1998 pontiac grand prix 3800 v6 { spark plug wires are stuck}

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

1998 pontiac grand prix 3800 v6 { spark plug wires are stuck}

valadoor1 valadoor1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/24/13
12:30 PM

I can not get the back 3 wires off , its like they are super glued on . I twist and pull but wont come off.there isnt anuff room with the heat shield on the plug wires to grab them with pliers and the heat shield just spins so i cant grab that and spin it cus it spins freely . WHAT DO I DO ?   Confused  Confused  Confused  

gto66 gto66
Enthusiast | Posts: 488 | Joined: 11/08
12:46 PM

On my 2000 I had a shop change my plugs at about 95,000. They soaked them but don't know what they used. But long story it ruined two of the plugs wires. So I changed the wires my self. I took the two old wires to Autozone and got wires the same length for about $4.00 apiece. Cheaper than buying a whole new set. And yes it is hard to get to the back wires.

Bob  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
01:13 PM

absolutely...

they are going to tear either the boot or rip the terminal off the end of the wire..

these go long enough between spark plug changes that swapping on new wires at the same time is a good idea..

please be sure to use some boot grease inside the boot to seal the high voltage in..

its also easier to take the torque strut loose.  have some friends rock the car.. till the engine rocks forward .. and set the parking brake with the engine rolled forward..

shhhh!!! i lost my tool to rock it forward.. so i take the easy way.

Tay 43392 7057
    Taylor     # TAY-43392
taylor makes a neat tool that you might be able to duplicate if you can find some 3/16" welding rod..  0------------)    bend the welding rod around a 3/8 inch drive extension ..  so you have a nice round bend..  cut it so you have a J shape..   mark it 10 inches from the bottom of the J ... bend the wire around a socket or pipe the size of your first finger between the first and second knuckle..

you want a tool about 6 or 7 inches long.. clamp the J in a vice and bend 90 degrees..

so you have the hook on the J that is now like a foot..  you can slip that between the top of the hex on the spark plug and the boot.. your finger thru the loop.. hope you filed the cut end to prevent the metal from cutting your finger..

mine came from sears craftsman.. but they don't have any more. i have a bend in mine..  

valadoor1 valadoor1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
01:22 PM

I got the pasenger back side #2 wire but still cant the other 2 off Frown  

dond1965 dond1965
User | Posts: 116 | Joined: 12/13
01:43 PM

take a sharp knife and cut them off. change the plugs and put on a fresh set of quality wires. be sure and use a generous amount of di-electric grease in the boots so it might not happen next time if you plan to keep the car.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5151 | Joined: 12/09
01:51 PM

I drive a 99 and have a certain pry bar that I use to get those last two, it just barely reaches the edge of the shield and between that plus pulling with the other hand, it works but you will cuss at it. If you take the wishbones loose like Wayne said and gently powerbrake it in reverse then set the parking brake, that will move the engine for better access. Just be careful so the lower mounts or exhaust flex joint aren't damaged when doing that. If all else fails, get a big man in there to put some serious muscle on it. I have to position myself over the engine and use all my might.  
idrivejunk