1973 GTO DOOR TRIM

High Performance Pontiac
Item Posts    Sort Order

1973 GTO DOOR TRIM

timsseadoo timsseadoo
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 06/27/14
02:55 PM

I am looking for the trim at the top of the door on the outside of a 1973 GTO. I don't think this is reproduced. Does anybody know where I could possibly buy these used??  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5139 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 06/28/14
06:04 PM

Are you talking about the belt molding? The exterior trim at the top of the doors?

Those things must be made of unobtainium, even the Chevy version isn't reproduced. I don't have an answer for you but how about some free advice with a smile?  Smile

Smog era (as I call it) A-body parts can be a challenge, as you have found. However, and I realize how long its been, there are some loopholes. For example:

In 2005, I had a '76 el Camino I wanted to freshen up. Drip rails were gone, belt moldings were cooked like yours may be. Plastic tail lamp housings were shot.

I was amazed to find that the belt moldings were still available new from GM, since I worked at a dealer with an old-school parts man who hoarded the old books. The toughest part can be finding the part number to ask for. You would get blank looks at most dealer parts counters. Aftermarket manufacturers aren't going to make a part you can still get new from the OE, think about it.

My point is- GM knows what parts are being reproduced but they don't care if you can find out whats still available new, at least on 73-77 A-bodies. The GM "Restoration Parts" focus on the popular models so a dead end there may not mean the part isn't out there but that nobody knows how to ask for it.

Enough about that. If I remember correctly, this part is made of:

One stainless strip with bright rolled edge.

One plain steel top strip that was coated in thick low gloss black that cracks.

One wide rubber sealing strip.

Not sure how they go on, my truck was smashed before I could restore it so I sent back the moldings and never saw how they clip on.

Point being- the stainless and steel parts can be restored, and some sort of bulk seal material could be substituted so maybe you could freshen your existing parts with some ingenuity. I poked around on the web and came up empty on replacements too, so I thought I would suggest possible solutions.  
idrivejunk