cold weather block cleaning pre assembly

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

cold weather block cleaning pre assembly

marbil marbil
New User | Posts: 38 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 11/26/13
07:46 PM

I need some ideas to clean my block in 30* weather before assembling my short block, detached garage about 60 feet from the house, I can hook a hose to hot water but it wont stay hot after traveling thru 60' of hose.
I really want to put this thing together this weekend.
I know you guy's and gal's will have some great ideas.
Bill  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 161 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 11/27/13
12:39 AM

a 5 or six gallon plastic bucket...

one of these..

Image 16546

1000 GPH 12V Bilge Pump
Pacific Hydrostar - item#66095 at Hf under 20 bucks.

this gives you the ability to create a significant amount of flush water...

you could also do it with this 8 buck wash nozzle if you have compressed air. and you could even siphon right out a thermal bottle with this one..

Image 14019
Engine Cleaning Gun
SKU 68290
Brand Central Pneumatic
Air inlet size 1/4 in.

Description
This powerful engine cleaning gun is lightweight, easy to handle and reaches into tricky spots—or anywhere you need it to reach! Quickly remove dirt, grease, salt, mud and more with this cleaning gun. The cleaning gun package includes a four-foot solvent suction hose with a built-in solution strainer. Use any solvent you choose with your engine cleaning gun, an essential tool for farmers, truckers, contractors, shops and garages.

Lightweight and easy to handle
   Includes 4 foot solvent suction hose with built-in solution strainer
   Air consumption: 3 CFM @ 60 PSI

you have several options to make hot water...

gallons kept in the big cooler used to keep food cold for summer..

got a big old coffee maker.. that will make hot water..  you might want to think about wrapping it in fiberglass with aluminum foil  or build a box for it to sit in.. out of foam insulation sheathing..   if you build it big enough.. you could set it over the engine block and the top of the engine and stand top..

these are just cheep ideas...  

shyrgfuh1 shyrgfuh1
User | Posts: 70 | Joined: 11/13
02:18 AM

i had a cam go flat and send ultra fine shrapnel thru the entire eng so i went to the hardware store and bought a 2 gallon plastic bug sprayer or yard chemical sprayer what ever they call it.

it has a pump handle on it so it can be pressurized

i bought a few gallons of cleaner like liquid orange so it would leave little to no residue but it would remove oil and dumped that in the sprayer and i could get in all the cam oil holes with the nozzle on the sprayer.

i went to the car wash and cleaned it goo first the used the bug sprayer then used straight water from the car wash to rinse it out.

you can also use cheap paint thinner in the big sprayer. this will remove all oil.

you can also use hot water with the liquid cleaner then refill the sprayer with straight hot water. this way it will not get cold.

70 bird  

marbil marbil
05:18 PM

Great ideas guy's
Wayne I am really liking the siphon venturi nozzle for the air line, I am going to try that.
I could siphon it right out of a boiling pot of water on my beer cooker, HA HA!  

4zpeed 4zpeed
Enthusiast | Posts: 351 | Joined: 04/13
06:10 PM

Hey marbil,
A thought, you could just cut a 55 gallon drum in half, fill it with some soapy water and point a torpedo heater at it. Make yourself comfy with a 6 pack. Let it cook for a while, scrubbing intermittently while enjoying the environment.

Grin  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 161 | Joined: 10/13
07:57 PM

do you have an set of oil galley cleaning brushes..

some parts stores have them for sale.. napa stores will also have them..

http://www.enginehones.com/ogk.html

Yhst 49953450248353 2271 14059102

i don't know what size you need.. for a poncho..

next motor i build for myself.. i am going to pick up some of the ball hones in the proper size.. like for honing shot gun barrels..  so i can polish the oil galleys all the way thru..  

marbil marbil
08:54 PM

Yeh I do have a set of brushes, my big concern was just dealing with the cold weather, man I hate winter.
I do have a wood stove in the garage.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 4985 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 11/28/13
09:39 AM

Theres always the kitchen to clean / build engines in ...  Wink  Lay down some plastic and send the lady shopping.  
idrivejunk

marbil marbil
Posted: 12/01/13
09:25 AM

OK, the air siphon does not perform as good as I thought it would, the water was cold by the time it came out, I even insulated the hose and it wasn't much water to boot, ended up scrubbing with hot soapy water and then rinsing with boiling water right out of the brew pot.  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 279 | Joined: 11/13
09:29 AM

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
Theres always the kitchen to clean / build engines in ...  Wink  Lay down some plastic and send the lady shopping.

do you have any idea how long of a shopping trip that would be?

i don't know about you but i'd be broke by the time mine came back.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 4985 | Joined: 12/09
10:21 AM

Naw, hell I'm dumber than a bag of hammers.

Marbil, glad you found something that worked. Winter sure complicates car fixing!  
idrivejunk

Mr.Milt Mr.Milt
Guru | Posts: 1135 | Joined: 08/08
11:11 AM

Hello everyone:

Sorry I am coming to this a bit late.  I have two suggestions.  

Frist take it to a machine shop and let them boil it out.  The last one i didn, many years ago, came out perfect and didn't cost that much and I didn't have a mess to clean up.

Second, use your pressure washer with hot water.  Most water heaters have a hose bib - build a little plastic tent around it and a little scrubbing and presto changeo clean motor.  Even with the plastic it will make a mess though and it can be a lot of work.

Considering the chemicals, work, brushes, mess, cold, and time - I would definitely go with the machine shop boil.

Milt