door glass

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

door glass

wvtrucktires wvtrucktires
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/30/14
01:56 PM

Does any one have any information on installing window sweep in the door glass of a 1964 Pontiac GTO hardtop?  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5139 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 01/30/14
04:34 PM

Howdy. Whats the trouble you're having? I don't have one to look at and see which way its set up. If it goes behind the vent glass assembly, that may have to come out. Usually, if the trouble is that the window doesn't roll down far enough to unscrew the screws or unclip the clips, the answer is to loosen or remove the "down stop". Its a rubber block on an adjustable bracket that limits downward window travel and keeps the glass from going below the fuzzies too far. Thats normally one bolt thru a slot down low on the inside of the door behind the trim panel. If thats not the kind of info you're needing, be more specific and I or one of the other members can probably tell you what you're needing to know. If I recall correctly, those cars have a wide chrome strip at the top of the door ("belt molding"), and while its a seperate piece from the fuzzy, it attaches with the same row of screws.  
idrivejunk

Posted: 01/31/14
08:50 AM

Problem is lower chrome window sash at bottom of door glass, damages inner window sweep when rolled up. If I adjust window down, then it leaves a gap at the top of the door glass. This is my third restoration of a 1964 GTO and I never ran across this problem before.  

08:51 AM

Problem is lower chrome window sash at bottom of door glass, damages inner window sweep when rolled up. If I adjust window down, then it leaves a gap at the top of the door glass. This is my third restoration of a 1964 GTO and I never ran across this problem before.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5139 | Joined: 12/09
03:26 PM

That kind of sounds like maybe theres a wrong "sash" or "glass track", the part attached to the bottom of the window glass. Perhaps a salvage window off another model was installed at some point and isn't quite right. Or the glass could be incorrectly installed in the track. Or a vertical window guide could be bent.

Probably the most likely story is that the door has been skinned and has a too narrow or misaligned glass opening at the top of the door shell.  

Either of those ideas could be checked by referring to the other side, if its intact and works right. You might try taking the sweep out and seeing if the angle of the flange looks right or whether its bent.  
idrivejunk