Engine Removal Question?

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine Removal Question?

clande99 clande99
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/13/14
05:06 AM

Long story but the 400 has to come out of my 67 Firebird to fix oil pump drive shaft. I have always taken the whole dive train together but that has always been because of restoration and wanted it all out anyway. Considering whether it would be easier to remove just the engine and leave the Tremec 5spd in the car? If I try this would you split at the bellhousing/motor or at the transmission? Any ideas/warnings would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 496 | Joined: 11/13
12:53 PM

hello;

to do it without removing the trans first you need around 9" from the front of the engine to the firewall because this is how far forward it must come for your clutch cover to clear the bellhousing. if need be, you can remove the water pump and/or crank damper.

rent a tilt bar as wayne suggested but one with just 2 chains for the engine will work just fine too.

remove top bell housing bolts.

jack engine up until the bell housing stops.

lower the engine 1/2".

put jack under trans until it just touches for support.

split at belhousing.

yank er out.

put trans in gear for installationm

use two guys for install to stabilize engine.

once close tilt engine so it is EXACTLY, EXACTLY, EXACTLY the same anfle as the bellhousing. this cabnn be done by eye.

someone may have to pull down on the clutch fork slightly once the engine is close because it will be hanging down slightly on the bearing end.

the engine will NOT go all the way in at first. this is because it does not want to get run hard once installed. when it stops put some long bolts in the side of the bellhousing. this helps keep things aligned.

also it will no longer be square to the trans. it just works out that way, lol, so square it up again.

now one guy pushes on the engine as the other turns the crank with a big bar to line up the splines in the trans. and it MAY magically fall in.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5168 | Joined: 12/09
04:30 PM

Welcome aboard, Craig. Bumz on the pump drive.

If the Tremec is not really heavy and you use a mechanical clutch linkage, and your lifting device is not the greatest, I might drop the trans first then remove engine and bellhousing.

if you have a nice strong cherry picker and a leveler and theres no overhead space limitations, carefully pull it all at once to reduce reinstallation labor.  
idrivejunk

clande99 clande99
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/16/14
06:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I know my crane and load leveler can handle the whole drive train just not sure if I have enough lift to get it all out and clear the fenders. When the engine went in and out the front clip was off.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5168 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 06/18/14
08:09 PM

I had to put a jack under my 69 GP and remove the wheels to drop it low enough to swing just the engine across. So good luck. I was probably using the heavier boom setting so that sacrificed some height.  
idrivejunk