1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

66 GTO Overheating

bellyache bellyache
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 10/13/13
09:14 AM

Well I figured out to start a new Topic
My new 389 build is pretty much stock 30 over I believ 9 to 1 Stock grind cam new 4 core rad at the moment 160 with 1\8 hole for air flowkooler pump with cast allum
impeller and new plates at about 60 thousands It will at idle warm and t stat opens and go right to 210 and when I go on the road it will run 210 and when I stop it will go to 220 and stay there I heat guned the top and bottom and I only have 8 to 10 degrees diff I bypassed the heater core and no change. I have to diff temp sensors 1 is stwert warner and a flowkooler in line temp gage at the top hose going into the rad it also has new clutch fan with stock 7  blade fan and shroud I am in oregon we dont get southern cal heat so I am lost at this time also I am running non ethanol gas you guys have anything I am missing  

4zpeed 4zpeed
Enthusiast | Posts: 368 | Joined: 04/13
09:36 AM

Hi bellyache, your 160 stat may be staying open not allowing enough time for the water to be cooled in the rad. Have you tried a 180-190?

Also a lean air fuel mixture and or retarded timing will contribute to overheating.

Grin  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

70bird 70bird
Guru | Posts: 1064 | Joined: 02/13
04:00 PM

hello

in addition to 4z

what brand is your rad?

alum or brass?

how many blades on fan?

clutch fan or fixed?

did you have cyl wall thickness sonic checked?

how thick in inhes is the core only on your rad?

if 190 - 195 t stat does not fix it your cyl might be thin on one side due to a core shift or rad might be too small [chinese].  

bellyache bellyache
07:42 PM

well I was using a 180 robertson did the same and I had 34 deg total timing and changed metering rods to richin it up I was going get a 190 or 195  

4zpeed 4zpeed
07:56 PM

Hi belly, yes try the 190-195 but also what is your initial timing? See if you can get a bit more out of it as this should reduce temps as well. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Grin  

bellyache bellyache
07:59 PM

well it was a stock rad that had been recored brass copper
it is the orginal 7 blade fan with new clutch
no on the sonic test
the core I believe is the 2.5 which is stock but it might be a chinese and may need to get a new rad usa maybe I suspect the rad is to small thanks for the help  

bellyache bellyache
Posted: 01/02/14
09:42 PM

well I been working to much but did put 195 in and guess what it was about 70 or so in shop and it went to about 198 to 200 on my 2 guages heat gunned top and bottom and had 184 on top and 140 on bottom after warm up and idle for 30 min and could hold my hand on bottom of rad. Havent had time to drive but i feel closer than i was
also found huge air gap on sides of shroud which the car didnt have new but it does pull the air  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 465 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 01/03/14
12:00 AM

So it is all happy now?

the chinese cores and rads typically have tubes that are less than 1/2 plus they are often narrower than us made tubes.  

dond1965 dond1965
User | Posts: 116 | Joined: 12/13
09:04 AM

how many psi is the cap rated at? ill bet if you use a 18 psi cap and a BIG electric cooling fan your problems will go away. that would be a fan with proper shroud.  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2567 | Joined: 12/09
10:21 AM

"also found huge air gap on sides of shroud which the car didnt have new but it does pull the air"

Plugs the gaps and your OEM clutch fan will keep your engine cool.
Electric fans are only capable of 40 MPH wind velocity.,. many posters in the past, have had cooling issues with them.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

4zpeed 4zpeed
01:44 PM

+1 Tuff,
Outstanding, glad to hear it's on the mend Belly, do as Tuff suggests and you should be good to go, don't forget to check your initial if you haven't just in case, and good luck.

Grin  

dond1965 dond1965
04:58 PM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
"also found huge air gap on sides of shroud which the car didnt have new but it does pull the air"

Plugs the gaps and your OEM clutch fan will keep your engine cool.
Electric fans are only capable of 40 MPH wind velocity.,. many posters in the past, have had cooling issues with them.

Smile

news flash oem manufacturers.... YOU HAVE GONE TO THE WRONG TECHNOLOGY AND NEED TO GO BACK!!! Confused  Shocked..... wow 40 mph while sitting in traffic, ooooh noo mr. bill!! Ooo p.s.  .... a coolant recovery tank is a M-U-S-T. Cool  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 2567 | Joined: 12/09
08:46 PM

Bravo dond, I find your post is a wee bit on the rude and caustic side.,. OEM clutch fans do a great job of pulling sufficient airflow through the rad and shroud, provided there are no gaps on the perimeter of the shroud to leak air.,. and I don't agree that it is "wrong" technology.,. but everything new and improved is not always better than something that has proven it's worth, over time.
Electricity and electric fans have been with us for a hundred years or more.,. aluminum rads were in aircraft before you and I were born.
The poster already has a new clutch fan,,,, so explain to me how going to an electric fan is going to remedy the situation.,. or are you going to back track and also suggest, as I did, that he plug his gaps.
There is also no need to draw OEM manufacturers into this.,. they do what is most cost effective and Chinese electric fans are their choice.
Are they better than the clutch type, I doubt it, but they are cheaper.
My post was simple and direct and will cost him nothing but a bit of time.,. your suggestion costs money that he may not have to spend just yet.
On a final note, I've been around these forums for a long time and I have seen many,,, many posts where the "new and improved" electric fans failed miserably.,.
Namaste

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

dond1965 dond1965
Posted: 01/04/14
12:52 AM

the oem manufacturers know YOU are not rude and will change back asap.... since you WANT me to play the dunce and the teacher at the same time i'll see how stupid the facts can be when I explain them. an engine driven fan is dependent on engine rpm,so the faster the engine turns the faster the fan turns. the faster the fan turns the more air it moves. while moving at low speeds or sitting idling the engine is turning low rpm, so the fan is turning slow, thus moving little amounts of air. now the light bulb burns bright in some ones head 30 years ago at a car factory.he says to himself... if i put an electric fan in there to cool the radiator, it wont be dependent on engine rpm and can move max air all the time I WANT IT TOO!! since those other guys put mechanicals in before i came here to design cars i'll convince others that we should use the electric unit instead on its merit. so now 30 years later you cant pop the hood on a new car and find a mechanical fan, because the professional engineers at the factory are convinced that is smarter to use an electric fan instead of the mechanical fan the earlier professional engineers had been installing in earlier models. i hope that was dumb enough to apease you. as always i've answered the question to the best of my ability using the best information available to me at the moment. if you insist that E=mc3 i wont agree. if you beat me up to prove your point, stupid me, i still wont agree. happy?  

dond1965 dond1965
Posted: 01/04/14
11:25 AM

a little back ground on my dry wit personality.... i was kicked out of the mentally gifted minor program in third grade because i wouldnt kiss the teachers butt and she didnt like being proven wrong by a kid. the tenth grade auto shop teacher was none to happy when i showed him the picture of a hipo foam air filter after he wrongfully corrected me that lawnmowers were the only things that used them, after me answering the question of what types of air filters are used in autos. i stated oil bath, paper, cotton gauze and foam. pat hale who went to high school with me, the inventor of the dyno-sim, gave me all i asked for and then some with his increasing knowledge of computers and my input during some conversations. note im NOT riding his coat tails or claiming he stole any thing.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last