Battery - 69 GP 428

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Battery - 69 GP 428

69GP_WGF 69GP_WGF
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 02/23/14
09:29 AM

Hey guys, long time - glad spring is approaching.  Stupid question, or at least easy one?

Need to replace battery in my 69 GP (428, TH400).  I haven't gotten to engine rebuild, but getting close - got car out, fired up yesterday - my excitement is coming back after long winter.

I need a lot of things - will do engine, suspension upgrades - and maybe eventually paint, etc (driver paint quality now, which is fine).  But, I need to replace the battery.  I know this is a simple question, but I was wondering if it is worth the money for the big bucks batteries - my car will always be garaged, and will be driven sparingly on weekends, never raced.

I know the more expensive batteries have more cranking amps, and can sit for a while longer than normal - but is it really worth it - assuming car may go several weeks to maybe a month or so without being fired up in winters?

Sorry for simple question, but I don't want to waste money.

Walt  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Moderator | Posts: 235 | Joined: 10/13
03:10 PM

i have had great luck with costco batteries..

a few things..  if you have an OE radio.  you won't have a battery drain..

if you have some kind of electronic radio.. you will have a slight battery draw.. parasitic draw..

you can install one of the plastic rocker switches in the keep alive memory wiring to the radio.. so you could actually reach under the dash and flip it off for times you store the car..  yes.. you will have to reset the stations.. but when you leave it on while you are driving it on weekends..

a battery trickle charger wired in almost anywhere in the car.. will work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-amp-three-stage-onboard-battery-charger-maintainer-99857.html

please... use a GFCI outlet to plug the extension cord into...  just incase something happens to the extension..  rodent.. pets.. children..,

please test for parasitic draw like this.. ENGINE OFF..

Current Draw

0.030 milliamps  or 3/100ths of an amp is what most new cars have.. and one of their fully charged batteries will stayup about 2 weeks without running at that current..
i have found some car stereos.. with a 0.257 milliamp draw.. key off.  thats a quarter amp.. that car discharged the battery if you let it sit more than 10  or 15 hours..

depending of the color of the top of the battery..

with a brand new battery..  you will also want to dig into your tool box.. look for some RTV.. carefully wipe a small amount around the base of the lead battery post where it contacts the plastic..  this seals the top of the battery better.. prevents any acid  vapors from leaking up thru the tiny gap where the lead shrinks away from the plastic top cover..  this prevents corroded battery cables really well.  

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1015 | Joined: 07/11
06:43 PM

i always get the highest cca battery that will fit in the hole! at least 1000 cca. 20 bucks will get you a battery maintainer at walmart i meen chinamart!  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5138 | Joined: 12/09
07:22 PM

I think they list 78 as the group size on our GPs, so up to that size may fit. I end up using a size 74 battery in a 72 month quality. 900 CCA or better. That same battery will fit most GPs, new, old, or in-between if you get dual terminals. Too tall and it may not fit under the core support. House brands last about like "good" ones in my experience, they all normally outlast the intended lifetime easily. Warranty is always important on batteries! I use mine about like you described, and charge it after long cold spells when it sits. I get six or seven years out of a battery that way. The super-fancy batteries are overkill if you ask me on the GP, save those for the rides with special needs like mounting challenges, EFI+OD conversions and/or heavily amplified stereos. Expect to spend $130-150 or so, and look for a trusted and locally popular brand.  
idrivejunk