Still heating up, but no squeeeel

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Still heating up, but no squeeeel

65pmdgto1 65pmdgto1
Enthusiast | Posts: 510 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/23/14
01:11 PM

Well after spending a couple of days in the shop, while it's still spitting snow, the PS belt problem is a done deal. Makes a guy feel good to get'er done. Thanks again for your help guys. Grin  
While at it I did some spring cleaning and oil change, plugs, new brake booster, and welded a pin hole exhaust leak. Also replaced the fan clutch. Had a Hayden severe duty unit on it with a 7 blade 18" fan and shroud in place. I returned that unit to the guys over at O'Reily's and they replaced it with a new, same type, and I installed it while I the PS was off.
Last year in August went to a big rod run in Golden, CO. The traffic jam was terrible. The temp was in the high 90s. So my problem child got a little warm 230-240 for about 15 minutes until I could get some air through the radiator. Soon as I got to 35 MPH it cooled down to 195-200. On I-70 and doing 65 it was back to 180.  Frown
Today after it warmed up and I had all four back on the ground I took the car out for a short ride to make sure the brake bleed job was good. That proved the brakes to be good. I even got the front discs to release better. With it still running back in the shop I dug out the timing light just to check it. I played around and it probably sat there for maybe 10 minutes. The temp gauge was at 200 when I shut it off. That's no real big deal right but the new clutch fan wasn't what I expected. It's not free wheeling but not as tight as I think it should be. I got my laser temp gun out and the fan, about an inch from the radiator, was running about 145. The center of radiator was about the same. I took a reading at the thermostat housing and it was about 190. I'm just wondering if the kit to help get more air through the radiator, the rubberized material used by the factory would help this thing or is it the wrong clutch fan for this set up. Should I be using the more standard heavy duty clutch instead with this fan clutch. Sorry I usually go with more or bigger is better but maybe not in this particular application??????   Confused  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5172 | Joined: 12/09
01:16 PM

I went through the same thing and ended up back with a standard duty fan clutch. When you're standing at the parts counter and the sales person asks you: "Standard, heavy duty, or severe duty?", well, whats a red blooded grown man gonna say? Ha.  
idrivejunk

ROWSLEY ROWSLEY
Guru | Posts: 1016 | Joined: 07/11
08:25 PM

dido. had the same belt squeelin for mercy at anything over 4000 rpm!

anyway you can get more air through the radiator at low speed will help. rubber baffels or lower air dam. i've even raised the back of my hood up to let hot air out! 1" long spacers and 1" longer hood bolts at the rear of the hood.  
76 455/4spd TRANS AM
69 GRAND PRIX 455/5SPD

65pmdgto1 65pmdgto1
Enthusiast | Posts: 510 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/24/14
07:21 PM

When this car was in pieces I thought seriously about cutting in the TA fender side vents and making them functional like a GNX. Or using a set from a GNX, they are repoped. And I was going to have the hood louvered too. But now I'm not going to cut up a finished car and will have find other ideas to get'er done.