1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

TRYING TO LOCATE MY OLD 69 GTO!!

jbmacneil jbmacneil
Enthusiast | Posts: 542 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/18/14
01:50 PM

Hey Guys,
 Im soo excited as I know you guys knew I have been hoping to locate my old 69 GTO that may or may not have been a Judge.  I have NEW INFO!! The car was sold in 1988 to a couple guys in Portland Oregon.  Some of the good Guys on here told me that if I only had the VIN, I stood a good chance of finding her!! Well, low and behold I took a chance after locating an old photo of my beloved car with the Oregon license plate visable!  I called DMV for Oregon and spoke with a really cool guy who was very helpful after I told him the story and he gave me the VIN off of my old car.  The car was sold in 1989 to someone else which he doesnt have record of.  I can give the vin to you all if anyone has an idea on how to locate it or a good reputable website with a vin search for old cars?? Thanks guys!!! JB  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
Enthusiast | Posts: 496 | Joined: 11/13
04:13 PM

hello;

unfortunately, the reality is, the odds of finding your car are around 0, nada, zilch.

most states have privacy laws so even if you knew what state it was in you likely could bot get any info at all on it. in states where you might, you typically have to fill out a form.

for the dmv to give you owner info over the phone is unheard of these days but call them back and get the buyers info if they will tell you.

jbmacneil jbmacneil
08:40 PM

Oh Shy, you doubting Thomas!! Wink I am a glass is half full, positive thinking individual!!  Also, I have to say because of my past career, as long as the car is registered in the United States, I will locate it!! And Lord willing I will be able to reach all of you (my friends) on this website still to let you know how it came to pass! Oh, I retired after just shy of 20 with a branch of federal law enforcement.  So I have a few contacts still that may help me in this situation!! But I appreciate and respect your input. JB  

bigD bigD
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 07/19/14
12:54 AM

My 1st Pontiac and the only new car I ever owned was a '69 RA3 GTO. So I can understand. Hey, I ain't no doubtin Thomas. I'm gonna believe you can find it, and that it will be in restorable condition. Hey, that would be almost a miracle. But, I've seen some ! So I'm a believer.

Don't give up on it.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/james/1-5-compare.html  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
01:17 AM

hello;

jb, lol well of course we all want you to find it and i certainly hope with your connections that you can, however, as far as calif dmv goes, they could care less if the president or the pope were asking for this info, they ain't tellin nobody nothin unless they have been presented with legal paperwork forcing them to. they are not the friendly type. now if you go to alabama where registrations for any old car are around 20 bucks and people are friendly, the dmv might tell you anything you want to know.

obviously the police can get info when they pull someone over etc., but they can not run a plate unless they have a reason to which means there has to be a report. they used to be able to but that changed years ago.

also calif no longer keeps any records after 3 - 5 years. if someone bought it 5 years ago and transferred title to themselves but did not file a non op or have it registered for 5 years that record is long gone never to return.

it may have been shipped overseas also so you can check with customs because dmv will not have a record of this.  

gtojack1366 gtojack1366
Guru | Posts: 1277 | Joined: 11/09
05:14 AM

Just because you find it doesn't mean the owner wants to sell it or even have anything to do with you . The original owner of my son's El Camino found out where it was and kept coming in the High School parking lot and leaving notes on the car and talking to kids in the parking lot about who owns the car  .He kept bugging my son to sell the car to him .My son called him creepy .I said just tell him the cars not for sale . I always sell my cars to people I don't know .Out of sight out of mind . I never tried to find any of the cars I ever owned .  

jbmacneil jbmacneil
10:34 AM

Hey Shy, I can tell you from experience that there is no report generated when a license plate is run. If you go through a dispatch center then they will have a "log entry", but if an individual agent, officer, offical, or whoever has the ability, runs a plate there is no report generated other than the record of it through NCIC. Just food for thought. And GTOjack, you are one of the ones I have always been able to count on like Idrive when I need help working on or how to my GTO!! I understand what youre saying about someone being creepy and that they may not even talk to me. But I can promise you that I would not appear or in any way come across as creepy, and if they dont want to talk to me, at least I know where it is and I can always steal it back!! Wink Kidding. JB  

jbmacneil jbmacneil
10:39 AM

Hey James, thanks and I also like that bible verse at the bottom of your post!! This site is filled with awesome people!! I really wish I was more computer savvy because I would sure start another really similar site that we could all just transfer to. If folks wanted to? Im hearing some that used to be on here are pretty upset and have just bailed? Too bad.  Still good people. JB  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
04:40 PM

hello jb;

yes, i didn't mean a written report per se but i worked with the enforcement agencies here and several of my friends are sheriffs and local police and i guarantee you they can no longer run a plate without a valid reason.  

they used to run plates for us all the time for various reasons but they were prohibited from doing that maybe 20 years ago.

if a private dmv service runs a ksr and the vehicle turns up with a doj stop on it they will get a call or a visit from the authorities asking who they ran it for and where that person lives etc..

some states are different.

i also used to do the testing and development on the kawasaki police bikes for kawasaki when i ran the r and d dept there so i knew a few officers thru that also.

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5165 | Joined: 12/09
05:38 PM

JB, I'd bet that the vast majority people who have been active members in the past and still drive Pontiacs read most of what goes on here. Call them out by username and find out! Its a matter of how long they can hold an imaginary grudge. I kinda doubt that any substitute sites will pop up but theres plenty of forums out there, in which to gather for fellowship.

I'll pick this spot to mention that waynep (waynecyclopedia) may or may not be heard from again. An injury with life threatening implications involved in the repair surgery put him down. If we don't hear from him by Christmas or so, I was told to assume the worst and carry on. Send good vibes to the west edge for that situation... and reflect on his forum efforts here and all around the interweb.

Bible verses- I would use caution with those. Unless you can be OK with Koran quotes, buddhist proverbs and the like. Its no longer safe to assume that everyone is cool with scripture or public prayer or christians in general, and folks who care will go way out of their way to get offended and publicly punish someone to assert their own freedom of choice. Beware.

I have no clue how to find an ex-car, so no help. Glad you found a footprint so you can start tracking. You won't find any more unless you keep digging. Alas, everything you find is in the last place you looked for it! Your ambiguous description of your career has me wondering if you were X-files. Ha! Hope you didn't have one of those tote a full auto weapon all day jobs. Peace, JB.  
idrivejunk

jbmacneil jbmacneil
06:07 PM

Idrive, as you know, you are the one I will miss the most!! But Im hoping we will stay in touch! You have been instrumental in the so far completed work on my 69 goat project.  I will keep Wayne in my prayers, and while you and I are good friends, I understand your comment about the bible verses, but when we have to start worrying about those that we will offend because of our faith and belief in God, Im thinking, I dont worry to much about those folks.  No offense to anyone, but Im sure God would be a little disappointed in me and anyone else for not standing up for what I think is right and can back up.  Either way, I wish everyone the best on this site and for the future and I for one will always have good thoughts about all those on here!!JB  

bigD bigD
User | Posts: 155 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 07/20/14
12:42 AM

Yeah, is this a great country or what ? You can worship Mohammed, Budda, a celebrity, or the Devil himself. You can be an atheist, an agnostic, or just confused and unsure of what you believe. No matter what you believe, as long as you abide by the law, you can live here and enjoy our freedoms.

Religious freedom was one of the foundations of our country. I personally choose to believe in the God of the Bible and his Son Jesus. But I don't expect everybody else to. If they don't, that is their choice. But, right on the other hand, I don't think anybody else has any right to expect me to never say anything about my God or what I believe.

So, whether it's politically correct or not, and regardless of who it may offend, I make absolutely no apology for being a born again Christian, worshiping the God of the Bible and His Son Jesus, and praying to God in the name of Jesus, expecting to get an answer. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord ! Ya'll can do whatever you choose. I'm not better than anybody else, but I am forgiven. PTL ! Amen !  

tempest1964 tempest1964
User | Posts: 66 | Joined: 11/11
05:16 AM

Amen to tolerance and understanding. And amen to you BigD. Finally, good luck to you jpmacneil. :-)  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5165 | Joined: 12/09
09:53 AM

Thanks for illustrating my point guys. JB I didn't lay a hand on your car but I do feel like I helped you wade through some potentially disatrous decisions. Glad to be of service to someone with a shared passion. Got you in my phone so no fears about getting lost. Doesn't look like we're going to be missing one another entirely any time soon due to throwing this website in the recycle bin. This forum is just as active and productive today as it has been since I've watched it. Thanks for that go to our members' well-rounded mix of technical experiences.

It would be a mind-blower to find that Goat, Jason. After you do, lets find Dad's Sprint6 that he bought new. I just want to say hello and touch it if its still alive!  
idrivejunk

Brazil Brazil
Addict | Posts: 3964 | Joined: 06/09
05:43 PM

That's how I feel about my special edition Black & Silver '81 Bandit. It was stolen the first month I had it. They develop a mystic about them after a time, and kind of intensify in coolness in your mind. I've decided to paint my '79 Trans Am, "Frankenstein" with the same color combo. It kind of looks like an old Rat Fink car with a 2 foot shifter coming up from the carpet..  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last