV protection, can soften with heat, and dissolves with even mild solvents. But sometimes the appearance is just what you need. Different types of chip resistant coatings are also available, like "rocker panel spray", that can be used to add texture before paint.  
idrivejunk

JoePentium JoePentium
01:13 PM

Yep, I forgot about the heat part, But this is not going to see any heat as it was just a plastic cover. I don't think it will see any solvents either as that is not what I would want to use in the interior. As far as under the hood would the same thing go? Sprayed solvents would discolor a lot of paints used on engines and valve covers should not get that hot should they?  

JoePentium JoePentium
01:13 PM

Yep, I forgot about the heat part, But this is not going to see any heat as it was just a plastic cover. I don't think it will see any solvents either as that is not what I would want to use in the interior. As far as under the hood would the same thing go? Sprayed solvents would discolor a lot of paints used on engines and valve covers should not get that hot should they?  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
05:03 PM

Yep, I forgot about the heat part, But this is not going to see any heat as it was just a plastic cover.

Interiors can get pretty hot but I'd have to do a test to see at what temp the product in question begins to soften, That part is probably never touched so no issue really.

I don't think it will see any solvents either as that is not what I would want to use in the interior.

My mention of chemical resistance was in reference to your suggestion for coating valve covers. Undercoat may absorb oil since it is porous and gas can rinse it away since it can be quite soluble.

As far as under the hood would the same thing go?

Never seen anybody use it there, don't know.

Sprayed solvents would discolor a lot of paints used on engines

Most engine paint can withstand a brief encounter with carb cleaner but that chemical might dissolve undercoat.

... and valve covers should not get that hot should they?  

You're in uncharted territory, I would have to test it to find out.

Did you come back and add the spray chrome part later? Didn't notice it on the first read. I've had good luck with "Bumper Chrome", a single step aerosol. Lots of lamp housings were just white, and that or silver engine paint usually does nicely.  
idrivejunk

JoePentium JoePentium
06:06 PM

Sorry about the double and triple postings guys, but every time I "post" my replies the web site comes back with "sorry there was an error in trying to submit the post"
So I try again and again and each time it is taking the post but telling me there was an error. Behold the great "new and improved site" still sucks and still has bugs after a year.Guess it was done by the same guys that did the SucksCare.gov site.
P.S. Idrive , I used paint thinner to try and remove the undercoating and it would not budge. I am trying it on aluminum next.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
06:20 PM

Thinner doesn't stay wet very long, try WD40 if you want to test chem resistance. You probably bought good quality undercoat, knowing your attention to detail. Should stick to aluminum just fine.

Only click post once and have faith, your first post always shows up but give it at least two minutes. Ignore the error message.  
idrivejunk

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1016 | Joined: 07/11
11:05 PM

what about spray bed liner!  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD